It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: WhiteWall tires painting project
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:46 pm 

State/Province: NY
City: Queens
I decided and I did it. Now, it did not come out perfect and I feel I will be babying this for a while but at least I got some good pics :).

From advise of Dan (ddouble) I got Dunlop D404 (150/90-15 back, 100/90-18 front) and after a first ride they felt real good; maybe I persuaded myself, but I really do feel little more stability with fatter front. I looked through Dunlop selection and for Rebel there were no whitewalls, same was for every tire brand I checked, no WW love for Rebel.

So I went to my good buddy Google, and looked up "white tire paint". Pretty much only one useful link came up and that was the guy in Iceland with his white tire paint. Reviews seemed to be good so I decided to go ahead.

After reading some reviews, his description and anything else I could find on tire painting, I started to get my supplies together. This is what I got:

Goo Gone, Whitney's Bleche-White, paint thinner, some lint-free cloth, STP Son of a Gun, 4-5 cheap brushes, paper towels and misc - $25

White Tire Paint from Orn Sirgudsson (2 x 250 mil) - $75 (Shipping and money transfer charge :x arrrgh) included)

Dunlop 404's from tiresunlimited.com with tubes and strips ($140 shipping included)

Dealership mounting charge - $130

Total - $370

First the bad: Even after the 5 coats it still has a brownish-yellow off-white shade instead of very desirable snow white. Plus some random edges started coming off even before I mounted the tires. Currently I am just fixing it by using some paint as glue, putting in-between the tire and 5 layered paint piece. Overall I am satisfied and would rate the paint 7 out of 10. Considering that this paint was the only choice I've found, I am cool with project's outcome.

The way I did it goes like this:

1) Clean the tires with Goo Gone, though they are new and don't have any goo on it per se, they have some kind of oil from manufacturing process.

2) Clean the tires with Whitney's Bleche-White and thoroughly rinse with water, wait till dries.

3) Put masking tape all around the tires for slightly more precise painting.

4) Put the first coat of paint on both tires one side, wait 12 hours and put second coat on the other side waiting in total min of 24 hours between each coat on separate sides.

5) Repeated step 4 two more times.

6) Sprayed with Bleche-white (to try making it look whiter) and rinsed it. The reason I did that because one of the fellas that used this paint wrote to Orn that it helped him to get rid of yellowish shade after he cleaned with Whitney's and then painted again. Well I tried, it helped little I guess but not much.

7) Put fourth coat of paint.

8 ) Bleche-white and rinse, wait till dries. (still didn't help much)

9) Put fifth coat of paint. (at that moment I realized that it ain't gonna look much more white than it already is, and I had little paint left so I wanted to keep it for touch up purposes seeing that little layers of paint here and there started to randomly come off)

10) Use Swiss army knife to gently contour off extra paint from the edges of the wall. This paint becomes like rubber material after it dries, so it was pretty easy to slightly cut and then pull of. I was very careful not to cut the tire itself, that's why I used my semi dull Swiss army knife.

11) Optional: Make a funny Bennie Hill style (rip off :) ) video out of the whole thing.

Well, I love the way it looks, plus main thing I got new tires out of the whole thing, and I needed them (the old ones looked decent, but were 7 years old and kinda cracky :O). And today I hit 3000 on my bike. Hope that white paint 'mostly' sticks for good throughout at least a year or so and until then I'll be patching it there and here.

I made my best to take flattering pictures ;), and though the paint is not snow white, it still looks cussed good and rare for a Rebel. The guys at New York Honda dealership actually were arguing if it was painted or original. Have fun watching the video.

It was worth the effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:31 pm 

State/Province: NC
City: Winston-salem
Awww dude, that video was FREAKIN' AWESOME. When you put the tires around your waist and got on your bike, that was priceless. They look pretty good too. It'll be interesting to see how the paint holds up on the road.

Great job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:59 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Plano (dallas)
Loved the video, Q... that's some funny stuff there. :)

They look great! Here's to hoping they last and keep looking great!

:)

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:43 am 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: 1985 Rebel 250 - 1999 ACE 750
Rebel: 250
City: New York
you people from queens are CRAZY ! ha ha ha ha :lol:

I cant believe it, white walls on a rebel. you nuts ! :lol:

I never expected that ! GREAT JOB, !

and I love benny hill, you need some hot chicks in your video to chase you around the rebel at the end credits !

man thats awesome... let me know when you hit midtown, I wanna see your tires frist hand !

congrats agaion on your hard workl ! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:08 am 

State/Province: NJ
City: Margate City
I watched the video. Stanley Kubrick lives!!! I haven't been so moved since watching Carnival in Costa Rica with Carmen Miranda. Hey man, back off on the coffee.

Tires look great. If they can be sealed off with some sort of clear protectant they might last longer. It would take a real steep bank to get any road burn on them. Really enjoyed your pics. By the way, I looked and couldn't find any WWs either.

Good luck with them,

L.R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:51 am 

City: Queens
STP Son of a Gun is actually a very good protectant, it's just I am still in process of patchin up loose parts of paint layer, it's good to get it in early stage. For now I have to put on to protect and take off the STP SoG because paint won't stick to silicone, all sealants and protectants are full of silicone. It's not that bad though, mainly the back tire being difficult (especially the letter part after mechanics used machine to put the tire and messed up my paint a little), the front is as solid as I would like it.

Thank you everybody for your great comments. I think I am more excited that I actually did the little movie than painted the tires :). I am always glad to bring a smile and give a laugh, makes this world just little bit better.

p.s. I would also like to thank my wife for all the help (she reminded me about it too :D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:15 am 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
City: Fort Worth
very nice.

I loved that video. I really got a kick on how you carried the tires to the shop :)

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:41 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
City: Plano (dallas)
Yah, brings new meaning to "spare tire around the midsection".

I especially loved the bit where she comes up behind you whacking you on hte head as you both walk away from the bike, very hill-ish. :)

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
Sharp!

Something I've always pondered...those whitewall inserts that Sears and other outlets sell for vintage auto tires. I believe they're ABS plastic or something and they simply insert between the rim and bead?

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:07 pm 

Rebel: 450
City: London
That looks most excellent. 8)

I'd love to whitewall my chop...

Thanks for the review of the tire painting saga as well. I've had the paint people bookmarked for a couple of years and was thinking of doing the same... Nice to hear from a fellow Rebel'er about their real world experiences :D :D

sox

"Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:44 am 

The tires look great! Gracious, that video was entertaining too. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:51 am 

State/Province: MI
City: City Of Port Huron
how is it holding up (the paint) so far??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:15 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Los Angeles
Your Rebel looks like a Rebel King Classic [aka Road King Classic] with those white walls 8) Excellent job and looks great :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:03 pm 

Motorcycle: '02 Rebel
State/Province: OK
City: Sterling
Back in the day I painted tires with" white wall " paint and they always turned out yellow. Of course now days they would look like Goodyear racing Eagles.
Also tried the deals Shack referred to, but they were made of rubber and called "Port-a-Walls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:42 pm 

I know it's been awhile. Any update. It looks like Dunlop makes the rear tire in WW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:18 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Q hasn't been amongst us in a number of years now, I'm afraid :(

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:47 am 

It was linked to the tire page. I thought maybe someone else might have found WW or maybe done it themselves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:36 pm 

Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Rebel
State/Province: OH
City: Usa
I've always wanted whitewall tires. I never thought that there were manufactured WW tires for rebels, it took me a long time, and several shops to find tires for my Honda Rebel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:29 pm 

State/Province: AL
City: Arab
Does anyone think whitewall would look weird on a white bike? Mine is a 2006.

Don't know if I would actually do this project on mine, but it looks really cool on Quahogian's bike. I think the black helps to contrast the whitewall though. White on white might be a little too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:32 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
I've seen white Harley dressers with wide whitewall tires. They looked pretty good to me. The hard part would be keeping the painted whitewall clean. With nice clean whitewalls I think a white Rebel would looke good.
I wish they made a whitewall in both front and rear Rebel sizes. I'd have been putting them on mine.

'61 Buick