It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:33 pm 

Motorcycle: 2002 V Star 650 Custom
Rebel: 450
State/Province: OH
City: Albany
jsonder wrote:
The frame is steel. I placed one on each side (after the down tube bifurcates) at the front of the motor,

If they aren't strong enough to stay in place on the frame, the magnets are not strong enough to do a good job at the sensor loop.

DOH! I can be such an airhead sometimes. You'd think that would've occurred to me before I asked the question :oops:

Therapy Is Expensive...Wind is Cheap!

Post subject: Triggering Traffic Signals
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:33 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Springfield
I've installed a little bar magnet on the underside of my bike that was supposed to signal to the traffic signal that I was waiting. I think it might have helped on a few lights near my house, but not many. Is there any REAL product that will do this much better? Anyone else try these magnets? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:58 am 

City: Columbus
I put the green light trigger on my bike last year. Same expereince as you, seems to have had some effect on some lights, but there are still some lights that absolutely will not change. At one light in particular, the wait is rather long - two lane road crossing six lanes. I sit and wait...and wait...finally the opposite side traffic will get a green, but my side stays red, until a car comes up behind me. :evil: fortunately I have the option to turn right and take a slightly different route there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:19 pm 

State/Province: AL
City: Hoover
well if no one comes i usually run it, my uncles a cop and i can weasel my way out hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:37 pm 

State/Province: VA
City: Richmond
I have heard that some have had success using one of the magnets in an old computer hard drive. You need something that will create a great disturbance in the force, I mean the electrical field.

Of course, if the light is tripped by a motion detector, no magnet will help.

'07 Suzuki Boulevard C90 Lehman trike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm 

Rebel: 250
State/Province: IN
City: Bloomington
Not a solution...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/87 ... etail.html

Quote:
LONGMONT, Colo. -- A Longmont man has been ticketed $50 for suspicion of interfering with a traffic signal but says he really enjoyed using it.

Jason Niccum told The Longmont Times-Call that he bought a device, called an Opticon, on eBay for $100 that let him change traffic lights from red to green. He told the newspaper the device "paid for itself" in the two years he had it, helping him cut his time driving to work.

Niccum was cited on March 29 after police said they caught him using the strobe-like device to change traffic signals. Police confiscated the Opticon, and informed Niccum it was illegal to possess it.

"I'm always running late," police quoted Niccum as saying in an incident report.

An Opticon shines a strobe light on the optical sensors set atop traffic signals, causing lights to jam.

City traffic engineer Joe Olson says traffic engineers plan to update the city's system this year to block unauthorized light-changing signals. He estimated that a new system, which would be able to block out all unauthorized light-changing signals, will cost taxpayers about $75,000.

The Opticon devices, which are becoming more commonplace, are marketed through many different avenues. Dealers are instructed to sell only to "authorized users" such as volunteer first responders, doctors and security personnel, but it is easy for anyone to buy the devices on line.

:roll:

Post subject: Re: Triggering Traffic Signals
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:15 pm 

City: Bristol
04RebelMatt wrote:
I've installed a little bar magnet on the underside of my bike that was supposed to signal to the traffic signal that I was waiting. I think it might have helped on a few lights near my house, but not many. Is there any REAL product that will do this much better? Anyone else try these magnets? :idea:

If the street is deserted and it's at night and there are no cameras...yeah, I'll run it. The way I figure, me running the red light is a lot safer than the chances of some drunk plowing thru me stopped in the street.

That 's a phobia of mine. Death by someone else's stupidity.

Otherwise, I try to time it so there's always a car in front of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 pm 

State/Province: OR
City: Usa
I mounted one of those hard drive magnets on the bottom of the frame. It helps, but not 100% of the time. You really have to make sure those hard drive magnets are oriented the right direction, since all of the magnetic field is directed to one side. I don't know how they do that, but they are so strong on one side that you practically have to use a pry bar to get one off a refrigerator, but the other side won't even hold a paper clip.

Sometimes killing and restarting the engine will trip the light if I'm sitting right above the antenna, or sensor loop, or whatever that thing is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:30 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Ft Hood
Around here there are 3 strips cut into the road at most stop lights. If I ride on one of the outer strips, the light will not change. If I ride right down that middle strip though, the light changes every time.

There's a light right outside where I live that doesn't like to change for cars alot of times. I've been stuck there myself in the car once. On the bike, the light on the cross street goes yellow almost as soon as I stop every time.

On the ones I can't get to change (without the 3 strips), I'll take a right or just run it when its safe to do so (after giving ample time for it to change of course). If I get a ticket I get a ticket, life goes on. I'll just go back with a video camera and tape the light not changing, see what the judge says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:27 pm 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
Check your local laws, some states allow turning on red after a suitable wait as long as it is done safely.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:29 pm 

I tested the trigger out today, on the way home from work. As I approached a red signal in the left turn lane, a van was beyond the trigger zone. I could see the cut lines and stopped directly over one, some have said this will work. It did not, the left turn arrow didn't light up. My car would have tripped it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:33 pm 

State/Province: TN
City: Camden
Those trigger lights are major BS. I wait 1 minute and if it doesn't change I treat the light like a stop sign. TN just finally passed a law making it legal to go when traffic is clear.

86' Limited 250 - 1 of 600 made :rofl:
92' Shadow 1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:57 pm 

City: Dublin
ive always been told that these traffic lights were done by weight. It would take some weight to trigger one. I guess I have been told wrong? I was wondering about that when I stopped at a light for the first time today and it went for 4 cycles bypassing when i finally just made a right hand turn and then circled back to go the route that I wanted to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:15 pm 

City: Ft Hood
Not all lights are the same. I don't have any real knowledge here, but it has become apparent to me that different lights use different triggering mechanisms.

Just do what you do and make a responsible decision, that's the best you can do.

The way I look at it, stop lights are there to keep an orderly flow of traffic. If you sit at an empty intersection for more than 2 minutes without the light changing, its not going to change. In that situation, common sense takes over. My common sense says that any cop who saw me waiting that long won't pull me over for crossing the intersection safely. If they do, then so be it. I believe I did the right thing and that's all that matters to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:42 am 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
City: Dallas
In my area, there are some signals that are triggered by weight. They are easy to spot; There is a device laid in a trench about a foot and a half wide with a steel frame around it. Most have been replaced with a wire loop laid in a series of saw cuts. Even those are being updated to a new type that extends more than a car length back from the stop line, so if I'm the first one at the light, a car behind me can advance the signal if I don't. If all else fails, there is right turn on red followed by a left or two, or if no one is around, run it after a reasonable wait.

Loud ties save lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:29 am 

City: Bristol
I think I'll tie a Yugo on my rear fender...that ought to work!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:10 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Los Angeles
I was thinking about wire-loop stoplight sensors the other day. I have no firsthand experience in how they work, but I can make a guess based on physics. Based on this guess, which I'll describe in a moment, permanent magnets should not generally work (although they might work sometimes, depending on how things are wired). However, if I'm right, there would be a way to build an artificial trigger that does not involve towing a Yugo.

A coil of wire has a property called inductance, measured in Henries. If the coil is connected to an electrical circuit, its inductance determines how it will behave. In a simple RLC (resistor, coil, capacitor), circuit, for example, changing the inductance will change the resonant frequency.

Anyway, placing a ferromagnetic material such as iron in the middle of a coil, or even near a coil, will change its inductance (*). So if that coil is part of a resonant circuit, placing a big chunk of iron (such as a car) near it will change the resonant frequency, and that's a relatively easy change to detect.

My guess is that this is how red light sensors work. They embed a coil of wire near the surface of the pavement, and when a car drives over, it changes the coil's inductance, leading to a detectable change in the resonant frequency and/or phase of some kind of driven LC circuit. If I'm right, then there are easy and hard steps we can do to improve our chances of being detected.

Easy: try to stop with wheels directly over the wire, not in the middle of the loop. The magnetic field is strongest very close to the wire, so getting the wheels right on top of it places their rim material right where it counts, and also places the frame and engine roughly along the wire as well (albeit slightly farther away).

Harder: if you can figure out what change they're testing for, then you can trick the coil with an active circuit. I am too lazy to try this, but the way I'd start is by waking up very early some Sunday morning and finding a deserted intersection, and then laying a loop of my own wire right over one of the stop light loops, possibly taped to the pavement. I'd hook my wire up to an oscilloscope and try to determine what kind of signal is being sent through it. I'm guessing that this will be a simple sine wave, but it might be something more complicated. I have no idea about the frequency, but that's what the oscilloscope is for. Then I'd roll a large car directly over the coil and see what happens to the signal. My guess is that its frequency will decrease ever-so-slightly and its phase will shift. Finally, I'd build a circuit with an antenna to measure the signal broadcast by the loop and deliver the phase-and-frequency adjusted reply to a coil mounted on the bottom of the bike. Voila--the loop thinks the bike is a car.

Does my guess seem reasonable? Does anyone want to try the oscilloscope experiment?

Because these coils have to detect all kinds of cars and trucks, and the vehicles might not be directly over the sensor, I'm guessing the electronics in the system are pretty liberal in what they'll accept, so we'd only have to get close.

(*) Technically the material doesn't even have to be ferromagnetic, it only has to have a magnetic permeability different from that of air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:47 pm 

City: Fort Worth
http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights

this is all you need to know...sheesh people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:05 pm 

Quote:
From the wiki link above:
Dipole loop - Put both wheels directly on one of the sawcuts at either the right or the left. If you're still not detected, lean slightly towards the center.

Quadrupole loop - Place both wheels on the center sawcut, which has two wires and is more sensitive. If the traffic light doesn't change, lean slightly towards one of the outer lines on either side.

Diagonal Quadrupole - Designed to sense two-wheeled vehicles more easily. If a two-wheeled vehicle isn't detected, the sensitivity of the loop might be too low in general.

I've noticed all these types of lines at various intersections, have parked the bike on the lines as suggested, and other ways. Doesnt seem to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:31 pm 

City: Fort Worth
kmag5 wrote:
Quote:
From the wiki link above:
Dipole loop - Put both wheels directly on one of the sawcuts at either the right or the left. If you're still not detected, lean slightly towards the center.

Quadrupole loop - Place both wheels on the center sawcut, which has two wires and is more sensitive. If the traffic light doesn't change, lean slightly towards one of the outer lines on either side.

Diagonal Quadrupole - Designed to sense two-wheeled vehicles more easily. If a two-wheeled vehicle isn't detected, the sensitivity of the loop might be too low in general.

I've noticed all these types of lines at various intersections, have parked the bike on the lines as suggested, and other ways. Doesnt seem to help.

sounds like you need to contact the city you're in and let them know so they can send someone out to adjust the sensitivity

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next