All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Happy Thanksgiving to you 'murkins
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:44 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Its very quiet here! I assume y'all were feasting and giving thanks for all you have yesterday, and are out getting more stuff today!
Hope all went well, and you had time to enjoy and appreciate what is important to you.
brent

Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving to you 'murkins
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:52 am 

State/Province: WA
City: Central
Thanks!

I was not one of the lucky ones that had the day off, but that's OK. Riding season is over for us here in the frozen PNW. Only a bit of snow on the ground, but the OAT at 0600 this morning was -10C. Been there done that, I like being a warm car with a fresh cup of coffee in my hand. Only working a 10 hour shift today, and I don't partake in the Friday stupidity. There is nothing on this planet that I need that would convince me to act like a moron. :-)

Thankfully, it was a pretty slow day at the salt mines. Only one DUI, couple warrant arrests, couple of domestics, and the usual compliment of aid calls.

Counting down to vacation time. 29 days until we board that 777 and head to the other side of the planet. So looking forward to 5 weeks of sunshine and warm temps.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
City: Fredericton
Greetings from South Africa. It was snowing when we left the frozen north on Monday, but the last few days here on the Southern tip of Africa have been phenomenal for weather and scenery. Looking forward to gearing up for the Christmas Bacchanalia when we get back.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:02 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Thanks, Brent.

Though no; haven't feasted yet. the 27th was the boy's birthday, though, and one of my rare days off. We had a good bit of fun.

The Thanksgiving / Black Friday combo kind of bugs me, though. I mean, we spend an entire _day_ doing nothing (ideally) except being thankful for everything we have. Then, at the stroke of midnight, it's not good enough, and we rush out to bludgeon and trample each other in an insane quest to get good deals on more.

It's embarrassing. I usually fake an accent from Thanksgiving until mid-December, just in case I should encounter tourists. Don't want them to think I actually live here. :oops:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:01 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
I hope its not a Canadian accent, because of late, our buyers and sellers have been doing their best to emulate the US Black Friday example, even though our thanksgiving was about 6 weeks ago. Granted, its a profoundly POLITE event, with lots of 'excuse me' and 'sorry' and 'Oh, no, I'm sure you saw that first'. But they still line up early to buy stuff they didn't previously know they needed.
Anyway, focusing on the Thanksgiving aspect, I'm sure we've all been handed a few turd sandwiches over the year, but in the end, we live in relatively free countries. And if we're typing on computers and talking about our motorcycles, we very likely have a roof over our heads, food in the fridge and clothes on our back. In most cases, our grandparents would look on in wonder at what we have, and 95% of the world's population think we live like kings.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
I missed it, too doped up on meds to realize I missed my favorite holiday. I ate well on Friday though. ;)

http://shadow-shack.20m.com