It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: What does your nick-name stand for?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:32 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Apache Junction
This question was asked on another motorcycle forum I visit, you do not have to answer this if you do not want to, on the other forum there has been a very positive responce, several posts are quite funny, so I'll start this out

Powerroy - I got this when I was designing and building D.C. powerplants for the telephone companies -48VDC 50,000+AMPS, ya know LOTS of power :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: What does your nick-name stand for?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:36 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Uhm, Roy----

Do you really want to know this? I've got a whole lifetime invested in mine.......

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:11 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Apache Junction
Duke wrote:
Uhm, Roy----

Do you really want to know this? I've got a whole lifetime invested in mine.......

Sure how about the "readers digest" version :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:17 pm 
Forum Administrator

It'll take some time to find;

I think I saved it to disk the last time someone on another forum asked.....

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:24 pm 

State/Province: TN
City: H2o Town
Mine started out at a tractor board. Since I am an advid John Deere fan and I own 4 0f them, I thought the name "Smilingreen" would be appropriate for that board, and the name kinda stuck with other boards.......... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:06 am 

For me as a kid playing the Asteroids game in the local department store, I'd always (no reason why just liked it) sign off as ZED whenever I got a high score (very seldom). Eventually it caught on and some friends started calling me Zed. Then Pulp Fiction came out... sigh. Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead.

I'm also a bit of a trekkie and one of the minor characters that always made me laugh were the ferengis on deep space nine, specifically the chief dude (nagus or something or other)... named Zekk... so Zed became Zekk... signing in to forums or yahoo/hotmail accounts etc became difficult as I guess I'm not the first guy in the world who wanted Zekk as a nick... so I changed it to Zekkye (because Zekky, Zekkey, Zekkie, etc were also already taken by some other mook).

So... Wade = me... Zekkye = online me.

Man, that was really worth knowing wasn't it?

Cheers,
Wade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:15 am 

State/Province: IN
City: Northwest
I prefer the K.I.S.S. method. First name, year of birth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:09 pm 

State/Province: OH
City: Washington Ch
Scott58 wrote:
I prefer the K.I.S.S. method. First name, year of birth.

Ditto.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

http://www.freewebs.com/larry71/index.htm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:38 pm 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Fort Worth
Mine has to do with my job.

I have 4,000 flight hours as a Loadmaster in the Lockheed C-130 Hercules.

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:52 pm 

State/Province: NY
City: Mt Vernon
Mine's a shortened variation of my last name (Fotopoulos to Fliptopoulos to fliptop)--a nickname given to me when I was a security guard during grad school because I was apparently insane.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:22 pm 

State/Province: MI
City: Frankenmuth
well mine was a german name marty wenzel=martz in school we had nick-names and since there were other marty's it made it easer to seperate us out --so there you go cliff note style

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:30 pm 

"gear jammer" is originally a trucker's term.

On the chop, I prefer to shift thru the gears, from slightly brisk to BTTW & then settle into a nice even cruising speed. Like the feel of the shifter engaging & hearing the pipes change note thru the range.

This is another reason that the relative "sprint" ability of the Rebel appeals to me. Was having lunch at a little shop, some riders pulled in (couple larger Jap bikes, couple H-D's) Watched them thru the window as they checked out the modified Reb, could see the smiles & could imagine them saying "Oh, how 'cute'" or "Pretty neat for a little Rebel" or whatever. Upon leaving, gave them a courtesy "How's it goin' ? Good day for a ride" & then got on the Reb, fired her up as they pleasantly watched, slowly approached the road & then pulled out on the straightaway & sorry, but JUST HAD to run her thru the gears. The Rebel did herself proud, sprinted in good stride & didn't miss a gear! Was thinking to myself "YES! Good girl"...hehehe....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:48 am 

..... seems like I recently clarified this someplace else on this forum but, regardless, back in 65' I bought a new Corvette Stingray. The 4 or 5 other guys I ran around with also had Stingrays & one an XKE Jag. Being bachelars & all having fairly good jobs we were sorta known as the rat pack of Springfield; we were in the fastlane for sure! A song came out about then by Archie Campbell of Grand Ol' Oprey fame entitled: ROJO. The very first time it played on the juke box my buddies picked up on it and all simultaneously pointed to me. Unfortunately, this was at the city's most popular pub ..... that was it, everybody in the place started calling me Rojo & giggling. When I go back to my hometown 40 years later many folks still call me that. In fact, I doubt if some even know my real name.

....... you will have to listen to the song to understand 'the sentence' that they picked up on but here is a hint ........ "Rojo, the [blankity blankity] in town!" 8) Rojo was a nasty red rooster.

Rojo

PS: I can't help but wonder if Uneasy Rider got his handle because of hemorhoids on an ironbutt run? :P :P :P ....... let's hear about it U-rider!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:40 am 

Rebel: 450
State/Province: AL
City: Magnolia Springs
rojo wrote:

PS: I can't help but wonder if Uneasy Rider got his handle because of hemorhoids on an ironbutt run? :P :P :P ....... let's hear about it U-rider!

BUSTED--cussed rojo you sure can be a blabber mouth,now everyone knows.

Howard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:14 am 

State/Province: IN
City: Greenwood
Wow! Everyone else's is so much more interesting. Mine is Megan, because that's my name....How unoriginal, eh? LOL!

I used to use some names I liked and I still end up making some up if "megan" is unavailable on forums, but basically I'm uncreative. If I couldn't get "megan" here, I probably would have just used "rebel450gal" or something like that.

I've never had a nick name in my life, although I dated a guy once who said he would have nick named me "Daisy" which freaked me out. All I could think of was "Dukes of Hazard" and I am most certainly not like that Daisy at all (darn). I can't even think of a cool nick name for my bike....hmmmm...maybe "My Solitude"?

BTW: I LOVE the nick "Uneasy Rider"! :)

~M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:21 am 

State/Province: CT
City: Middletown
Joe Kewl was a a coined at work when the guys first heard I was getting a bike... "Hey Joe, that's cool".... hence Joe Kewl, biker.

Respectfully,

Joe

'05 VLX Dlx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 am 

State/Province: MD
City: Eastern Shore
My grandfather was "Big George". He lived with us when I was a kid so I was always "Little George". Many Moons ago my metabolism changed and I stopped being "Little". Now I just use George :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:05 pm 
Forum Administrator

Okay,

I found a hyper-condensed explanation:

Bushido, as everyone today now knows (years ago, folks weren't as "up" on foriegn culural history) represents a particular code of moralitly and honor.

It is extremely strict, and it's followers are held to their beliefs at all times, and in all situations. To live without honor and dignity is worse than dying.

I got saddled with it more years ago than I can now recall. Mostly I suppose because of the adherence I put into the beliefs ingrained in me throughout my life.

It never really stuck beyond a few friends and my brothers right up until the day we pulled into our favorite watering hole right after doing a drive-in showing of the movie Highlander (Long story). As the night wore on, toruble simmered up (which was why this was our favorite watering hole, at the time! :wink: ),

One of my brothers (who, for reasons that I really shouldn't go into here) is known throught the family as Thumper. He and another fella were squaring off for a bit of rough-housing when the other fella asked him "And who do you think you are?"

My brother responded, in his best impersonation of the character from the movie we had just seen, with "I am Thumper of Skulls, of the House Bushido. Who are you?"

It was a hoot with the patrons (who had seen the movie, anyway), and as the eldest brother, I was from that point on Duke Bushido.......

Know you know.

Yep. Seems that this is a whole lot shorter if I don't bother trying to explain the 'Duke' part of it. Suffice it to say that even when I am _not_ Duke Bushido, I have always been Duke Oliver.....

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:17 pm 

State/Province: SC
City: Greenwood
I got Lady Di, by being the only female in the crating department at work.
Our lumber came in 16ft lengths, and the guys never thought that a woman would last beyond a day or two. By the end of the month, I was handling 2 2X6's, 16' at a time. This earned the respect and the title of Lady Di. Unfortunatly, when I changed jobs, someone from my old job knew someone at the new job, so the name stuck.
Diane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:04 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Folsom
Tis really fun to read all these. Duke, that is truly a riot...funny how families do that to one another. My sister loved the Yogi Bear show so now as a grown woman she sports the name Yogi...to her close friends and family. Her Brit husband was mortified when he first her my son call her Aunt Yogi!!! He needs to loosen up!
Mine is a play on the term dementia, which has been classically taken when i go to sign up so i decided to take a play on the word. Since i am a she...i used DemenSHEa. Now, somehow it go connected to demons...which it was neither associated with or intended. I am no demon...just a demenshea, a bit twisted but hardly evil. :twisted: :twisted: LOL
cheers,
d

ISRA#20634
Donna's Truisms
Laughing at yourself will always serve to amuse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next