It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Craigslist SNAFU
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
This is fun, something I'm borrowing from another forum. Cruise your local Craigslist ads and find the doozie that stands out above the rest. You know the one, the ad that for all intensive purposes could have been penned by a dudeman. Or drug addict. Or ultimate dimwit. Or someone with delusions of grandeur. Or any combination thereof.

P.S. copy/cut/paste the ad as CL tends to cull them quickly, otherwise you could feasibly post a link to nothing. ;)

For starters, let's dissect this one from my hometown (Las Vegas)...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/3148484702.html

Quote:
1982 honda rebel 250cc <funny, the Rebel didn't debut until 1985> motorcycle "bobber" style. bought the bike a few months back and really havent had time to ride. <Awww, gee...is it too hot for you out here? Didn't you notice that while you were out in the garage working on this thing?> the ignition recently went out <it doesn't start/run> but other than that its a solid bike <yes, the lacking rear suspension is rather obvious on the solid part>. the frame is custom from the tank back. gas tank dropped lower to frame, straight street bars, rear plate mount with led light strip. bike is bare, meaning no speedo, gauges or blinkers. <meaning the bike is incomplete> both rims were re wired to 19" with new tires <I spent $600+ per wheel to relace the rims plus the cost of new tires but I can't fix the ignition...sorry but a dudeman's got to have priorities>, carb recently cleaned and new plugs. <not that this will help the ignition issue one bit> asking $2200 obo <3X what a 82 TwinStar or CM250 retails for, and what ever the hell I have doesn't start or run> best way to reach me is text or call 7028583067 clean and clear title still has matching vin # on bike. <It still has a matching number? What, you haven't taken that off yet?>

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Post subject: Re: Craigslist SNAFU
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Wait! You can post things on Craigslist WITHOUT spelling errors? Dang! When did the rules change?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

The SNAFU isn't going after the spelling errors, rather the epic failures on behalf of the seller.

For example, the clown above (blue text is mine BTW ;) ) who is offering the non-existent 1982 Rebel that, despite having an ignition problem, has had recent carb work and spark plugs changed. I mean the bike doesn't fire up but "I cleaned and adjusted the carburetor...not that I'll ever know if the adjustments are spot on since it won't fire up."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

See, here's another example...albeit not quite as good as the first one.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/3216588830.html

Quote:
CUSTOM/HONDA SHADOW 1995/650CC - $4200 (GREENVALLEY/PECO)

FOR SALE MY CUSTOM CRUSIE MOTORCYLES. IT IS VERY GOOD CONDITON. TITLE IN HAND. PLEASE CALL OR TEXT TB AT 702-824-0480 I AM ASKIING PRICE $ 4500 OR BEST OFFER.

"I've had this bike for a while now but I can't read the owners manual let alone the VIN plate on the steering head or my title & registration, so I'm going to guess it's a 650."

"It's bone stock but I'll call it custom."

"Look at that tear in the seat, that's CUSTOM!"

"Sorry, my best pic of the bike is the one with a bed sheet over it. I just didn't have time to point and shoot my camera phone at it and get a decent shot for my ad. You know how long it takes to develop pictures these days."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I get it. I just couldn't believe there was an ad on Craigslist by an obvious goof, and yet the spelling was good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Oh, that. Went right over my head LOL

Yeah, but he could use some work in capitalizing, so the rules haven't been challenged much. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Now here's a fine piece of engineering. Half of an ATV with rugged offroad suspension up front and...

...wait for it...

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/3229310686.html

...a RIGID rear end!!!

Quote:
110cc spyder runs good.smokes a little when first started.has working headlight and taillight. Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ah... Lovely. Its only a matter of time: " Dudes: I just bought a brand new Honda Big Red, and I wanna turn it into a really cool bobber. Is there anywhere on the net that sells bolt-on parts for this?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:02 pm 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: TX
City: Dallas
The rigid rear end is a safety feature. It keeps you from rolling over forward on a bump.

Loud ties save lives

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ah, that's right...I'd forgotten how easily those three wheelers tipped over. Good call, dude!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

Here's another local marvel:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/3247723311.html

Quote:
Custom Honda VLX Shadow 600 - $5000 (Las Vegas)

Selling my custom 600cc Shadow. I'm asking $5000 for obo. Serious inquiries only. Call or text Sol at: (702) 445-1359

(commentary that follows is mine ;) )

"I'm selling my custom dismantled bike for what I paid when it was new six+ years ago. Sure, you could find the same bike complete with everything I hacked off for less, but then it wouldn't be CUSTOM, would it dude? Check out my professionally removed fenders and side covers. Scope the professionally sawzalled stock headpipes and the automotive grade air cleaner from Pep Boys. I even relocated the stock rear blinkers to the passenger footpeg mounts to keep her legal, man...but just be careful when mounting/dismounting the bike because those rubber stalks break loose when you hit them and you end up with a dangling directional."

But it gets better. Scroll through the pics and marvel at this guy's work. Here's my personal fave, where he has ONE muffler mounted to ONE of the two sawzalled headpipes:

"Shoot, bro...ain't that just COOL! Most guys would put TWO mufflers on their staggered dual pipes, but I went the CUSTOM route and only did ONE!!! And check it out, man...I kept the front fender for those few days when it rains so you only get ONE rooster tail. Can't do the rear fender though, since I sawzalled the rear frame off where it mounts...but at least you won't get sprayed in the face dude!"

At least he isn't calling it a bobber.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

It would be worth owning it just so you could ride it for a couple hours, then admire the designs on your butt, maybe post them on facebook and such....

I was kinda interested, but that first photo shows the bike with a front fender on it. So declasse! Then again, it IS raining in that photo, so maybe he pops it on for rainy days? Cause its absent in all other photos, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
City: Fredericton
I wonder if he got his $5,000? Seems to me, most of the fun of a bike like that is the hacking and cutting. (you know: "making it your own" ) If someone else had hacked and cut it, it just wouldn't be the same.
I particularly like the night shot with the turn signals on and the headlight off.... that'll really grab some attention.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

wheezeburnt wrote:
Then again, it IS raining in that photo, so maybe he pops it on for rainy days? Cause its absent in all other photos, I think.

Yep, that's what I surmised as well.

Did you happen to notice the "sometimes on the left/sometimes on the right" single OEM mirror as well? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:31 pm 

You don't mean to suggest.....

Loud ties save lives

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yep. That's a bi-cycle!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:02 pm 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Yep. That's a bi-cycle!!!!

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Loud ties save lives

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Bi...LOL

Now that gets me wondering if the muffler gets swapped from front to back too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 am 
Forum Moderator

Here's a winner from Wichita:

http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/3327815153.html

Quote:
2005 Honda Rebel 250 made into a bobber.

No it's not. It's been dismantled down to a partial bike. He removed the fenders and seat, he even removed the paint from the tank. A BOBBER THAT DOES NOT MAKE. Dismantling vehicles and/or operating them in straight lines takes the same amount of skill and imagination: none. A chimp can do either.

And who doesn't love that metal seat pan/number plaque? That's a professional racer folks...he picked the most invisible spot on the bike while riding for the number plaque!

Quote:
New chain, and spark plugs. Just lost interest.

I can imagine he lost interest, if he dismantled anything else it wouldn't run.

Quote:
I do have a clean title in hand ready to sign.
I also have all of the stock parts that came with the bike to convert it back to original. (Seats, fenders, side covers, intake, handle bars, turn signals, mirrors, more... etc.)

But not the exhaust, since it's a one piece construction that he cut for those $2.89 Auto Zone angled exhaust collars.

Quote:
$ 2,400 OBO,

Good luck on that, the complete bike has depreciated far more than $600 since 2005.

Quote:
Considering trades depending on what you have, mainly looking for another bike, maybe a project car.

translation: "I can't wait to tear apart my next vehicle and call it something it isn't. Maybe I can remove some bodywork from a Geo Metro and call it a hot rod...."

Quote:
The last pic is the bike converted back to stock.

Wow, how ever did he manage to weld the mufflers back on and make it look so pristine? Not to mention restoring the paint to its factory sheen on that bare metal tank? That's actually quite amazing how he can do this degree of CONVERSION work between photo shoots. I take it back, this guy is a professional...why doesn't he have his own TV show? </sarcasm>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:05 am 

Motorcycle: SHADOW, REBEL, NIGHT HAWK
State/Province: AR
City: Forrest City
I think this guy really wants a 4 wheeler. Look what he wants to trade.
http://memphis.craigslist.org/wan/3314061093.html

85 REBEL 250
93 NIGHTHAWK 250
83 NIGHTHAWK 650
"Semper Fi Do or Die Devil Doc ALWAYS Tries"
"Through the Gates of Hell for a Wounded Marine"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next