It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:15 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: West
Man call me the idiot for doing it while hot, but sure would had been nice if that tidbit was in the FAQ as well. Hope my head isnt toast, im out of money and probably a job as well. Cant afford 90 miles a day in a diesel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:08 pm 

State/Province: NE
City: Bellevue
Strickland,

You likely didn't do any damage if you didn't run it too long that way...
Readjust totally cold and see if you MPH don't go back up.
Don't sweat it till you see if its a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:52 pm 

Well i think i did. I readjust the valves this morning and went for a 10 minute ride. WOT i was lucky to get 65 with no real wind. I was hitting 75 with no real worries before this. Scored valves? The motor sounds ok and everything, it just doesnt have the power it had before. Basically what will i need to do this thing. Any thing i need to check or any tricks i can use here? can i replace the the valves and valve stems in this thing if need be? Have i damaged the cam? I only drove this thing a mile maybe tops but i can tell the difference now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:08 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
First thing I'd do is a plug read.

If you had them bad enough out of whack last time, you may have fouled them.

Then I'd do another adjustment-- sometimes once you're done the seem to settle in out of spec.

I wouldn't worry too much till I'd done both of those things.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:19 pm 

I readjusted again this morning. Motor sounds good, still no power. I have checked the plugs and they might be alittle rich, BUT i have only put about 5 miles on it since i cleaned them, and this adjustment. How long should i run it before i try to read them? Next question i have is this. I have talked to my brother he said the original owner may have recently adjusted the airmix screw to tune it up. If thats the case after adjusting these valves with the airmix screw messed with would that cause what im having. Very nervous about doing ANYTHING right now. Im waiting for a call from the owner to confirm this, but he is on the appalachian trail at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:16 pm 

Ohhhh also can sea foam cause this loss in power? The sea foam was put in the same day the original adjustment was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

State/Province: MN
City: Fergus Falls
Strickland-
I updated my post to reflect the requirement to do this on a cold engine.

The seafoam likely wouldn't cause the problems you describe, unless it unlodged some crud in the tank or carb and partially plugged a jet.

The air screw mis-adjustment might be the more likely cause.

Tom O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:01 pm 

I just got off the phone with the previous owner and he said he never made any adjustments. I went ahead and rode this thin about 50 miles and checked the plugs. They are tan. It never broke 65 on this trip but it sounds fine. Just runs out of power. Very very very minor ticking, much less than before so i really think i have the valves right. Any clues on what im going to have to do to fix this? Would it just be the valves and valve guides that are messed up? Or could this have messed the cam up as well? Sorry to keep bothering you fellas about it but i really need to have this bike on the road. I run on a bad highway and while i can make 65 "cut it" I dont consider it safe with the folks around me running 70 and 75. Any ideas are welcome. Also is it safe to run this thing if it does have that kinda of damage. I talked to a (car) mechanic friend and this is what he told me. He said that chances are i didnt do any damage. He said that when he adjusted valves on a "car" there was normally another break in period, where the car might loose just alittle power untill the rockers reseated themselves. He did also say he wasnt a flippin motor doohicky mechanic either so to take what he said with a grain of salt. Am i worring myself to death here for nothing or is he crazy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:40 am 
Forum Administrator

He's not crazy, but that's usually not the case with high-reving engines, simply because the valves will cycle many more times in the same running period.

It's very late, and I'm not thinking straight, but I will try to mull it over a bit tomorrow if I find a minute.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:27 pm 

OK this is just plain weird. I rode the bike this morning, and it was pretty cold out. cold enuff for frost. I drafted a pickup truck for 45 miles to get to work on time. Top i hit was maybe 70... once. He would pull away alittle, id tuck, draft back up and continue on. I think he knew what i was doing because he pretty much lost me one time and came back and picked me back up. Cool dude. Now this if the freaking weird part. I hopped on the bike this afternoon dreading the ride in traffic home, i fired it up and took off. The entry ramp to the highway is downhill and curves to the right from an overpass. This ramp entry merges traffic on the LEFT side of the road, into "the fast Lane". Needless to say i was nervous attempting this but i went for it. Down the hill i went kick this rebel with the gas. The speedo was pegged! it twisted pass 75 pretty quick and winding out with the speedo just above 85. The only difference from this morning and this afternoon was about 30 degrees. Mid 50's this morning, 89 this afternoon. When this dawned on me i then realized that it was at least that cold here when i was trying to run the bike before and getting such crappy speeds. When it was cold out you twist the gas and it kinda trys to do something but then bogs down. Really only noticed that when you were in top gear trying for more speed. This afternoon however while it did give the same "bogging" sound some but it was a lighter pitch than this morning and it definatley had more power.

I guess the question is does everybodys rebel do that in cold weather? Or do i have a problem somewhere. Seems that my problems might not be valve related?

Anyways warmer mornings are comming up so at least it seems ill be able to get to work with no probs, lol it seems.

Any input on what is up with this is highly valued. Thanks fellas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Some bikes are carbed very cold-blooded. Here's something to try: Next time you're out and its doing the sluggish thing, apply your choke a bit (and then a bit more) and see if it zips up for you. If so, your bike is just running really lean, and cold weather makes that worse. If you can get to your mixture screw, try turning it out (counterclockwise) about a half to full turn, and see if that solves your problem. 8)

...and I would be remiss if I failed to say DON'T EVER DRAFT ANOTHER VEHICLE. :shock:

brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:14 pm 
Forum Administrator

Like he said:

Sounds like your mixture is off.

The only other possibility would be super-cooling the carb, and that's just not gonna happen with the 'right behind the engine' set up ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:23 pm 

Man thanks so much fellas. Between the the valve adjustment and this weird carb issue i was about to pull my hair out.

I am looking fo a PIC of the air mix screw. I have no idea where on the carp that screw is . I dont have a manual yet, ive got one ordered off of ebay currently. If someone would be kind, and send me a picture of it or possibly a forum link to it. I havent stopped searching yet, but at this point i would feel much safer if someone had a a pic and said "Here you go moron thats what it looks like" lol. Trust me at this point i have no ego and you will do NO damage, lol. Man thanks again fellas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:47 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
It's the one with the tab. Sounds like you need to adjust it counterclockwise (as when looking up at the screw) to richen it a tad. Number 5 in the diagram:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:14 am 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Some bikes are carbed very cold-blooded. Here's something to try: Next time you're out and its doing the sluggish thing, apply your choke a bit (and then a bit more) and see if it zips up for you. If so, your bike is just running really lean, and cold weather makes that worse. If you can get to your mixture screw, try turning it out (counterclockwise) about a half to full turn, and see if that solves your problem. 8)

...and I would be remiss if I failed to say DON'T EVER DRAFT ANOTHER VEHICLE. :shock:

brent
but but but.............i used to do it at 200 mph at tona in a stock car why not 65 on the highway :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:21 am 

Mr sonder thanks bro, that did it. Its about 50 out right now so i went for a ride. Same deal with the bogging down. I started with a quarter turn (not wanting to over do anything this time hehe) and ended up with 3/4 of a turn out to get it running good. I hit 75 with no issues tonight and im so relieved you guys hung with me thru this and didnt kick me out of the forum lol. We will see tommorrow during the heat if i need to back that down alittle but man it hummed tonight. If i have to make a quarter adjustment or so to ride this thing in the hot and cold so be it. Very small price to pay. Living basically in the desert we have wildly changing temps from night to day sometimes, so im just wondering if any of you guys have had to deal with that before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:45 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
[quote="Strickland]but but but.............I used to do it at 200 mph at tona in a stock car why not 65 on the highway :)[/quote]

Because at Daytona, everyone is going in the same direction, you've got a ton of steel around you, there are no sidestreets or potholes or cattle or deer or cellphone yappers or... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, one of the most serious dangers of slipstreaming or just plain tailgating on a bike is that you don't have a chance to react and avoid the weird stuff that emerges from under the car's chassis. Like road kill, potholes, fenders, boards with nails, stuff like that. He straddles them; you hit them. :shock:

brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:24 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Santa Rosa
I'm due to adjust the valves, after I get the forks realigned..., in reading Tom's directions on how to adjust the valves, I noticed that no mention was made of replacing the gasket, I'm assuming there is one on the valve cover ...

So the question is ... Do I need to replace the valve cover gasket after adjusting the valves?

Thanks
Rat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:34 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Not unless you tear it. Unless things are strange, you shouldn't have a problem. I hardly noticed the gasket the first time I did the valves. It stayed put on top of the cylinder head (didn't come off with the valve cover). I just checked that it hadn't been disturbed before returning the valve cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

State/Province: MN
City: Fergus Falls
The gasket is a big rubber o-ring, as I recall. As jsonder says, unless you beat it up it should just cinch back down.

Tom O.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next