All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Motorcycle Rental in Equador
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
I am just waiting to head for the Airport here in Quito after a 9 day adventure ride covering the Andes, Pacific Coast and Amazon Jungle regions of Equador. What a great trip this has been. Fabulous roads and scenery and minimal bad weather. It has been a concentrated dose of mountain roads mixed with a little dirt. Generally great paved roads and fantastic scenery although strange road hazards like coming around a bend on a great paved road into a 300 foot section of unpaved gravel. We learned to expect the unexpected.
. Maybe the best beach I have ever seen at Canoa. Miles of hard sand, sandy bottom with shallow dropoff. Very few people around. Was really great.
We did the self guided tour and rented bikes from Freedom Bike Rentals here in Quito. They provided GPS equipped bikes with all 9 days preprogrammed into them so finding the way was generally pretty easy. Hotels and many meals were also included in the total package.
It is a great way to do this type of tour without doing all the research yourself. I recommend the company highly. Good guys, very knowledgeble and professional. They also do guided tours for those who are so inclined.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate
1968 Triumph Bonneville

Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Refental in Equador
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:18 pm 

Motorcycle: 2005
State/Province: wa
City: PNW
Thanks for the recommendation! SA was on our short list, but we really wanted to get back to Thailand. We may do a shorter trip there. Freedom was one of the places that looked to have decent bikes and rates and interesting looking routes. What bikes did you use?

I'll have to email them next year, as vacation time approaches again. Wonder if they'd do a mish-mash of their current routes, as I would like to spend a month there.

Dee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:27 am 
Forum Moderator

I was on a BMW F800. Pretty capable bike and we were operating at up to 14000 feet altitude. The company is pretty flexible. I'm sure you could do a bike rental only deal. The inclusive package is good since it takes you by the nose to a lot of interesting places and roads and includes accomodations and a lot of meals.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1968 Triumph Bonneville

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:16 am 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
Just curious - what was the cost of the inclusive package? Sounds like a great trip.

Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Rental in Equador
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:40 am 
Forum Moderator

http://freedombikerental.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=170&Itemid=60You can review their offerings of different packages on their website. It depends on the bike used and the package.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1968 Triumph Bonneville

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:21 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
Duckster wrote:
I was on a BMW F800.

Just for clarity...is that the 800 that's actually 800cc or 650cc?

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

There is also an F650 single cylinder. One of our guys was on one of these, but it's quite gutless at speed compared to the 799 cc, 85 hp twin that I was on.
We were at altitudes of up to 14,400 feet which will significantly reduce the HP from the sea level value, but the EFI kept the engines running fine. One more example of why EFI is so much better than carburetors. Can you imagine the black smoke that would be coming from a sea level jetted Rebel at that altitude?

1996 Ducati 900SS
1968 Triumph Bonneville

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:30 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah I've never experienced that radical of altitude change* but I can imagine the whack it can have on a carb.

I asked the 650/800 Q out of curiosity, I'm sure either would be capable of the job. It still perplexes me to this day that a company like BMW would "mislabel" a product like that, I mean I'd fully expect it from a Chinese clone emulating a bigger bike with one of their handful of also-cloned small bore mills...but not Bavarian Motor Works. ;)

* the most I have experienced is half that, which fared well on stock jetting/intake but not so much on rejet/modified intake.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:35 am 
Forum Moderator

I'll confess to also having heard the story that the F800 was really only 650 cc or something to that effect, but after doing a little online research I have not been able to verify that this is the case. According to what I've found there have been F650 (singles) and F700 and F800 twins, but all labelled correctly as to their displacement. Could this story have been an urban biker legend?

1996 Ducati 900SS
1968 Triumph Bonneville

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:12 am 
Forum Moderator

Found it, and I had it backwards...

https://www.cycleworld.com/2009/02/01/2 ... first-look

Quote:
Forget what the logo on the side of the F650GS reads, because this bike is not what it seems. First, it's not a 650—it's actually powered by a 798cc, liquid-cooled, parallel-Twin engine just like its sibling, the F800GS.

As if the designation wasn't confusing enough, I am further puzzled by the aardvark fairing/fender poised over the wheel fender...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:21 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the reference.. it does seem to be very confusing. The twin cylinder F650 seems to be the same spec as the f800 but early models claimed only 71 HP vs the 85 hp claimed for the F800. The bike that my son in law rode on this trip was the smaller single cylinder version though. The beak on the fairing on my GS serves to protect the oil cooler somewhat from flying rocks and mud since the top surface serves as an air inlet channel to the oil cooler. Other than that I don't know what purpose it serves, but it seems to be a common feature of all adventure touring bikes.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1968 Triumph Bonneville

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

I get the function of the beak...however a lot (not all) of dual sports have either a high mounted fender or the beak, whereas the bikes sporting both the beak AND a fender are in the minority. Case in point, here's an "11 Best" article (take it for what it is, but note the pics):

http://www.thecoolist.com/best-dual-sport-motorcycles/

Only two of those are sporting both a beak and fender, the rest have one or the other.

I suppose if it's a frame mounted/stationary beak then a fender does make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

All but the last 2 of those "dual sports" lean much closer to the "dirt bike" side than the road bike side. the R1200 and the Multistrada are both very comfortable at 80 mph on the freeway and perhaps that's partly why they have close fitting fenders as well as beaks . The fender keeps the wheelspray a little more under control. Both the R1200 and Multistrada have much bigger engines and much heavier chassis than the other dirt bikes. From my limited experience in dirt, heavy is not a good thing. If you drop one of these things in a mudhole you may need a crane to get it out.
My observation would be that the high fender only bikes are best suited for real dirt riding, and not so much for long haul highway stuff.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1968 Triumph Bonneville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:43 pm 

Motorcycle: 2005
State/Province: wa
City: PNW
Duckster wrote:
Can you imagine the black smoke that would be coming from a sea level jetted Rebel at that altitude?

Mine was running clean at 11,000 on Beartooth! Wasn't going very fast, though. haha
:-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:01 am 

Motorcycle: 1999 CMX250C Rebel
State/Province: GA
City: Avera
Last time I went over Beartooth, it was in a sudden unexpected summer blizzard whiteout. Low gear, creeping along just trying to see the centerline to avoid running of the side of a cliff, or into the other lane. Forget about seeing any other vehicles, or any distance, I was just trying to see the line on the road beside the bike. First the windshield froze over, then my helmet shield, the my glasses, and finally my eyeballs. Made it over the summit, then snow changed to rain, and by the time I got down the other side, the sun was back out, and it was summertime again.

Weird as the devil, but a hell of a story to tell the grandkids about a great adventure. Riding back over a few days later in bright sunshine, was terrifying realizing what I had come over blind in the snow, and how easy it would have been to really mess up.

I may have to try the Ecuador tour Duckster. It sounds like another great adventure. Thanks for sharing.