All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Crimes Against Motorcycles
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20150731/crimes-against-motorcycles/?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=Display&utm_content=Native-NF&utm_campaign=CA-DSP-DM-EN-CONTENT#cfhcXZYuHJwxsAB6.97

Food for thought.... I couldn't find much to disagree with. especially the pod filters with airbox removed. It's painfully obvious that there's some stuff missing in that open space.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject: Re: Crimes Against Motorcycles
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:46 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Have always agreed with 1 and 2. In fact, just a few years ago when the fat tire thing was making the rounds, we had many lengthy threads about what a ridiculously bad idea it was for a commuter bike.

And I disagree with them for the same reasons given. Don't get me wrong: I've had a dozen or so bikes with extended swing arms _and_ fat tires (fatter than the one pictured, and a few actually so flat as to have square corners. Of course, all of those bikes were from my drag racing days, and they offered things I needed for drag racing: a long swing arm helped keep the nose down (especially with some wheelie bars helping out), and the wide tire let me get more grab on the slab. And there was the safety of both of those items, at least for my application:

They helped the bike to go really, really straight! They did this by making it much harder to go in any direction _other_ than straight. I halfway understand why some people are doing the long swing arms now on bigger sport bikes, at least the ones that aren't too terribly radical: The fear of accidentally lifting the front end. Though honestly, a bit more practice and a bit more discretion with the twister will keep the front end planted.

The wide tire thing I _never_ got for a street bike:

MY bike is really, really fast! You know what would make it even faster? Tripling the rolling resistance and increasing the weight! Yeah; that should do it! And hey -- if we go wide enough, we can incorporate a jackshaft, too! Nothing says power like back-yard engineered additional complexity, right? ;)

I've never made a secret that I'm not a fan of pods, but honestly, if you want to cut your performance, that's your business. The stuff that actually detracts from handling, though-- that's just scary.
And I don't have a problem with lights (depending on the color-- some are illegal, and which ones vary from state to state), so long as none of them overpower your existing signals and none of them point directly at someone. Frankly, I'm a big supporter of properly (i.e., safely and sensibly) done additional visibility.

I don't have an issue (other than aesthetic) with the tail box, either, save that the tail on a sport bike is already a pretty high swing. Adding another foot or so to it is likely going to be uncomfortable to mount and dismount, but if you've got a method, go for it.

I think the knock against sidecars is a bit off from the topic of the article, though: it comes across more as a personal beef. I'm not a big fan (I have run one before: a home made flat one just a hair over four ft wide and a hair over six feet long. I used to haul small amounts of building materials around many years ago. Designed it so I could safely lash a few sheets of plywood to it the need arose), for the same reason I'm not a fan of trikes: it's not a motorcycle anymore.

Though I guess the case could be made about the increased roll-over potential in a curve. I won't rule that out. After all, that's my number one knock against trikes: the increased danger.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."