It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:03 am 

State/Province: NC
City: Charlotte
I have a 2006 250, I weigh 230 and had 25-30 lbs of luggage. I rode FOT from Easton PA to Charlotte NC over 2 days (550 miles in 12 hours which includes hourly stops for gas, lunch and seat relief). The Rebel went 75 mph (per GPS) on the flats and up to 80 downhills.

Post subject: Front sprocket swap
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:46 pm 

State/Province: FL
City: Jacksonvillle
:D The stock front sprocket on the 250cmx is 14 tooth and the upside of that is going to a 15 tooth. Never heard of a 16 tooth, and I'm not sure if it would fit inside of the molded metal of that location. Fast Eddie Rebel 250

Post subject: Re: airborn
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Beautiful Ride wrote:
These are awfully light bikes. I would never go 85mph on it. Seems to me if you hit one tiny peice of gravel you would likely be airborn or lose control.

Two popular misconceptions I hear over and over again. Please take issue with these ideas whenever you hear them. :lol:

1. Lightweight bikes can go like stink, and handle better than any lead sled you can think of. Case in point,, Valentino Rossi's Factory Yamaha M1. 220 H.P. top speed 200+ MPH, weight ...326 lbs... There are plenty of others. End of discussion.

2. at high speeds, hitting a little piece of gravel will do exactly nothing to your control. You have so much inertia in the direction of travel, that you will pass over the little obstacle without any effect whatever.
Same applies to small slip hazards like railway tracks. The faster you are going, the less effect they will have, even if you are leaned over in a curve when you pass over the rail. Reason?? the bike is over the hazard and back on good footing before it can even begin to overcome its inertia and slide sideways.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:18 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Pretty much what he said. :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:56 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
Ah, you guys and your physics.
Next you're gonna try to tell us that a 900 lb Goldwing is more susceptible to wind than my KZ440 LTD. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:43 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
:roll: :roll: :roll:

(you realize that someone reading right now is going to believe you, right? ;) )

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:29 am 

Motorcycle: Rebel CA125
Rebel: 125
City: Sandnessjoen
Here we got "cattle guard's" (idk if that is the right word for them. Blame google translate. They are like a ""bridge"" with steel pipes laying over a hole in the road. So that you can drive over, but cattle and the like cant walk over).
One of them being in a "tiny" turn/kink on the road.
Have actually felt that I was sliding when I went over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:57 am 
Forum Moderator

88nightrider wrote:

I expect that you were. Slicker than snot.

Last week I was on a ride with some friends, one of whom was on an FZ1. we were crossing a covered bridge with a wooden floor, on a foggy, rainy day. He barely touched the throttle and slid about a foot to one side. I HATE those wooden-floored bridges. :shock:

brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:50 am 
Forum Moderator

88nightrider wrote:
Here we got "cattle guard's" (idk if that is the right word for them. Blame google translate. They are like a ""bridge"" with steel pipes laying over a hole in the road. So that you can drive over, but cattle and the like cant walk over).
One of them being in a "tiny" turn/kink on the road.

"Texas Gates" they call these in Alberta.. and yes you can slip on them if you are loading your tires at all because there are usually 6 or 7 bars with a lot of air space in between, so its quite different from the momentary blip in traction that you see from a pebble or a railway track.

1996 Ducati 900SS

Post subject: 5000 miles in 5 weeks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:20 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 2008
City: Key West
I just found this post and I fell off my chair laughing!

I TOOK A 5000 MILE TRIP ACROSS THE STATES IN FIVE WEEKS, HIGHWAY RIDING 80% AT 55-75 MPH NO PROBLEM.

NJ, NY, PA, VA, NC, TN, AR, TX,LA, MS, AL, FL.

Back in 1970, my Dad rode a little 200cc Yamaha from TX to CA and back.

It's just like SUVs and everything else American, bigger "ain't" better.

Yeah, my Rebel looks good and I get tons of compliments on it. People always think it's a bigger bike.

70 mpg, you won't get that on a Harley.

And hey, you with that big noisy bike, what are you compensating for? ha haha

To each his own though, and if you want a bigger bike, for it, the dealers would love to take that extra $5000 out of your wallet. But that $5000 could be used to outfit your bike and take a month of work, and see the world...or part of it!

and when people ask me when I'm trading up for a bigger bike, I ask them about their longest bike trip, and they haven't even left the state.

So there!

(Everything I said is with humour, so don't get all bent!) Everyone should ride motorcycles, no matter what size...reduce our use of oil, reduce traffic, etc etc!)

Love, Light, and safe rides... Gina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:23 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Shadow ACE (2003)
Rebel: None
State/Province: DE
Yeah, but your Rebel's in Texas...and EVERYthing's bigger in TEXAS.

;0)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:57 am 

ha ha ha!
but, NOT everything is...ha ha ha

[quote="LaFazinator"]Yeah, but your Rebel's in Texas...and EVERYthing's bigger in TEXAS.

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

An old pilot joke... well not really a joke... is that every pilot's idea of the bare minimum safe airplane is exactly what he normally flies now. Thus the jet jock is not happy flying pistons, and a multi engine guy doesn't like singles anymore. Some people look at bikes the same way...
"When I had a little one it was fine, it was all I knew, but now I need at least as many cc's as my current ride." :lol:

You can certainly plan a long trip on a Rebel as long as you are prepared to relax and take your time. A Rebel can go almost as fast as a big road burner's easy cruise speed, but will be working a lot harder, and will not have much power in reserve for passing or hills, especially with a big load in it. I think a cruise in the range of 55-60 would be sustainable on an all day basis for both man and machine. Much faster than that would get to be a grind for both (unless you fit helper pedals :lol: )

1996 Ducati 900SS

Post subject: Re: Can the Rebel 250 go on the Freeway? What is top speed?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:13 pm 

Motorcycle: 1985
State/Province: Or
City: Eugene
OK after much serching and reading I have come to a few basic questions regarding improving the 250s performance.

I only wan't to be able to go the 80mph or so the speedomater ses this thing can go. I don't want to linger in 80 just have it for emergency passing. I live in Oregon and to get anywhere is a long 2-3h (Portland,coast,eastern mts/deserts) ride from Eugene. (unless my destanation is close by).

I have a bit of a neglected bike been dooing all kinds of stuff to get it to a better state. What Ive dose so far.
New Sparkplugs(the ones in it were SPENT). Chain cleaning and oiling(DIRTY STICKY MESS and dry as a bone). Im runnig some carb cleanner through it.
Im going to change the oil next (that ot to be fun and DIRTY). I ran to OLD gass out of it there wasent much and it has new gass now(would premium gass give more umpf to the system?). Ive drained out all the puke tubes and got all the ventalation to the system cleaned out. Thats about it so far. I ran the bike on the hiway today, Got it to sorta max out at 65. I am NOT comfortable working the engine that hard.

The 3 questions I have would be.
1 If my air filters are totally old and cloged it that stealing a bunch of my power?
2 I was thinking of adding a windshield to deflect hiway speed wind. Would that get the bike some help going allong closer to 70-75?
3 Probilly lastly I was after lots of reading thinking about a change in the tooth count. I DON'T want to stress the system to much and again Im not looking to go 90-100. Is there a inbetween 30-33 rear that would only be a modest increse? Or is a 30 rear working real well for thoes who have it with out much extra wear and tear? Lastly on this a 15 tooth front seems to (what ive read) give a modest increse with out much wear and tear extra. But Issent it harder to get to installing that?

Any way any ideas or awnsers to my questions would be AWSOM!
Just need to give this thing a little more guts and I can live forever with it. I love my 250 in all other ways.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:14 pm 

Hi there,
In my humble opinion, if you want to consistently do greater than 70 mph, get a bike with a bigger engine.
The windshield will increase wind resistance overall due to size (physics), but it sure makes the ride more comfortable.
Me, I rode 5000 miles across the states in 5 weeks on my Reb, on highways, running the speed limit, sometimes 5 over, without problem. That qualifies my opinion.
I love Rebels, it's the only bike I'll own, in fact, I just bought my third one. But engine size limits speed, it's just a fact you can't get past, no matter how many mods you make. I hope you are doing all the maintenance for safety sake too.

Cheers and safe riding.
Gina

Noviastar wrote:
OK after much serching and reading I have come to a few basic questions regarding improving the 250s performance.

I only wan't to be able to go the 80mph or so the speedomater ses this thing can go. I don't want to linger in 80 just have it for emergency passing. I live in Oregon and to get anywhere is a long 2-3h (Portland,coast,eastern mts/deserts) ride from Eugene. (unless my destanation is close by).

I have a bit of a neglected bike been dooing all kinds of stuff to get it to a better state. What Ive dose so far.
New Sparkplugs(the ones in it were SPENT). Chain cleaning and oiling(DIRTY STICKY MESS and dry as a bone). Im runnig some carb cleanner through it.
Im going to change the oil next (that ot to be fun and DIRTY). I ran to OLD gass out of it there wasent much and it has new gass now(would premium gass give more umpf to the system?). Ive drained out all the puke tubes and got all the ventalation to the system cleaned out. Thats about it so far. I ran the bike on the hiway today, Got it to sorta max out at 65. I am NOT comfortable working the engine that hard.

The 3 questions I have would be.
1 If my air filters are totally old and cloged it that stealing a bunch of my power?
2 I was thinking of adding a windshield to deflect hiway speed wind. Would that get the bike some help going allong closer to 70-75?
3 Probilly lastly I was after lots of reading thinking about a change in the tooth count. I DON'T want to stress the system to much and again Im not looking to go 90-100. Is there a inbetween 30-33 rear that would only be a modest increse? Or is a 30 rear working real well for thoes who have it with out much extra wear and tear? Lastly on this a 15 tooth front seems to (what ive read) give a modest increse with out much wear and tear extra. But Issent it harder to get to installing that?

Just need to give this thing a little more guts and I can live forever with it. I love my 250 in all other ways.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 pm 

State/Province: TN
City: Camden
gjmcmurray wrote:
Hi there,
In my humble opinion, if you want to consistently do greater than 70 mph, get a bike with a bigger engine.

Exactly!!! why do so many people want the rebel 250 to operate outside it's comfort zone? It is what it is, a nice 45-65 mph back road cruiser.

86' Limited 250 - 1 of 600 made :rofl:
92' Shadow 1100

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:17 am 
Forum Moderator

"The windshield will increase wind resistance overall due to size (physics), "
I'd agree with that, in the case of most windshields that I've seen on Rebels,but a nice, smallish, contoured, non-tombstone style windshield can improve the situation. Unfaired bikes are not well designed in the context of wind resistance. They're all flat surfaces and turbulence-generators, and with a rider on board, even moreso. that's why a Toyota Corolla, weighing three times as much, can get considerably better mileage than a cruiser with a similarly sized engine. Well, its ONE of the reasons.....
brent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:29 am 
Forum Moderator

" I don't want to linger in 80 just have it for emergency passing".
I expect that, with a little maintenance and attention, you will get your bike to do the 'indicated' 80 mph. However, when you see how long it takes the bike to GET to that 80, and the amount of torque it doesn't have at that speed, you may wish to rethink the idea of relying upon it for 'emergency passing' at that speed. Ask folks here how long it actually takes to reach 80 on their rebel 250s.
It is nerve-wracking to watch someone on a two-lane highway pull out to pass a slower vehicle, and then take 20 to 30 seconds to SLOOOOWLY pass and pull in. In many cases, that is WAY too much exposure to the oncoming lane, and pretty much guarantees no one behind you will get to use that passing opportunity, as well.
But definitely go for the 80. It will be very helpful in keeping up with the flow of vehicles. Just don't count on it as a passing speed.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:19 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
Noviastar wrote:
I ran the bike on the hiway today, Got it to sorta max out at 65. I am NOT comfortable working the engine that hard.

Where were you shifting? I normally shift at 8/25/25/35, give or take, but for the highway I have to run it higher. I think I ran it to about 12/30/45/55 last time, and I had no problem getting up to 70. Remember that the Rebel engine has no problem revving high, and it sounds like it's screaming when it's really not doing that badly.

Quote:

I love my windshield. It's a Slipstreamer Spitfire (Jack has them, an riding in the fall I can see the improvement in aerodynamics. Leaves that used to blow in and hit me in the chest, then blow around in front of me are now deflected over my head without every hitting any part of the bike. I don't know whether it's actually improving power or efficiency, but I suspect it's making things a little easier for the bike.

As to the gear change... I haven't done it yet, but I plan to, probably next year. In theory, the front gear should be easier to install since you don't have to remove the wheel to do it. In my case, I plan to replace both gears at the same time, along with the chain, just so I have everything new at the same time.

Quote:

[/quote]

As others have said, a 250 Rebel isn't really ever going to be comfortable at 80. That's not what it's designed for. The gear change may help, and running it higher may help, but the final answer is that it's a small bike designed for tooling around town. If you really need to do long distance runs above 70mph, you might want to think about something with a little more power.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:33 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
wheezeburnt wrote:
Ah, you guys and your physics.
Next you're gonna try to tell us that a 900 lb Goldwing is more susceptible to wind than my KZ440 LTD. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brent

A Goldwing is a horrible bike to ride in the wind, and can be downright dangerous in gusty winds. It can seem calm for a few seconds, you loosen your grip, get hit with a huge gust of wind, and down you go. They are big and heavy, but they have a tremendous amount of surface area to catch the wind. Kind of like riding a sail.

The Rebel can be ridden around the world, IF you fit on it, and have the time. I had to modify mine so I fit on it. I was too big for it. Now it rivals my Goldwing for comfort, other than bumps. Bumps are one thing that DO have an effect on lightweight bikes.

I don't understand everyones thing with "speed". The Rebel is a 250, and a very mildly tuned, very UNaerodynamic one at that. It will run forever at a reasonable speed (which for me is 60 mph tops, other than for a few seconds at a time). The fact that a Rebel will run at 70+ mph for long periods of time is a testament to it's quality and reliability, and simple, old fashioned design. IMO, but based on known facts, you are seriously shortening the life of your Rebel by riding it at 75 mph on the freeway for hundreds of miles. Why would you want to go that fast? The Rebel is not only a small bike, but it is a cruiser, which means it is designed just for the simple pleasure of riding, which high speed does not enter into. If you want to go fast on a 250, get a Ninja 250. They will easily top 100 mph, so if you want to ride 75-80, you are still far enough below it's max speed to be fairly safe. But a Ninja is a sportbike, designed to be ridden hard and fast, and to handle curves well. You give up a great deal of comfort for that. I would much rather ride a Rebel cross country at 60 mph, than a Ninja cross country at 70-75. Slow down, enjoy the ride, have fun, and you might also get 100,000+ miles out of that Rebel.

No matter what you fly, the safest airplanes in the world are the Piper J3 Cub and the Cessna C150/152. You'd have to try real hard to crash either one of those.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next