It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How do I make my Rebel sound loud and vicious?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:34 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
This is it, folks---

This is the definitive answer to the third-most commonly asked question in the history of the Honda Rebel!

So many people have flooded us with both this question, and others like it, such as "will brand X super pipes make my bike sound like an octane-devouring demon from Hell?" and "I really like my Rebel, but how do I make it sound nice and loud? I want it to be deep and throaty like some Revtech or S&S over-bored behemoth!"

Okay, here it is, folks:

Buy a Revtech or S&S motor, cram it into your Rebel, and put on the neighbor-neglecting pipes of your dreams. It's really that simple.

Okay, you think I am being funny with you. So let's go over a few simple facts:
An American (and some pretty good imported imposters) have a very distinct lumpy, irregular idle. This is because of the way the engine is designed-- it is the way that the pistons move and the timing of ignition is handled.
Your Rebel is a parellel twin, and simply does not work the same way. period.

Fine. I'll have to settle for a nice, smooth, precision idle like some exotic high-tech race engineered performance machine. I guess I can manage, somehow. But how do I make it deep and throaty?

Nobody knows. Frankly, the general concensus is that it can't be done. But wierdly enough, some folks manage to do it anyway. One of life's mysteries.

The timbre of an exhaust note is greatly (but NOT _exclusively_) determined by the size of the explosion that births it, which is pretty much determined by the bore and stroke of the motor that contains it. In the case of the Honda Rebel, you are talking about some pretty small numbers. I mean, it's got a displacement of roughly 232ccs! Figure Roughly 61 cubic inches to a liter (1000 ccs). Doing the math shows that your displacement in 'Murican numbers is around fourteen cubic inches, or say one fourth that of the smallest HD Evo engine (the 883cc Sportster engine). Even then, the HDs, being V2 engines, have a long, long stroke and pretty hot compression. They are going to get a big loud boom. A Rebel just doesn't move as much air.

There are a lot of things that can be done to make them louder than they are, but frankly, getting that deep rumbly sound is going to take a lot of money and/or work..

Okay; all right. So how do I make it loud?

Well, there are all kinds of options here. Go with straight pipes, go with echo chambers, just cut your mufflers off. Whatever.

But face one simple fact:
If you want it to sound like some other kind of bike, buy that other kind of bike and be done with it.

All that said, let's head to the cut an paste fiesta!

As always, credit is rarely given (slows down the process, and really, it only matters when the info is bad, right?) except for exceptional or truly original ideas. Oh, yeah-- and before anyone gets upset that I didn't use _all of a given post, remember that I am on volunteer time, here; I tried to keep it simple. Oh, yeah--- anyone with complaints that I repeated or double-posted something here is more than welcome to do all this himself.

So off we go:

The Mac exhaust I bought brings both pipes down the right side and sounds alot more clunky, yet holds a fine rich tone once you're moving.

Q:I just bought a brand new Rebel. I absolutely love it and understand that it is only a 250cc. However, I would like to make it louder and was wondering if there is anything I can do to the factory pipes without destroying their look in order to give it a little more roar.

A: You can drill them or core them.

I have to recommend that the hacksaw method is used. That's how I did my first set.

jardine and mac both make a system

Mac exhaust makes a two into two system that bring both the pipes down the right side.. Staggerd Duals. I put them on last night.

They are louder pipes, and have a thumpier tone.
the nice twin curchunk sound.

(forget loud pipes on a rebel - not practical IMHO - and less ticket prone

if you want to sound like a Harley buy a Harley, a Rebel is just going to sound like a Rebel you can make it louder but it still sounds like a Rebel or a loud chainsaw

and once drilled there is no going back
i drilled one 3/8" hole through both baffles abd a 1 1/4" hole in the airbox to open up my airflow for the K&N filter - and have not noticed a noticable sound increase - nor was sound the purpose of my modest drilling ... be aware sound does NOT equal performance - they may be side effects of one from the other but they are NOT the same thing ... in fact over drilling for sound can in some cases decrease performance
the baffles are the cross plates inside that stop the noise from flowing straight out (baffles the path) they are the heart of the muffler ....

Head to your local Home Depot or other hardware store and pick up a 12" long 3/8" drill bit. Run it up through the pipes/into the baffles, you may have to drill more than one hole. Start it up each time and see how you like it, drill additional holes until you get something that turns you on.

get Drag pipes off of a Honda 750 SOHC. 2 of the 4 pipes will fit

some drill out the baffles - some chop and add straight pipes -

just recently cut the mufflers off, leaving the opening cone section of the tapered muffler body. So the unbaffled sound is now amplified from the resulting megaphone shape. It's loud. It's wicked. It sounds like dueling chainsaws.

Option 1> 3/8" drill bit run through the center of the baffle plates, there are two baffles on these mufflers, one right insode the outlet and another approximately 3" deeper behind it. Start with the rear baffle only, see how you like the sound, if more is desired use a longer bit (like a 12" long bit) to drill through the inner baffle. If this still isn't enough, drill the holes out larger.
Option 2> If option 1 still doesn't satisfy your need for volume, a 1" hole saw removes the entire baffle plate and you get the maximum volume possible. Really obnoxious and annoying, a little on the high pitched side too

I thought I would try cutting off the mufflers and attaching slip on mufflers. I bought a set of generic slash cut mufflers on Ebay. The ID of the mufflers was 1 1/2". Our rebel pipes are 1 3/8" OD.The mufflers I bought have removeable baffles, which I quickly removed

Ive drilled four holes in each pipe of my 450 at 12,3,6 and 9. They are 3/16" each.

I have a 1986 Rebel 250. When my exhaust system needed to be replaced, I bought a set of Macs from Jack's Cycle and Salvage. Now it not only looks like a Harley, it sounds like one, too

EXHAUST ADD-ON: RICHARD FROM EL PASO,TX. FOR $ 16.00 DOLLARS YOU CAN MAKE YOU REBEL250 LOOK BIGGER,LONGER ,AND ADD A BETTER EXHAUST TONE. GO TO ANY AUTO STORE AND BUY CHROME EXHAUST EXTENSION (SLASH-CUT STYLE) PIPES THAT WILL FIT ON A 2 1/2"DIA.EXHAUST PIPE. TAKE THE SLASH-CUT END,AND SLIDE IT OVER THE TALE END OF YOUR EXHAUST PIPE WITH THE LONGEST LENGTH OF THE EXTENSION PIPE AT HIGH NOON.

[Forgive the shouting. * Duke]

While the pipes were still stock, I drilled several holes in the rear baffles, but didn't like the sound at all. Drilled 'em a bit larger & it only worsened. By just drilling the holes in the pipes, I'd say it definitely had that "lawn-mower" sound & I remember wishing I'd left 'em stock for the time being.

Since then, have cut the mufflers off at the header pipe/muffler weld & the baffles were gone with that cut, exposing triple-walled pipes. The sound was MUCH better, but I failed to bracket the pipes & ended up snapping some exhaust flange bolts due to the weight pulling down on the header pipes at the exhaust ports.

Next step was to cut the pipes again where they just start to straighten out. That exposed double-walled pipe. Put some EMGO 12" Shorties on there & am happy with the sound now. Deeper, mellower, fuller, louder

I took my saw zaw and cut the pipes into at center of the fatty part. I now have a bike that is loud

Let me tell you, that Cherry Bomb thing used to be THE thing around here, back in the 80s. There is a trick to making them look good, though.

Get a chrome truck stack (truck stop, truck shop, or parts or muffler shop that handles big trucks) and cut it to slip over your Cherry Bomb.

If you want them loud but want them to sound good then an entire new exhaust must be fitted. It is possible to remove the stock mufflers and use a large diameter removable core clamp-on muffler to get a decent result. You should look for ones that will give you near the stock length. You can then adjust the sound by adding /removing packing and/or modifying the baffle itself.

I bought a staggered dual exaust at Jack's (www.rebelcatalog.com)
Big sound change compared to the original

There are no loud off the shelf pipes for the Rebel, they will rumble a bit more than stock

[more will be added as it is made available]

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:54 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Plano (dallas)
*bump*

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:55 am 

Motorcycle: 2009 HD Iron 883
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
I just found this post doing a search. Thanks for all the advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:19 pm 

:shrug: ... sticking a playing card in the spokes works .. :bikerthumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:01 pm 

State/Province: OH
City: Northeast
Record the sound of a souped up, straight pipes Harley and then play it back real loud while riding the Rebel. Much less work and cheaper too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:37 pm 

State/Province: PA
City: Penn Hills
it'd seem more vicious if you were the one making loud noises. Speeding down the road screaming berzerk.

Beware! There are Youths amoungst us, Rigid with Resolution, Conviction, and Ideas! They are Fugitives to be Feared more greatly than Freedom, the Cold, our Enemies, or Passion that might interrupt our Banal, Predetermined existence!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:35 pm 

Post subject: How do I make my Rebel sound loud and vicious?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:50 pm 

City: Franklin
Chain a rabid Rottweiller to the handlebars ??

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:18 pm 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
I can hear the Rebel over the KZ until it comes up on the pipes.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:51 pm 

State/Province: OK
City: Tulsa
So what are the first two most commonly asked questions, if this is third?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:43 pm 
Forum Administrator

2) How fast will it go / what performance mods are there

1) what's the best oil

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:42 pm 

State/Province: MN
City: Twin Cities
So how fast will it go, what performance mods are there, and what is the best motor oil to use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:53 pm 
Forum Administrator

1) fast enough to kill everyone you love

2) none-- it's deadly fast already

3) oil

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:16 pm 

State/Province: SC
City: Taylors
the who is teaching me how toride drove the bike back to my house from the shop.

The first thing he said when we arrived was "if you remove the baffels it will give you more horse power"

I couldn't understand why anyone would want to make such a small displacement engine, designed for crusing, commuting and most of all economy more powerful. It its what it is.

It is my experience with small engines that you want a certian amount of back pressure because in most cases you will lose torque if you go drilling out baffels, cutting mufflers and installing streight pipes.

While you may be picking up a few hp at your peak hp range it really hurts you in low-mid range where you need it mst on the street.

www.postgamepub.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:33 pm 
Forum Administrator

You will, at best pick up _one_ horsepower. With extensive intake modifications to make it worthwhile, you might gain a total of ten percent, or one-point-seven horsepower.

Ask your teacher if he thinks you'll notice the difference ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:53 pm 

i don't think he even knew what a honda rebel was until he picked up the bike for me. He's into the old KZ's (spelling) Come to think of it I have not seen any in this area. I found out about them from Hondas website

I'll tell him I have a set of forged pistons, rods and twin webber carbs on order and I will be boosting her next week.

www.postgamepub.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:36 am 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
Just pick up some Wiseco piston and Mikuni Carb stickers, you will have just about the same performance gain without all that greasy work kind of stuff.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:54 am 

haha...I don't intend on doing anything to this bike other than drive it and maintain it.

I have found that anytime you tripple the stock horse power of any vehicle it kind of takes away from the driveability and economy that it was orginally puchased for.

the last car i purchased as a commuter now spends 99% of her time in my garage only going out on vacations and warm days (can't be too hot either)

www.postgamepub.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:25 am 

tripple ?

is that like having a tipple of booze on bike trips ? ? ?

yeah - i can see how that would ... "kind of take away from the driveability" ... factor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:49 pm 
Forum Administrator

No.

It's a typo,

or a mispelling.

t
e
h

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian