All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The clung
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:02 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Yep. A clung. Not a clunk, but a clung. More specifically, a "clung clung clung-clung" every now and again.

Back up a bit:

Owing to a recent glut of small (but appreciated) side jobs in the evening, and of course playing school bus in the morning, I have been driving the Leviathan for the last there weeks. And for the last three weeks, when I hit a bump-- and in particular, a 'side-to-side bump where one side hits first, then the other, leaving the truck to wobble left and right a bit-- there has been a "clung clung clung-clung" from under the rear. Almost unnoticeable when the air conditioner is off; nonexistent when it is on. But when the windows are down, well it's downright cacophonous.

So tonight was the first night that I've been home at anything I can even pretend is a reasonable hour, and I immediately slide under the truck. For those of you who aren't yet parents, this is like a kid magnet. Right away, there were choruses of "whatcha doin can I help can I help can I help whatcha doin do ya want some help?!!!" from the corners of the yard as Noisy and Hammerhead came streaking in on intercept courses.

"Well," I started, "I am trying to find out what's going on under the truck. I don't know if I'm missing a sway bar bushing or have a broken fuel tank strap or just what's going on here, but I've got to figure out what it is before it becomes a dangerous failure."

"What do you mean? What is the problem?" Noisy asked, her eyes big and brown and begging to play with Daddy's tools.
"Yeah, Dad." Followed Hammerhead, anxious to pocket some of Dad's tools and sell them back to him later. "What is wrong with the truck?"

"I don't know yet; I have been hearing a noise the past three weeks and I have to find out what it is."

"What kind of noise?" Noisy perked, anxious to start putting wrenches on things.

"Well, I don't really know. The best thing I can tell you is that I _swear_ to you that it sounds like a cussed cowbell!"

"OooooOOOooh!" said Noisy, her most serious face on. "Yeah." She looked up at me briefly from her squat near the rear tire. "That's probably the cowbell."

I really had no idea where to go from here, so I waited, hoping she was going to follow that thought up with some exposition or something. No such luck.

Finally, Hammerhead spoke. "Yeah. Me and Noisy found a cowbell in the garage a while back." Still no real explanation.

"And...?" I prompted, hoping this was going somewhere or would at least let me get to work.

Apparently it was Noisy's turn again. "And we put it under the truck!"

:(

"Okay..... Why?"

"Because it's _cool_, Dad!" She said emphatically.

On the plus side, my diagnosis was spot on. How often can I say _that_?! :D

On the down side, they were far too upset that it wasn't cool enough to leave, so I now have the coolest truck in town.

Clung clung clung-clung....

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject: Re: The clung
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:04 pm 

Motorcycle: 1999 Rebel CMX
State/Province: FL
City: Summerfield
OUTSTANDING, Duke.

1999 Honda Rebel VQR234se
. . . . . 43,000+ Miles . . . . . .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:19 pm 

State/Province: OH
City: Creston
LOL, no gremlins looking for your truck. However, they found mine. I had new shocks put on and it started making a clunk noise at every bump last time out. Turns out the bolt that holds the lower end of the front right shock fell out. Sure wish it would have been like your though, LOL...

'07 Rebel 250
'00 Rebel 250
'86 Rebel 450

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:22 pm 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
Have your kids been watching SNL reruns lately?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:47 pm 
Forum Administrator

Dude, _I_ don't even watch them. :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:33 pm 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
I don't either in general. We don't get any TV channels at the house. Just referring to the ancient sketch with Christopher Walken about Don't Fear the Reaper.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:21 pm 
Forum Administrator

Just being straight with you:

I have enough issues with insomnia that if I'm not asleep by nine-ish, then I'm not going to do _anything_ that might capture my attention and keep me awake. ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:54 am 

Duke, that is PRICELESS! Thanks for posting!
Just curious, where on the underside of your truck did they install the cowbell?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:54 pm 
Forum Administrator

There are a few bed support rails that run across the width of the bed. Just forward of the spare, before the fuel tank, they got their little arms up in there and passed a nylon tie wrap around a support rail. Just enough room for the bell to swing about when it's pitched hard enough.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:55 am 

I wish my grandkids (boy-9, girl-5) were more interested in real life things like that. Essentially, a thing has to be on a video display of some sort, or they aren't into it. Didn't used to be that way, but that is how they are evolving, despite my gentle efforts to show them that there is life OTHER than on a viewscreen.
Thanks Again!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:22 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
That kind of reminds me of when the two oldest boys were fixing a surprise for me:

That was a few years ago (>35).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:36 am 

Jsonder- So what was the surprise they prepared for you?!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:50 am 

They were planning on having the package of Oreo cookies for an early lunch. They did not succeed. ;-)

I had them "helping" me by holding a rod while I did some leveling with a transit around Three Forks, Montana. I had a remarkable amount of leeway with taking the kids along for some work things. When camping was involved, I usually took a half days vacation because we were far less efficient than when I worked solo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:07 pm 
Forum Administrator

Frankenpickle wrote:
I wish my grandkids (boy-9, girl-5) were more interested in real life things like that. Essentially, a thing has to be on a video display of some sort, or they aren't into it.

I know what you mean. Not my kids (yet; Noisy has a tendency to be pulled to the TV lately), but those of one of the higher-ups at the company. Thirteen, perhaps, and maybe sixteen.

He did a rare "office guy" thing and showed up at our branch on a Saturday to pitch in with an inventory. He had his kids in tow. When I asked why he trapped them to root around through a warehouse on a Saturday, he announced that they wanted to spend the day with him and that he thought it would be a fun family thing to do.

One had an iPhone; one had an iPad. From seven that morning until we broke for lunch, they never took their gaze away from it. Never. Not even once. I don't think I heard as much as a grunt from them. They spend the entire morning sitting like fungus on a stump staring at those screens. When we broke for a quick bite, they each plugged in their gadgets and whipped out spares from a bag they had with them. Even their father pulled into his briefcase and pulled out an iPad and stared at it for the thirty minutes or so that we ate. I don't think he looked up from it save for locating his drink.

When lunch was over, the kids were still staring at the screens.

He and the kids broke out about four or so that afternoon. He said "well, Kids, I guess we need to go home now. Did we have a good time?"

That was the first word I head him say to them. They both nod/shook some noncommittal head gesture and wandered out the door, still glued to their screens.

Nine hours. They never looked away from their screens. Nine hours. The didn't move; they didn't make a sound. Honestly, I'd have been less uncomfortable if they'd have at least drooled on themselves or something.

The funny thing in all this is the current pop culture obsession with "zombie apocalypse."

It's already here, folks.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:07 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
"Come on outside; the graphics are AMAZING."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:57 pm 

wheezeburnt wrote:
"Come on outside; the graphics are AMAZING."

This is the nerd on the bottom in the previous picture a couple of years later. He spotted the antelope.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Great photo, John.
(Who's the good-looking stand-in on the left?)
brent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:54 pm 
Forum Administrator

And most importantly, is that a Toyota 22R pickup serving as the perfect backdrop?!

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:11 pm 

Toyota diesel pickup, 2WD; I am hopeless about numbers.

Now, how did your daughter break her foot?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:09 pm 
Forum Administrator

Ah. The Diesel was the Hilux. The 22R was the gas burner. Either one is even to this day legendary for their durability. Recall the Top Gear episodes dedicated to trying to kill a Hilux? :lol:

While they didn't go into it, the 22R was every bit as much a survivor and a workhorse.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian