It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can the Rebel 250 go on the Freeway? What is top speed?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:45 pm 

Motorcycle: 1985
Rebel: 250
State/Province: Or
City: Eugene
My bike has 160000 miles allready Im just trying to find some things out to make the old girl not have to strugle so hard.

Just reducing wind resestence with a winshield the moves the air arround. Or giving it a slightly larger front sprocket. Guess Im used to bicycleing to much and having sooo many diffrent gear varations to work with in diffrent sisuations. Try converting the rebel in to a semi off road bike. Or like lots of people using crossover motocross on street. I have lots of flat and bussy fast hiway. For me its kinda a safty issue. Having a !LITTLE! more speed so im not interfering with semi truck that go faster than me. I WANT to enjoy the ride not feel like the kid in the drain way in Termanator 2 being chased down by a semi.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:57 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
I have put about 7,000 freeway miles on my Rebel so far, in the southwestern U.S., and have rarely ever exceeded 60 mph. I have ridden it from Phoenix to San Diego THREE times. I ride in the right lane, put an orange construction vest on the back of it, stretched over all the stuff I have strapped to it, and wear a white helmet. So far I have had no issues. There are roads I would not ride the Rebel on period. Just too dangerous. The thing with riding a Rebel on the freeway is you are flat out or close to it, with nothing in reserve. It's not like a larger bike, where you can just twist the throttle and be gone. Even at 60, nothing is going to happen for some time if I whack the throttle wide open, then it will be a 2 minute trip up close to 80. Definitely not going to get you out of trouble in a hurry. So rather than beat the bike up by riding 70-75, I just kick back and cruise at 60. I don't see how you are in more danger that way. You're a rolling roadblock either way, so it is better to just pay really close attention to your mirrors.

My Rebel does not have turn signals, but if yours does, it is a good idea to convert them to 4 way flashers, and if you see someone coming up a little too close, turn them on.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:15 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
JerryH wrote:
Why would you want to go that fast? The Rebel is not only a small bike, but it is a cruiser, which means it is designed just for the simple pleasure of riding, which high speed does not enter into. If you want to go fast on a 250, get a Ninja 250. They will easily top 100 mph, so if you want to ride 75-80, you are still far enough below it's max speed to be fairly safe. But a Ninja is a sportbike, designed to be ridden hard and fast, and to handle curves well. You give up a great deal of comfort for that. I would much rather ride a Rebel cross country at 60 mph, than a Ninja cross country at 70-75. Slow down, enjoy the ride, have fun, and you might also get 100,000+ miles out of that Rebel.

A fair number of people live in places where, if you want to get somewhere, you have to get on a highway. And, in a lot of cases near me, the average speed on the highway is above 70. I've avoided it so far by taking my car, but there are some places that if I ever want to get there on the bike, I'll essentially be forced to either triple my travel time or get on a road where I have to run above 70. At that point... I'll run the bike above 70, and put up with it.

I do agree, though, that for long distance touring it would be better to either take smaller roads or a faster bike.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:00 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 2008
State/Province: FL
City: Key West
That's right Jeff! I just bought my third, new to me Rebel, and it is in top form. I was doing 65, going uphill, and was easily able to accelerate to 70, not even at full throttle. But, I that was a test, and I certainly wouldn't drive it like that regularly or for long distances. Though, on my second Rebel, which I just sold, I drove to work on the highway daily, running 65 with ease.

I think people like the size of the rebel, but want a bigger engine. Too bad they don't make the 450's anymore!

Cheers!

bB2NER wrote:
gjmcmurray wrote:
Hi there,
In my humble opinion, if you want to consistently do greater than 70 mph, get a bike with a bigger engine.

Exactly!!! why do so many people want the rebel 250 to operate outside it's comfort zone? It is what it is, a nice 45-65 mph back road cruiser.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:33 am 

Rebel: None
State/Province: Hi
City: Keaau
I don't have a Rebel, but am actually considering one after we move to the Big Island of Hawaii. I read a comment a few posts up that this persons Rebel gets 70 mpg and :you won't get that on a Harley". Probably not....but. My first Harley-Davidson was a 1984 Sportster XLX I bought new that year. Over the years I rode that bike it averaged about 65mpg....that's close. My current bie-a 2006 XL883 Sporster doesn't average that good. But I'm on a little road trip right now on a ride to Orcas Island from our home in Puyallup, Wa. On this ride-on a tank riding on Highway 101 at speeds of 50-55 mph my XL got a tank at 65.1 mpg. A bigger engine just loafing along CAN get some pretty good gas mileage.

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:38 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 2008
State/Province: FL
City: Key West
Rebels are the best ever, and plus, made by Honda will go forever. Keep in mind, and this is after talking to Harley mechanics, harleys break down a lot.
Ride a Rebel first, it's not for a 6 ft tall 200 lb person. You will not be comfortable. It's for those of us that are shorter and lighter.

Cheers, safe riding! Gina

birdmove wrote:
I don't have a Rebel, but am actually considering one after we move to the Big Island of Hawaii. I read a comment a few posts up that this persons Rebel gets 70 mpg and :you won't get that on a Harley". Probably not....but. My first Harley-Davidson was a 1984 Sportster XLX I bought new that year. Over the years I rode that bike it averaged about 65mpg....that's close. My current bie-a 2006 XL883 Sporster doesn't average that good. But I'm on a little road trip right now on a ride to Orcas Island from our home in Puyallup, Wa. On this ride-on a tank riding on Highway 101 at speeds of 50-55 mph my XL got a tank at 65.1 mpg. A bigger engine just loafing along CAN get some pretty good gas mileage.

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:04 am 

gjmcmurray wrote:
Rebels are the best ever, and plus, made by Honda will go forever. Keep in mind, and this is after talking to Harley mechanics, harleys break down a lot.
Ride a Rebel first, it's not for a 6 ft tall 200 lb person. You will not be comfortable. It's for those of us that are shorter and lighter.

Depends on the riding -- I'm 6', and last summer I weighed 250 pounds (I've lost a lot of weight since then). I was fine for 20 or 30 miles, but then I started to feel cramped. I've gone as far as about 70 miles, but I was pretty sore when I was done. I'm working on how to upgrade the seat without replacing it or permanently modifying it, and once I've got it raised a few inches I think the bike will be good for much longer runs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 pm 

City: Chandler
I'm 6' about 210, and fit my Rebel perfectly. I can ride all day in reasonable comfort. I had to make 3 modifications to achieve this. I designed and fabricated brackets that moved the pegs, shifter, and brake 4" forward. That gave me legroom, but made it harder to sit up straight. The riders backrest solved that issue. Now it is just like sitting in a recliner. To further increase comfort, I installed a beaded seat cover. Now the Rebel is just as comfortable for someone my size as a much larger bike. But, it still isn't any faster.

All interstate highways have at least 2 lanes going in the same direction. I stay in the right lane, the faster traffic can use the left lane. Even at 60 mph, I have come up behind vehicles I eventually had to pass. The only state I've ever ridden in with a minimum speed limit on an interstate highway is Texas, and I believe it is 50 mph. Just make yourself and your bike visible, and watch out for someone coming up to close behind you.

Now, there are some roads that I will not ride the Rebel on at all. In the Phoenix, AZ area, we have what is called the Loop 101. It is basically a big circle around the city of Phoenix, 4 lanes wide, sometimes 5, 86 miles long, with exits to all the suburbs, as well as downtown Phoenix. There is a lot of traffic on this road (unless it's midnight), bumper to bumper all lanes, average speed 75-80 mph. You would not last 5 miles in that on a Rebel. Riding a motorcycle of any kind on that road is scary, because of all the lane changing, passing, and variations in speed. It's kind of like being in the middle of a cattle stampede. Several accidents a day happen on that 86 mile road. I do not suggest riding a Rebel in traffic like that.

But I-8 from Phoenix to San Diego is virtually deserted except for trucks, and while the speed limit is 75 mph, it is perfectly safe to ride at 60 in the right lane. I've even rode my Vino 125 to San Diego and back once, at 50 mph. It's not legal, because the engine is not big enough (must have at least 150cc), but I never had any problems.

Not all Harleys break down. The ones made back during the AMF era and before broke down all the time, but so did most every other motorcycle. My '66 Triumph Bonneville was constantly breaking down. Todays Harleys are just as reliable as a Japanese bike. I cannot afford a new bike of any kind, unless it might be another Rebel, and I can't afford late model Harley big twins. But I have looked long and hard at some very nice late model Sportsters on Craigslist, problem is I have sat on a few, and they are just not big enough for me. And now after acquiring my second Goldwing (1985 model, was given to me with quite a few problems) I have my heart set on a used Honda Valkyrie, which doesn't cost much more than a good used Sportster, and properly taken care of, will last more than 250,000 miles, farther than I will ever ride at my age. And with it's 1500cc six cylinder carbureted engine, will pretty much leave any car in the dust.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:54 am 

State/Province: Hi
City: Keaau
I'm about 5'9" and 175 pounds. My Sportster has had one minor oil leak repaired. Other than that it's been totally treliable. And I ride it year round to work. That includes weather down to 16 degrees F. Even that cold, the bike fired off okay and got me to work and back every day. It has hydraulic valve lifters, so valves never need adjusting. Belt final drive, which I have grown to LOVE. The darn belt just never seems to stretch and never needs lubing. No oil slinging off your drive chain-ever. Mine has a carburetor (the last year with those was 2006-2007 switched to fuel injection). My bike gets ridden in nasty weather all the time, so it's not one of those immacuately always washed and polished Harleys where the owner spends more time polishing the bike than riding it. My tank has scratches from the magnetic tank bag I use. By the time I realized it was scratching the tank-it was too late. So I just don't stress over it.

Harley-Davidsons are actually quite reliable in the newer models. It's not uncommon to see Sportsters made in the 90s and up go 100,000 miles. A co-worker recently bought a 1992 XL1200 with 60,000 miles and it runs like a top. Mines only at about 13,000 miles. But I've owned other motorcycles that I rode a lot also since I got the XL. Right now, mt Sportster is the only motorcycle I have.
r
jon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:31 am 

Motorcycle: 86'
State/Province: CP
City: Kandy
I was able to hit 130 kph

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 am 

My 250 Rebel can just make 65mph; I change into 5th at 50-55 and it just won't go faster. I'm 94kg, but I expected it would do more than that - I had a 1966 yamaha 250 in 1971 that would take me to 85mph, so i guess I'm rather disappointed.
Just as well I have a 1500 Kawa Meanstreak as well (that does more than 65mph..............)
Posti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:47 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
City: Green Valley
That sounds like you might need plugs or a valve adjustment. I'm about 180 pounds geared up and my wife's Rebel got up to about 77 today running WOT on the freeway, without tucking.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:20 am 

posti wrote:
My 250 Rebel can just make 65mph; I change into 5th at 50-55 and it just won't go faster. I'm 94kg, but I expected it would do more than that - I had a 1966 yamaha 250 in 1971 that would take me to 85mph, so i guess I'm rather disappointed.
Just as well I have a 1500 Kawa Meanstreak as well (that does more than 65mph..............)
Posti

Last week I kept my Rebel at 55 on a very hilly highway in 5th, and hit an indicated 70 on a reasonably flat highway. Right now I weigh about 230, plus boots, helmet, jacket, and full saddlebags. You shouldn't be having any trouble unless there's a problem with your bike, I don't think...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:38 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: OK
City: OKC
I was surprised to see people ask the question of whether or not the Rebel could do highway.... I realize that it isn't a huge bike, but at a minimum, with a reasonably sized person I would think 55 mph would be no problem. I had a Yamaha DT100 back in the late 80's that could hit 70 without a problem, even uphill (olf course, I weighed like 150 back then tho!). I wouldn't imagine it being a bike that would cruise at 90, but no reason to suspect it couldn't do 55 pretty easy.... unless, of course, you are a really big fella.....

Toys:
1979 Yamaha XT 500
1980 Yamaha GT 80
1983 Yamaha Exciter 250
1986 Honda Rebel 250
(8) 1979 - 1984 Honda FL250 Odysseys

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:22 pm 

Motorcycle: 2008 FLHRC Road King Classic
State/Province: In
City: Peru
whammo77 wrote:
I wouldn't imagine it being a bike that would cruise at 90, but no reason to suspect it couldn't do 55 pretty easy.... unless, of course, you are a really big fella.....

I resemble that remark. :lol: Yeah I'm fat and look funny riding a little bike like the Rebel, but it will still do 65-70mph without any issues.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: OK
City: OKC
Hazzardousmat wrote:
whammo77 wrote:
I wouldn't imagine it being a bike that would cruise at 90, but no reason to suspect it couldn't do 55 pretty easy.... unless, of course, you are a really big fella.....

I resemble that remark. :lol: Yeah I'm fat and look funny riding a little bike like the Rebel, but it will still do 65-70mph without any issues.

Hehe.... I have a little Yamaha gt80 that I have had since it was new in 1980. Every time my cousin would come over my dad would let him ride it. He was a pretty good sized fella..... had to have been 345 easy, if not closer to 400. Talk about looking funny! Each butt cheek hung down off the bike. Looked like the bike was stuck up his crack lol. I sometimes feared it would get stuck there, lol.

I always felt so terrible for my little 80.... I just knew he was gonna kill it. Little ole' bike took it tho, and it's still running strong today on the original engine....

Toys:
1979 Yamaha XT 500
1980 Yamaha GT 80
1983 Yamaha Exciter 250
1986 Honda Rebel 250
(8) 1979 - 1984 Honda FL250 Odysseys

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:08 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel
State/Province: MO
City: Leadwood
gjmcmurray wrote:

I am 6'6" and 250lbs. While I may not be the tallest person on planet earth, by far, I think I have some experience on the subject.

Tall people live in a short people world. We understand this and deal with it, usually without complaint. If you like golf, watch George Archer, he was a tall man playing before 'fitted clubs' existed, and he played with, and beat, the best.

I get on my Rebel, yup, I am big on it. I get on my friends Suzuki 500, and I am big on it too. I go to the Harley shop, and guess what? I tower over those bikes too. I get in my Chevy pickup, and when I sit straight up, my head has to turn sideways from hitting the roof of the truck. I drove a 2 ton dump truck for a while, and I was oversized at the controls there to.

I hope I have got the point across that tall people have to develop the ability to deal with things.

So the real question is, can a 6'6" person deal with riding a Rebel?

YES

It is a cruiser, the controls are forward, you have to raise the handlebar, but beyond that, no real alteration needs to be made. I had it going 70 and had power to spare. I would estimate I can reach the 80's with a little bit of road to build up on.

But I have no interest in going that fast. I bought a cruiser to cruise. I go 55-65mph, I get between 60-70mpg, and I have fun.

My question to add to this dead horse thread is, does the CR7HS cooler plug really help save the engine for long trips, or is it better to leave a factory Rebel alone, and just not run it too hard?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:24 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
It would be a marginal difference... At high speeds the air cooling fins of the Rebel engine work very efficiently to dissipate heat, but the high fuel burn of WOT operation will be making the maximum amount of heat possible. The cooler plug will dissipate combustion chamber heat to the head better so as to limit the tip temperature. As Buickguy points out, the factory recommend going to a little cooler plug for sustained high speeds .
Like most engineering specs, a narrow RANGE of solutions will be acceptable. There is always a plus or minus tolerance.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:05 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel
State/Province: MO
City: Leadwood
Duckster wrote:
It would be a marginal difference... At high speeds the air cooling fins of the Rebel engine work very efficiently to dissipate heat, but the high fuel burn of WOT operation will be making the maximum amount of heat possible. The cooler plug will dissipate combustion chamber heat to the head better so as to limit the tip temperature. As Buickguy points out, the factory recommend going to a little cooler plug for sustained high speeds .
Like most engineering specs, a narrow RANGE of solutions will be acceptable. There is always a plus or minus tolerance.

I appreciate all the advice I have received on the plugs. I guess I am just over-thinking because I really enjoy my Rebel and I want it to be around for a very long time. I'm looking forward to going on some long rides, but I am realizing that no matter how long the ride is, I can only go the distance of one tank at a time. So, as long as I keep it at a speed it can handle, 60-65mph, and I give it (and myself) some good breaks in between tanks, then I should have no problem going wherever I would like to go. (*I will definitely stay away from those 70+mph right lane traffic roads if at all possible.)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:15 am 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
I think you will enjoy that kind of touring on the Rebel. I did that kind of traveling on mine back when it was new. Of course back then we had the national 55 mph limit but everyone was doing 65 or so anyway.

'61 Buick

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next