It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: PLEASE do not reply to Spam
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
As many of you may have noticed, we have become inundated with spam lately/ I would like to take this moment to request that everyone refrain from responding to any thread that has spam in it, whether it's a brand new thread opening with spam or a spammer "responding" to an existing thread.

See, what happens is this: one method that spammers make money by is selling info to other spammers concerning what locales are active. In other words, if a spammer posts his spam and gets a hit or two, he knows he has found an active site and sells this info to other spammers. Result? More spam from other spammers.

Which is part of the reason why we are getting hit with so much of it lately...we had a spammer post some drivel and rather than wiping the entire thread (as it already had a response) only the spam was removed. Hence the spammer was still getting notifications to the "subscribed thread" despite being removed from it.

If at anytime you come across this stuff, just leave it be and one of us will be along to take care of it. You can even report it if you like, you'll see a red exclamation point at the lower right corner of every post, click on that to report any post that is spam. But do not respond to it.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Post subject: Re: PLEASE do not reply to Spam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:44 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Evidently this just isn't getting across. So let me start off with this:

DO NOT POST IN ANY THREAD WITH A SPAM POST IN IT!

I wanted to dash off a quick list of short replies to the most common question about the waves of spam lately, but I'm badly stunted for time, so here goes a very tiny list of the answers to the most common questions:

Why shouldn't I reply to spam?

Because every account that posts spam clicks that little "subscribe to this thread" toggle. As soon as something is posted in it, the spamming begins in earnest. While we delete a _lot_ of spam, there's an interesting trend:

When I check the ISP of a spammer, I find that there are thousands of different ISPs, and after a good night's spamming, we might get thirty posts from thirty ISPs. After just _ONE_ thread is replied to, we get sixty or so, over half of which are from the same ISP. Guess which one?

If you said "whatever ISP is the same as the one in the thread that was replied to," you are correct. Not only does replying to a spam post or spammed thread increase my workload, it rewards you with more spam.

Aren't you guys using Captcha?

Yes we are. Against my better judgement, when we moved to the new software, I caved in to all the crybabies who were so morally outraged by our previous (and I might mention 100-percent spam proof) protections. Every time I turned around, someone was crying "I don't want to wait a week to post a link! I don't want to wait five whole days to post a picture! I want my everything now!"--
all of which was constantly being exacerbated by a few people who always chimed in with "Yeah; this is the only board I've ever been on that makes you do this. Everyone else uses Captcha---"

I try to be a nice guy, so instead of continuing on with my usual "we do this because Captcha sucks" policies, I figured "hey; new look, new features-- why not give them what they want?"

Granted, what they want was a crappy defense and a board full of spam, but hey: we went with Captcha.

Guess what?

IT STILL SUCKS!

Why do you dislike captcha?

Well, apart from the extremely obvious, it doesn't work against live spammers. Yep; that's what we get hit by: live spammers. No; no one in the west would do this for a living, but in places were three bucks a week will keep a roof over your head, you better believe this has become something of a cottage industry: use robots to find forums and shoot links to live people to get past the captchas. Subscribe to the threads and turn it back over to the robots who wait patiently for a hit.

You don't even have to speak the same language: "e-mail address" looks pretty much the same in all languages, and simply match the Captcha to the little shapes on your keyboard, and boom-- you're a spamming machine.

What can we do to help?

Don't reply to any thread with spam in it.

If you have a G-mail account, get something else. I'm looking into methods to simply block any membership involving a G-mail account. I hate to do it, but frankly, we've only had one spammer who _didn't_ have a G-mail, so....

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:39 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
Duke wrote:
If you have a G-mail account, get something else. I'm looking into methods to simply block any membership involving a G-mail account. I hate to do it, but frankly, we've only had one spammer who _didn't_ have a G-mail, so....

This is sort of a problem. I use GMail over Yahoo or Hotmail because my workplace assigns a high enough likelihood of spam to those originating addresses that I basically can't send an email to work from them. Back when I ran my old mailserver, I just automatically blocked anything from hotmail that wasn't whitelisted. I've also tried both and hated their interfaces.

I can understand the impulse -- if that's where all the spam is coming from, it's an easy short term fix -- but it would block a lot of people like me from the forum. If it comes down to it, being able to communicate reliably with friends, family, and co-workers is more important than one forum. Is it possible to just stick us GMail users with a more obnoxious sign-up process?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:30 pm 

Motorcycle: '95 EN500-A6, '80 CB400T (rig)
State/Province: WV
City: Brandywine
I for one think that the least intrusive option would be to disallow posting links and pictures until a certain post-count or account age or something is reached (I assume it still tracks post count internally, just doesn't display it anywhere?). Maybe even only from addresses originating from a public mail service, if there's an easy way to do that without digging into the forum code too deeply.

Someone will always complain no matter what y'all do, Duke. ;P

1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
2005 Honda Rebel 250

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well something needs to be done. I just took care of five spam posts from the past couple of hours. I'm in favor of anything that gets me back to talking about Rebels instead of dealing with this crap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:29 am 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
Are we currently using captcha in any way? Especially on the new joins, that will help. Flood controls, say 1 post every six hours for the first couple of days, or manual approval for the first two posts, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

fastpakr wrote:
Are we currently using captcha in any way?

Yes, and that's the problem:

Quote:
Aren't you guys using Captcha?

Yes we are. Against my better judgement, when we moved to the new software, I caved in to all the crybabies who were so morally outraged by our previous (and I might mention 100-percent spam proof) protections. Every time I turned around, someone was crying "I don't want to wait a week to post a link! I don't want to wait five whole days to post a picture! I want my everything now!"--
all of which was constantly being exacerbated by a few people who always chimed in with "Yeah; this is the only board I've ever been on that makes you do this. Everyone else uses Captcha---"

I try to be a nice guy, so instead of continuing on with my usual "we do this because Captcha sucks" policies, I figured "hey; new look, new features-- why not give them what they want?"

Granted, what they want was a crappy defense and a board full of spam, but hey: we went with Captcha.

Guess what?

IT STILL SUCKS!

Why does it suck?

Quote:
Why do you dislike captcha?

Well, apart from the extremely obvious, it doesn't work against live spammers. Yep; that's what we get hit by: live spammers. No; no one in the west would do this for a living, but in places were three bucks a week will keep a roof over your head, you better believe this has become something of a cottage industry: use robots to find forums and shoot links to live people to get past the captchas. Subscribe to the threads and turn it back over to the robots who wait patiently for a hit.

You don't even have to speak the same language: "e-mail address" looks pretty much the same in all languages, and simply match the Captcha to the little shapes on your keyboard, and boom-- you're a spamming machine.

Hence the problems we are currently experiencing, further fueled by those that respond to the spam.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:20 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
And the spam still rolls in.

I'd be all in favor of the waiting periods like the forum had when I joined.
It wasn't painful to wait and gave me something to look forward to.
The spam IS painful.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:37 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
Yep. The waiting period didn't bother me in the slightest. If you're new and you want to post photos to diagnose a problem or something, there's ways around it -- ask someone who's been around for a while to post it for you, for instance.

Then again, I'm of the firm belief that most people need a good lesson in patience, and I have no problem providing it for them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:21 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm just going to say this once more, as I have PM'd no fewer than four members today on the issue and I really don't feel like PMing the fifth:

DO NOT REPLY TO THE #!¢&-ING SPAM!!!

I can translate this into other languages if it helps get the point across:

不要回复该死的垃圾邮件!

Antwoord niet op de fokken spam!

HUWAG tumugon upang mapahamak spam!

Nicht auf den verdammten Spam antworten!

Non rispondere allo spam, cazzo!

クソスパムメールには返信しない!

Não responda ao spam, porra!

Не отвечайте на спам гребаный!

No respondas al spam de mierda!

KHÔNG trả lời các thư rác chết tiệt!

DO NOT REPLY TO THE #!¢&-ING SPAM!!!

Or maybe I'm the one that's not grasping something here...do you folks actually LIKE the spam?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:48 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Quit beating around the bush and say what you mean shack.. :D Seriously folks,,, what he said.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:54 pm 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Fort Worth
This might be a bit extreme but what if the site was to be taken off the net for a week or two. Maybe the spammers will take the site off their lists. Just a thought. I know I will survive without the site for a week or two. I can only imagine the heartache for the mods. It chaps my hide I see a new post and have to look at the join date and be careful as to what I reply to.

Another idea to lessen the load on the mods is maybe increase the number of mods and limit their powers say to thread management. Able to delete the threads and then send a message for account removal. I would think it would be easier to delete multiple accounts once a day or every two days with the extra mods keeping the threads clean.

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Yet again I will ask that no one respond to any post that is obviously spam. The latest ploy is to resurrect an old thread and insert a spam post. Do not respond. One of the mods will be along to take care of the post and the poster.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:22 pm 

I had noticed that spammer latching on to an existing thread.
Can I assume that hitting the "report post" button is acceptable?

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

By all means, reporting is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:42 pm 

To the guys responding to the "helllo,newbie here,greeting from NY" thread.

Yes, that is a signature spammer!

We see them many times at the forum I volunteer moderate for.

They are a pernicious lot. If I had my way, spammers would be sent a 400K voltage spike and their computers incinerated.
I'm not trying to scold, just let you all know about these spammers. Just hit the report button on those threads and if it has already been report just rest easy. One of the moderators here will zap them in due course

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, when the spam link in the sig doesn't cue you in to the nature of the post, the info usually gives another clue. In the case of this most recent clown:

Quote:
State/Province: CA
City: Green Bay

When the distances between the city, state, and country of origin can all be measured in thousands of miles apart, that's a pretty good indication that the poster is a third world dwelling spammer. Green Bay is about 2000 miles from California, and I googled "Irupunov" and found absolutely nothing but I'm pretty sure it's not part of the United States.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

This bears mentioning because it happened again. Twice in two days no less. Please, if this isn't self explanatory, chime in so we can explain it to you in simpler terms.

DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

Let me repeat that because it needs to be understood:

DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

Furthermore,

DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

Before I close,

DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

And, finally...

DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

P.S.

DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

And just in case English isn't your strong suit:

عدم الرد على الرسائل الاقتحامية.

不要回复垃圾邮件。

Beantwoord geen SPAM.

Huwag tumugon sa SPAM.

Ne répondez pas aux pourriels.

KEINE ANTWORT AUF SPAM.

ΜΗΝ ΑΠΑΝΤΗΣΗ ΣΕ SPAM.

אל תענה לדואר זבל.

NON RISPONDERE A SPAM.

迷惑メールには返信しない。

스팸에 회신하지 마십시오.

Ad primum ergo facere non spam.

Nie odpowiadaj na spam.

Não responda a SPAM.

НЕ ОТВЕТ НА СПАМ.

NO RESPONDA A SPAM.

อย่าตอบกลับอีเมลขยะ

Không trả lời thư rác.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]