It is currently Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Super Strange Noise Coming From Round Back
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:03 pm 
So I left the house driving up the street, I live on a slight hill. After my driveway about 250-300' I start to hear this noise, kind of like a scraping noise but not really metallic in any way. No worries, figured it'd go away after a minute. I popped the front of my helmet up to be certain that it went away. It didn't, it was louder and getting louder! What the heck, I thought am I dragging something? I hit the brakes and started to swing my head around to look behind me...
As I did, I saw my phone face down, sliding past me on the concrete street as if it were on ice. I mean this thing was cookin', it was like a Brett Hull slap shot, skipping and spinning up the street to the top and then started down the other side of the hill. You'd be amazed the lack of friction the face of a cell phone has when thrown just right as one would flick a skipping stone across water. It just rode on past me making that crunch grinding noise... So much for that dude.
The real comedy comes in when you hear that I had just replaced that phone at the sprint store, three times. The manager was helping me after my G2 started acting up. That replacement phone had a bad camera, the next one had a screen pulling up. I think he might've pooped a little when he saw me walking in his store.
So I''ve got a new G4, leather edition and a renewed respect for the caring of handheld electronic devices.

Post subject: Re: Super Strange Noise Coming From Round Back
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:07 am 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
I work in telecom currently, and among my tasks is handling cell phones for our employees. Naturally, a lot of broken phones come across my desk but usually it can be traced back to operator error (failing to use a case, inadvertently tossing one in a swimming pool, etc). On Saturday, the operator error was mine. Rolled out from under my truck to unchuck a grinding wheel from the drill. While squatting on the ground, I managed to let it slide out of the drill and drop less than six inches into my Galaxy S5. For all the major falls my phones have taken over the years and survived, this little drop was the death of it. The grinding wheel -shattered- the screen with one massive spiderweb crack in the center and a smaller one in the top corner.

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:08 pm 
Makes me feel somewhat better. It just seems my last few phones wouldn't a been replaced but for me smashing the screen in some fashion. Just before the latest replacement phone debacle, less than 4 mos ago I had the screen replaced at one of those quickie places for $120. I guess I need to face the facts and buy a lifeproof case for the new G4 before I kill it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:16 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
You could do what I did. I bought a life-proof phone. :lol:

Granted, it's not a smart phone, but it's water proof and insanely drop resistant.

You'd think, given that there are smart phone cases that can tolerate everything you need them to, at least one manufacturer would give up the "and they'll have to buy a new one three times a year!" model and make a phone to the same specs as the cases. I have no way of knowing for certain, but I feel like they'd pretty much own the smart phone market if they did.

Well, except for the iPhone fans. Those guys just can't give them up. I don't really understand it.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:26 pm 
Ya, my Mother is an Iphone junky. I can't even print what I call them. They have less functionality, by far lower specs on EVERYTHING, and 1 button. I guess form over function for some but honestly, my new G4 is more aesthetically pleasing than any Iphone.
Unfortunately, I actually need a smart phone. I use the web, the camera, file manager, the calculator and countless other apps on a daily basis now for school and work. But Duke I swear, if they could make a bulletproof smartphone, I'd pay the (well phooey my invoice says my G4 was $600) so I guess it'd have to cost $1000 or better huh?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:48 am 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
Ruggedized phones have been built. Generally they don't sell particularly well. Casio has offered various incarnations of the G'Zone Commando over the years, and some businesses purchase them for field employees. The phones tend to be overpriced and under spec'd though, so a lot of places just purchase a more mainstream phone and add in a decent case. Alternatively, Samsung tried waterproofing their previous generation Galaxy. It sounded great on paper, but wasn't enough to make the phone a great seller.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:07 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
I've got the Ravine; had it for several years now, and I can't say enough about it. I don't think I've ever seen the Commando, but I do believe I'm going to take a look.... :D

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."