It is currently Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Phoenix, AZ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:45 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
I don't normally put up this kind of stuff, but, this is quite truthful.

Friends' comment:

Only someone from the Phoenix area would understand and the really funny thing is that this is all so true! (I especially like #6)

1. 'Phoenix' actually consists of Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Chandler, Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, Glendale, Peoria, Tolleson, Avondale, Goodyear, Litchfield Park, Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Grand, Sun Lakes, Surprise, Laveen, Apache Junction, Gold Canyon, and half of the Mexican border.

2. The morning rush hour is from 4:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 9:00 PM. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

3. The minimum acceptable speed on most Arizona freeways is 85 mph. On Loop 101, your speed is expected to match the highway number.

4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. For example, cars/trucks with the loudest mufflers go first at a four-way stop; the trucks with the biggest tires go second. However, in the East Valley, SUV-driving, cell phone-talking moms ALWAYS have the right of way.

5. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It's an offense that can get you shot.

6. Likewise, NEVER use the term “The” 10 or 17 to describe I-10 or I-17. Only Californians use “The” to describe an Interstate. We hate illiterate Californians and they too will be shot

7. Road construction is permanent in Phoenix. Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment during the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting.

8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, dogs, barrels, cones, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, rabbits, vultures, javelinas, roadrunners, and the coyotes feeding on any of these items.

9. Maricopa Freeway, Papago Freeway and the 'I-10' are the same road. SR202 is the same road as The Red Mountain FWY. Dunlap and Olive are the same street too. Peoria and Shea are the same street. Also Glendale Ave. becomes Lincoln Drive. Jefferson becomes Washington, but they are not the same street. I-17 is also called The Black Canyon Freeway, as well as The Veterans Memorial Highway. The Superstition is also known as US 60. The 101, 202 and 303 remain a large mystery to most of us. It is not yet determined if there is a Red Mountain and a San Tan or just a Red/Tan Mountain. The SR51 has recently been renamed to Piestewa Freeway because Squaw Peak Parkway was too easy to pronounce. SR101 is also the Pima FWY except west of I-17, which is also The Black Canyon FWY, and The Veterans Memorial HWY. Lastly, Thunderbird Rd. becomes Cactus Rd. -- but, Cactus Rd. doesn't become Thunderbird Rd. because it dead ends at a mountain.

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, it has been 'accidentally activated.'

11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 70 in a 55-65 mph zone, you are considered a road hazard and will be 'flipped off' accordingly. If you return the flip, you'll be shot.

12. For summer driving, it is advisable to wear potholders on your hands.

13. Please note that there are many, MANY more issues to the phenomenon of driving in Phoenix, like the 4-cars-through-a-red-light rule -- but the above will at least get you acquainted with our unique life on the road.

14. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended.

Post subject: Re: Phoenix, AZ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
jsonder wrote:
9. Maricopa Freeway, Papago Freeway and the 'I-10' are the same road.

That ticked me off to a huge degree when I made my road trip to Florida and back. 93 ends and turns into a street with traffic lights, said street --- after about an hour of negotiating said traffic lights, becomes to I-10

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 pm 

Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Rebel
Rebel: 250
City: Phoenix
HAHAHA! this is true. however as of recently ive noticed that everyone must randomly on the weekend travel at ten or more under the speed limit on the highway....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:50 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 Victory Cross Roads
Rebel: Other
City: Glendale
I like # 8.... I really did have to go around a mattress that was laying in the road one day. I also had a couch come flying at me out of the back of a truck!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:05 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Long Beach
Purpleazfrog wrote:
I really did have to go around a mattress that was laying in the road one day!

Yeah but in California someone would be sleeping on it.....