All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dang, Duke. I gotta move further north
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
I've always taken a certain amount of pride and pleasure in the fact that I live in a place where firearms are viewed as tools, where a man walking down a country road with an uncased rifle or shotgun over his shoulder can still hitch a ride back to his truck.
Well, this morning, four schools in the city I live outside of were locked down because someone reported a young man in the general vicinity IN DARK CLOTHING (sure sign of a psychopath or priest) carrying a rifle in a 'gun sock', whatever that is. Guess what? Its hunting season here, and people are carrying guns to and from the woods. I have had a scattergun in the back of my truck since Oct 1, and it likely will be there til the end of February. And it is legal to carry a firearm along the street, as long as it is unloaded and in a case (which I assume a 'gun sock' would cover). its how you get your new rifle/gun home from the city's major firearm store that is coincidentally located in that exact area.
So, the schools were closed, we were treated to breathless coverage by the media, and of course, parents going to the schools and waiting outside for reports. A couple of grainy photos showing very poorly, a man with a rucksack and something long in his hand with a sling of sorts. They could not find the 'gunman' anywhere, even after a room by room search of the local high school.

I expected that some young fellow had walked over to his buddy's house, and they had headed out of town for a bit of partridge hunting. I expected him to trundle back into town at dark, only to find he'd been the subject of a total mobilization of the local police force as a result of breaking no laws.

Oh, but it gets better. Before noon, they found the 'person of interest' at a local store where he works, where the store had put their own staff on alert, clearly oblivious that he was the subject of a major manhunt and the city's largest school lockdown. As a young man with autism, he was particularly dismayed that he might be the cause of this kerfuffle when he recognized himself in the grainy photos. But at least they were able to find the weapon: an UMBRELLA!
Ah, but all was not lost: the umbrella was one of those clever ones that has a handle like a samurai sword, and that has the business end of the umbrella in a sheath or scabbard with a carrying sling. So, when the police showed the picture of the 'weapon', they pointed out that it COULD have been mistaken for a weapon. Yep, it could have been mistaken for a weapon, but NOT a firearm. Of course, the fear-driven loon who precipitated this lunacy will not be identified, interviewed, or in any way held accountable. I'm sure he/she is sitting at home smugly telling him/herself: well, better safe than sorry.
Duke, I thought of your cane scabbard: I never thought about it before, but it really DOES look like an assault rifle! rofl rofl
When umbrellas are outlawed, only outlaws will have umbrellas. :D
Note: this tirade should not be taken as a position for or against your, my or anyone else's gun laws. Nor should it be taken as an opening volley in, or invitation to, a 'gun law'-related discussion.
brent

Post subject: Re: Dang, Duke. I gotta move further north
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
City: Fredericton
I heard about it on the radio this morning. It just goes to show how paranoid our society has become as a result of terrorism, foreign and domestic. The lad is lucky the police here were restrained enough to avoid a SWAT type assault on the pool hall before determining the presence of an actual weapon much less any intent to use one. Apparently extra police were assigned to each school in the area to fend off any would-be mass shooters.
It's a sad commentary on the state of affairs in general, but at least once a crisis had been created it ended with a fizzle rather than the usual carnage and grief. We can take comfort in that at least.

The lesson is not to carry around something that looks like a weapon unless it really is a weapon.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:47 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
You could move further south.

A _lot_ further south. ;)

Bestfully, you could take advantage of a year-long riding season! :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:46 pm 
Forum Administrator

In a similar vein--

that is, telling events that are their own social commentary:

Went and turned on the television for a bit (an unusual thing, but it's a slow night). I caught a bit of a news program. I say a bit, because I was disgusted with the "news."

Across the very bottom of the screen, in a little crawler, was a story about 2 teens who were beaten by their family-- one fatally so! for some unmentioned reason. That's it. That was the whole "story." (I turned the TV off to look it up online. Horrifying.)

And what was going on while this crawler was presenting none of this story?

A full twelve minutes of of "guy found unconscious in house of ill repute says "Hi!" to some reality TV nitwit.

Seriously. A full twelve minutes. _That_, it seems, was _news_!

Two fine young men (according to neighbors) beaten to death and nearly to death because they wanted to leave a private church? By their own FAMILY?!

Nope. Nothing there worth mentioning.

What is _wrong_ with people?

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Pogo had it right.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:21 pm 
Forum Administrator

"We has seen the enemy, and he is us!"

Yep.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:43 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
Well, lets just hope our broadcast news signal is not making its way across space to other, more intelligent life forms. They'd come here and clean us out for our own good.

On the brighter side, our local incident has generated some local fun. Someone is already merchandizing t-shirts that say "I survived the 2015 Umbrella Crisis".
And last night we had a few friends over for dinner including a teacher who was involved in the lockdown. (My wife worked at that school for most of her career and still has a lot of friends there.) So, in her honour, I moved my varmint rifle from the back door to the front door umbrella stand for her benefit.
Pogo did indeed have it right. Hard to believe that particular cartoon is 44 years old, and probably more relevant today.