All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: hunh?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:37 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Did everyone run away and start a new board somewhere else?

I mean; it's fine if you did. I'd be the last person to step on your rights to do (more or less, within reason) as you please. But let me know if you did so that I can stop worrying about accidentally swearing. :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject: Re: hunh?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:53 pm 

Hey, I'm here. Just working a lot and don't have much interesting to say right now. I DID, however, have a pic I took of an odd custom car that was parked near my home a few days ago. Somebody took two or more Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) and cobbled them into an electric stretch limo, 3 doors per side. I tried to post it here, zero luck. No doubt posting photos here isn't THAT hard, unless, of course, you're ME, in which case my lack of even the most basic, knuckle-walker computer skills renders it impossible!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Most of the action seems to be on the other commercial board. I was active over there for a year or 2 but became increasingly annoyed with the intrusiveness of the ads and the general slowness of the site which I assume had to do with all the adware that it hosts. I haven't posted there since August of last year, but still lurk a bit as a guest.
other than that, it does have a more comprehensive index of forums and a slicker more conventional "look" with the white background. (I've never been a fan of the color scheme on this board as most of you know).
They have lost a number of their more knowledgable contributers since it went full blown commercial a couple of years ago, but still seems to attract more new members.

I like the people here so i'll be staying as long as there's any need.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
City: Fredericton

Just had to try posting a pic to see if it still works.. This is me and the GS on the Southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway last June.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:22 pm 

Motorcycle: 1999 Rebel CMX
State/Province: FL
City: Summerfield
I'm here till the End. A most enjoyable, knowledgeable and down right thinking group of members to interact with. Who could ask for anything more. A saying from a TV series, can't think of the series title, at the moment, "What you talking about Willis".

1999 Honda Rebel VQR234se
. . . . . 43,000+ Miles . . . . . .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:28 pm 
Forum Administrator

Diff'rent Strokes was the show you're thinking of.

And well-timed, too. Had a road trip with the family yesterday; got back _way_ later than we planned (found an amazing place to eat, though!). At any rate, completely out of the blue, in conversation on the ride home: "whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis?!"

Funny how things like that happen. :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:31 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
Duke you know that I'll always be here for you to kick around.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
Wait! There's ANOTHER board??? rofl
Seriously, never joined. Poked around there a couple times, but it seems like deja moo.
I expect we'll someday have a 'mods outnumber the members' situation here, but I think that's mostly because the environment that you (duke) strive to create here will no longer satisfy the internetizens coming along. In any case, one can only hope that somehow the FAQ, Thoroughly Dead Horses and of course the Dudeman thread continue to be available for the edification of the truly curious.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:15 am 
Forum Moderator

For an update to the dudeman thread, all one needs to do these days is to join a facebook group.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:06 am 
Forum Moderator

rofl rofl
Yep, you called it, Richard. Not personally on facebook, but my wife uses it to keep in touch with friends and family around the world. She lets me peruse it from time to time. I have never seen anything quite so narcissistic and self-serving. What's truly sad is that, in many cases, you actually KNOW these people in real life, and realize that their carefully crafted on-line 'reality' has no real connection to their day-t0-day existence. Oh, lordy, and the OVERSHARING! Between the endless petphotos (often in clothing) and the constant updates on the daily minutiae of their lives (meal choices, what my kids wore on the first day of school and, in one particularly disturbing case, the frequency and texture of bowel movements :shock: ), I am constantly amazed.
I can only IMAGINE what facebook GROUPS would be like....
brent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:21 am 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
The nice thing is you can bypass all that and use Facebook for what it's good for as well. I coordinate with local runners on a trail running page, keep up with guys from my old Marine Corps unit, etc. All that can be done without wasting hours scrolling through the news feed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:22 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
I've sworn off of Facebook, at least until the elections in the US are history.

But I do stop by here at least a couple times per week; it qualifies as a sanity break. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

fastpakr wrote:
The nice thing is you can bypass all that and use Facebook for what it's good for as well. I coordinate with local runners on a trail running page, keep up with guys from my old Marine Corps unit, etc. All that can be done without wasting hours scrolling through the news feed.

Fair enough, you found a couple of sanctuaries in facebook away from the lowest common denominator.

Now, as an avid motorcyclist, go join a facebook motorcycle group. I dare you. Better yet, a motorcycle customizing group. I triple dog dare you. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:34 pm 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
Your point is that idiots have found a place to congregate? Great, now don't go there. Problem solved. Use it for what it's good for, stay away from the places you don't like.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

The point is you have to weed through the idiots to find a place you like. And with facebook, there is plenty of weeding before finding that one place. I have yet to find that one sane facebook motorcycle group. It's not a matter of avoiding the places you don't like --- the simple fact is you have to join first, expose yourself to the content once joined (because rarely are those groups public so you don't see the content until after you join), and then bash your head into a wall. It makes me feel like I could have saved myself the time and just scrolled through the common feeds instead.

I did, however, stumble upon a new group. I posted the first thing I saw in the CraigsList SNAFU thread (suffice it to say I unjoined and am about to ingest some brain bleach).

FWIW in the early days of the aforementioned other board, it was like a facebook group with no shortage of stupidity. Fortunately facebook took off afterwards and they found a new home.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Richard: You invoked the triple dog dare, completely bypassing the double dog dare. That's quite an etiquette breach! But, rules are rules. There's no backing down from the TDD.

John: I feel your pain. The current US election shenanigans have loomed larger than explicable in Canadian social media as well. And its not fair, because we just went through that pain last year.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

wheezeburnt wrote:
Richard: You invoked the triple dog dare, completely bypassing the double dog dare. That's quite an etiquette breach! But, rules are rules. There's no backing down from the TDD.

If you've ventured into any of the facebook motorcycle customizing groups, you'll understand the need to bypass the double dog dare. For a visual, here's the aforementioned SNAFU post I made having just joined/retreated from such a group:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28733&p=315914#p315914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:52 pm 
Forum Administrator

Shadow Shack wrote:
For an update to the dudeman thread, all one needs to do these days is to join a facebook group.

:rofl: :rofl:

wheezeburnt wrote:
my wife uses it to keep in touch with friends and family around the world.

My wife tried that, too. :lol: After years and years and years of waiting for me to get one (not gonna happen; I've seen too much of Facebook just researching job applicants over the years. My favorites are the ones whose profile pictures show them doing keg stands are indulging in recreational pharmaceuticals or-- and honest-to-God; this has happened _more than once!-- "Just checking in. Just handed off an application to for some BS job at some craphole building supply. I hope they call me; my rent money is almost gone...."

Or words to that effect.

Morons. :shock:

Getting back:

K tried to use it to keep in touch with her job (they posted job-related stuff like schedule changes, etc, on a Facebook page of all places! At any rate, her sister found out and "oh, you have to make me your friend!" I advised against it so hard... so very, very hard....

Today, she wishes she'd listen. My wife is a wonderful human being. Her sister, however, is a megaphone, screaming into the night whatever opinions or attitudes her husband-du-jour holds dear, even if they are the exact opposite of the one before that....

So today, K's Facebook page gets _hundreds_ of posts from over a hundred people (her best estimate is "a little over a hundred." Five or six of these people she knows. The rest she's never heard of. Apparently (and I really don't know much about the workings of Facebook) stuff drips onto your page from the pages of your friends? And their friends? And their friends, too? That sound about right.

Sadly, of all the people posting on her Facebook, only her two nieces aren't complete lunatics. :(

In the words of my wife: "I have never, ever, not once in my life, ever been so delighted to have used a fake name."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quote:
I have never seen anything quite so narcissistic and self-serving.

Agreed.

Quote:
What's truly sad is that, in many cases, you actually KNOW these people in real life, and realize that their carefully crafted on-line 'reality' has no real connection to their day-t0-day existence.

doubly agreed. Trebly. Perhaps even ... what's five? Quintenarily? Any way, Yes, Brother! Preach it!

Quote:
Oh, lordy, and the OVERSHARING! Between the endless petphotos (often in clothing) and the constant updates on the daily minutiae of their lives (meal choices, what my kids wore on the first day of school and, in one particularly disturbing case, the frequency and texture of bowel movements :shock: ), I am constantly amazed.

it's truly astounding. Richard, I have never had a clue as to your age, but some of us old farts here remember the days when people kept a diary / journal. They'd find a few minutes to sequester themselves with their thoughts or intellectual machinations of probe into their own secrets and musings. What I remember most of all was the extents to which they would go for retribution against anyone who would deign even _considering the possibility_ of reading it.

Now, all these years later, they do the exact same thing in public, on Facebook, and get mad as hornets if you _DON'T_ read it! :waiting1: I swear, the entire first world has gone as crazy as a sprayed roach.....

Quote:
I can only IMAGINE what facebook GROUPS would be like....

If it gives you any idea, I think a more suitable name would be to call them Facebook "clusters." ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:30 am 
Forum Moderator

Duke wrote:
it's truly astounding. Richard, I have never had a clue as to your age, but some of us old farts here remember the days when people kept a diary / journal.

Mid-forties, but you're quoting Brent there.

And I am familiar with diaries & journals, in high school & college I kept the latter. Granted it wasn't anything that public exposure would have bothered me.