It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: fuel reserves
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:05 am 

State/Province: IN
City: Bloomington
Hey,
Im new to motorcycles and I know that I have a fuel reserve but how do I use it? Does it shift over automaticly? I have a 99 honda rebel 250. I get about 110 miles to the tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:28 am 

Motorcycle: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
You have a control lever on the left hand side (as you sit on the bike) of the fuel tank. It switches between three positions. On, Reserve, and Off. In the Off position, fuel cannot flow from the tank to the carburetors. The On and Reserve position both allow fuel to flow, but the On position pulls from an elevated position inside the tank. Because of this, when the fuel goes below that position (leaving approx. .7 gallons in the tank), the bike will sputter and eventually die. As soon as you notice any sputtering, switch the lever to Reserve. You now know that you have a minimal amount of fuel remaining to get you to a gas station. When you fill up, flip the lever back to the normal On position so you'll have the same warning next time.

You should practice flipping the lever while riding so it's a procedure you're comfortable performing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:40 am 

Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Round Rock
What fastpaker said. :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 am 

Motorcycle: 2006 Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Metro Atlanta
Welcome! :wave:

Definitely practice. The first time this happened to me on my first tank of gas I had to pull over to find the lever :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:24 pm 

Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:53 am 

Thanks for the tip. I was definitely not aware of what that "reserve" position did on the fuel control lever. I'm finding it interesting you said your 99 Rebel 250 does 110M per tank. Here in Canada I rode about 130 M on my 1985, without switching to the 'Reserve' position. I'm surprised because your bike is very likely in much better shape than my 25 years old - 7 previous owners Rebel 250. I only use the more expensive 95 octane gas, could that be the reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:36 am 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
Octane does not affect milage. The Rebel needs 87. Anything more just soothes the mind and lightens the wallet.
My local Bp "runs out" of regular about once a month. I throw 91 in then but grumbel a bit about the price difference.
No milage change, no running change and no maintenance change, just a lighter pocket when pulling out!

Mines an '87 that I bought new. I tend to get 120 to 130 miles before needing reserve. I just like to fill up at 110 or so.

'61 Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:08 am 

State/Province: TN
City: Camden
That reserve thing really comes in handy when you aren't paying attention to the miles. The hard part to remember is putting it back to ON after you fill up.
Use 87 octane only. Our Rebels actually run worse on anything higher because higher octane fuel burns slower.

86' Limited 250 - 1 of 600 made :rofl:
92' Shadow 1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:12 am 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: 1985 Rebel 250 - 1999 ACE 750
State/Province: NY
City: New York
tbunton1

take the time to read the owners manual from cover to cover, theres gonna be plenty useful info in there that comes in handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:22 pm 

State/Province: FL
City: Lakeland
bB2NER wrote:
That reserve thing really comes in handy when you aren't paying attention to the miles. The hard part to remember is putting it back to ON after you fill up.

One additional bit of information is that you should turn the petcock to OFF when you're shutting the Rebel off for the day. I usually turned it to OFF even a half-block or so before home. That way the Rebel doesn't sit with fuel pressure on the carb. Of course, doing it this way, the hard part to remember is putting it back to ON when you're starting out the next day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Automatic reserve would kind of defeat the purpose wouldn't it? :lol: Then it would run out of gas for the second and final time without letting you know about the FIRST time. If you are in the habit (as you should be) of switching fuel OFF every time you shut down, and ON again every time you start, you should have no difficulty reaching down there and flipping to reserve before you slow down too much when the engine quits..

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:20 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: 1985 Rebel 250 - 1999 ACE 750
State/Province: NY
City: New York
I wish I had an automatic reserve, and a light on the speedo that tells me that it went into effect, that would be so good instead of actually flipping it over to reserve.. ahhhhh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:45 pm 

I never got an owners manual to it. I guess I should invest in one. I only got about 110 mpgs because I was flipping the petcock from reserve to on back and forth not knowing there was a differnce. That had to mess with the milage. I havent been able to run it into reserve yet since I have learned the differnce. I run 91 octane in it. So I should not do that? I know when I went on an hour long trip I filled it up when I was at 92 miles because there were few gas stations between me and my destination, and It only held 1.5 gallons. I still had 1.2 gallons left, Including reserve. So I should be getting around 180 mpgs. Does that sound right :shrug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:13 pm 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
That would be just over 61 mpg.
You can figure mpg any time you fill up.
Miles traveled (92) divided by fuel added (1.5) equals mpg (61.3333).

Seems about right.

Using any octane higher than what the manufacturer recommends just means you pay more than you have to. Most folks don't realize that octane is a measurement of how resistant fuel is to autoignition under compression not how much energy is in it. The reason high performance engines need higher octane fuel is so the fuel won't ignite prematurely during the intake cycle because of increased compression and shorter timing (ignition) cycles.

Dan