It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:43 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Right turn on red isn't legal in every state, and even in states where it is legal, it's not legal at every intersection, I'm afraid. :(

Worse still is the grey area of U-turn legality.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:23 pm 

(Un)fortunately, I live in an area where i can depend on opposing traffic to always be there to trip the sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:07 pm 
Forum Administrator

I tend to plan my night trips through town with an eye for that sort of thing: aiming for the busiest streets, etc.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject: FWIW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:51 pm 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: TX
City: Dallas
A buddy is a traffic signal tech in Florida. He sent me this drawing showing the best stopping positions, and his explanation.

the attachment shows a typical detection loop. the x shows the best place for you to place the engine of a motorcycle to be detected and get a green light. the loop generates a magnetic inductance field. when you place a car in this field, the inductance is interupted and the "brain" of the traffic light receives a message that a car is there. motorcycles have less metal than cars, so it is important to use the loop the right way to get detected. the magnetic field is not affected at all by putting a magnet under the motorcycle.the magnet idea is a hype and a money maker.you would be better off dragging a big traffic sign behind the bike.

Loud ties save lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:42 am 

Motorcycle: '85 Rebel 250 (sold Jan 2013)
State/Province: FL
City: Palm Beach County
There is a particular light in my town that I cannot trip if I am on the Rebel, regardless of lane position or other tricks I have tried Unfortunately I cannot avoid this light, I have to pass through the intersection on my way home from night classes. The catch is this intersection is equipped with red light cameras and I am wondering if running the red light on the Rebel would trigger the camera, resulting in a $371 ticket. Does anyone have any experience with these cameras and motorcycles? I am ready to just run the light and cover the rear plate with my hand to obscure the numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:04 pm 
Forum Administrator

Is it legal to right turn on red at this intersection?

If so, right turn, look for a place to either legal U-turn or pull into a place in which you can turn around and come back,

and when you get to the light again, a second right turn puts you back on course.

Yes; it's really irritating, but if you have a redlight camera there, it's the only legal option (assuming right turn on red, of course) available to you.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject: Re: Tripping red lights
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:58 pm 

Motorcycle: 86 rebel 250, 99 shadow ace to
State/Province: oh
City: Mason
so has anyone tried the rare earth magnets ? they for sure are the strongest man made magnets out there.

86 rebel 250 for sale with mods $2500
86 rebel 450
99 shadow ACE tourer 1100
85 elite 150d
85 elite 150

video Channel
http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction
Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/PhillbillyProduction

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:30 am 

Just stop at the intersection, look around to see if there are any police who might possibly ticket you, or oncoming vehicles that pose a safety hazard, then... just... frikken... GO!!!
It AIN'T rocket science, folks!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:48 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Might just want to check for intersection cameras while you're sweeping the horizon.
Seriously, I'm very much in agreement with the 'common sense' approach when the infrastructure lets you down, but when the technology fails to address an entire segment of the motoring public, I don't think it should be up to the operator to come up with 'work arounds' like magnets or engaging a sidestand. Or worse, to break the law. It sure wouldn't be 'rocket science' for the stoplight technology to catch up.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:03 am 

Wheezeburnt- Happily, in my local area, we do not yet have Orwell's "Big Brother" cameras at intersections, but I am afraid that as the tech grows ever less expensive, and as the general public grows ever more passive about surrendering their freedoms, rights, and privacy, that it's only a matter of time...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

We don't have them in my local area either, but then again, I'm a twenty minute ride to the nearest stoplight.
Can't say I'm a fan of surveillance, either, but they have been found to reduce the number of red light runners. Not willing to comment on whether running red lights is a fundamental freedom because my son was nailed by one on his motorcycle, and I'm not sure I'm a particularly objective observer for that reason.
Been hearing some stuff lately about how much more smoothly traffic can flow when there are NO stop lights/stop signs. Been done in Europe, I understand, in limited application. Apparently people quickly resort to a more courteous approach to driving and taking turns. We saw it here in Canada (Toronto) when a huge regional power outage occurred and after a short period of horn-honking and aggressiveness, folks just went about the business of getting traffic flowing smoothly again.
Just to get back to the topic, though, I'm with you, Frankenpickle. I just look around for traffic flows, then for police, and just proceed with caution. I would happily go fight a ticket for running a light safely when my duly licensed and approved vehicle will not trigger their ineffective technology. Anyone out there fought just such a ticket?
brent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:44 pm 
Forum Administrator

That might have worked here, even as little as thirty years ago.

Sadly, it's be a disaster today. We have drifted -- sometimes I fear irrecoverably-- into the "I am entitled to every single thing I want, when I want it" mentality. It's depressing when you hold the door for someone and the look at you with shock and confusion. :/

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:00 am 
Forum Moderator

Well, Duke, funny you should say that. If I recall, the major proponent, while being interviewed, was unconvinced it would work in the US outside of small towns and villages. At the time, I thought he must be wrong. But then, I don't live there. I'm fairly convinced it would work in the town I live near (well, its actually a city; well,actually the CAPITAL city, but only has 50,000+ residents). On the other hand, we do have our share of entitled, self-important sphincter-heads who believe that the trade-in value of their semi-luxury vehicle entitles them to special road rights. It IS, after all, a government and university town.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:41 pm 

Wheezeburnt- I most certainly agree with you that RUNNING red lights should NEVER happen, I'm just talking about a biker coming to a full, complete, stop, and then being " stranded" for Lord knows how long, because the bike doesn't have enough ferrous metal mass. (Very sorry to hear of your son being hit- hope he's OK). I, too, would love to hear about such tickets going to court, and the outcomes...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:17 pm 
Forum Administrator

I've never had one for _running_ a red light, but I've been to court twice for "questionable U-turns" using the methodology I've laid out above.

In both cases, the Judge decided that, having used discretion and not actually having run the red light, there was no reason to pursue punishment and the tickets were both dropped.

Again, though: I've not had to go stand up for a ticket for flat-out running it. I suspect a lot of it has to do with the rural / urban scale of your area. In my own experience, the larger and more densely-populated the area, the more important the _letter_ of the law becomes versus the spirit. :/

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14