It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: First gear twitchy - Just me?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 pm 

Motorcycle: 2005 Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
Hey all, first post here. Though I've been reading quite a bit lately.

I just picked up a 2005 Rebel with 870 miles on it. :cycle: Previous owner stated that he fully serviced her before the winter. She seems to run smooth but I have a few questions. I have a grand total of about 12 hours in the saddle, 10 of which where the MSF Basic Course. I was on a Suzuki 125cc during the course, so even the Rebel is a step up in power for me.

1) First gear seems REALLY twitchy, I haven't found a way to ease on to the throttle without being jolted back in the seat. Is this just me being a newbie rider, or could something possibly need adjustment?

2) Do these babies scream real loud? I feel like if I get to the top of the suggested range for a gear, the bike sounds like it revving insanely high.

3) My front brake squeaks. How can I remedy this?

Again, I'm new to motorcycle riding. I searched around for answers here, but couldn't satisfy myself with what I found. I truly appreciate any guidance on these questions.

-Mike

*edit was to add the third question

Post subject: Re: First gear twitchy - Just me?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
magine48 wrote:
Hey all, first post here. Though I've been reading quite a bit lately.

I just picked up a 2005 Rebel with 870 miles on it. :cycle: Previous owner stated that he fully serviced her before the winter. She seems to run smooth but I have a few questions. I have a grand total of about 12 hours in the saddle, 10 of which where the MSF Basic Course. I was on a Suzuki 125cc during the course, so even the Rebel is a step up in power for me.

1) First gear seems REALLY twitchy, I haven't found a way to ease on to the throttle without being jolted back in the seat. Is this just me being a newbie rider, or could something possibly need adjustment?

2) Do these babies scream real loud? I feel like if I get to the top of the suggested range for a gear, the bike sounds like it revving insanely high.

3) My front brake squeaks. How can I remedy this?

Again, I'm new to motorcycle riding. I searched around for answers here, but couldn't satisfy myself with what I found. I truly appreciate any guidance on these questions.

-Mike

*edit was to add the third question

First gear is not "twitchy" The issue is your clutch work. Don't be in a big hurry to fully release the clutch lever as you start off. open your hand gradually and hold onto the clutch lever so the clutch continues to slip for the first bike length or so of travel.
Whenever you feel a lurch in the movement of the bike, that's a clue that you are being rough with the clutch and releasing it too quickly.

For question 2, the solution is not to rev it out to the top of the range for each gear. Those are MAXIMUMS not requirements.
You can shift any time you feel comfortable.

Try cleaning your disk with a brake cleaner to minimize noise. If that fails you might have to deglaze the pads with a light sanding, and apply a dab of silicon brake grease on the back side of the pads where they touch the mount pins and the pistons. Use only a tiny amount of grease, you don't want to get any on the disk or friction material. While you're at it, make sure the caliper is free to slide on its mounting pins and apply a little brake grease on the mount pins as well.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:49 pm 

Thank you so much for the quick reply, I will take those recommendations in to account. I hope to have some time to ride this weekend and will report back with any further questions/comments.

Thanks again! Makes me wish I knew someone local to ride with and continue learning from.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:48 pm 

Managed to get about 30 minutes in tonight before it went pitch black. I consciously managed my clutch control and found first gear to be much more forgiving. Thanks again for the tip. Hopefully it'll become second nature soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

You're most welcome.. Pretty soon you'll be riding as smooth as glass. :D

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:36 pm 

Motorcycle: 1999 Rebel CMX
State/Province: FL
City: Summerfield
Greetings magine48,

Just some information about the Speedometer Red Tick Mark for a Rebel 250, with the Stock 14/33t Sprocket Set.

Speedometer Red Tick Mark
---
1st__20 mph____6,880 rpms
2nd__40 mph____8,480 rpms
3rd__55 mph____8,745 rpms
4th__70 mph____9,030 rpms
5th__82 mph____8,938 rpms

Your rpms will vary, according to the error in the Rebels Speedometer.

1999 Honda Rebel VQR234se
. . . . . 43,000+ Miles . . . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:30 am 

Thank you for that information!

Another question: When riding in first gear, should I be using the clutch any time I let off the throttle? I find that even a small release of throttle triggers some intense engine braking. Can/Should I be alleviating this by using light/moderate pulls of the clutch?

I apologize for the real basic questions, I just dont have any friends that ride. That makes you guys my only motorcycle friends! :hug1:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:51 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
If you are uncomfortable with the engine braking, feather the clutch a little. I assume (oops, that usually leads to problems) that you are talking about doing low speed turns, stop and start with the stop being the problem, etc., all on pavement.

Should you be on dirt or gravel, I tend to not use the clutch until nearly stopped. It's the difference in traction of the road surfaces. But, I like riding dirt bikes, so my response may be a bit more aggressive than is comfortable for you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you are uncomfortable with the amount of engine braking you are getting , why not keep the throttle open a bit to get the kind of deceleration you are looking for. The throttle is not an on off switch. and just as you can accelerate at variable rates, you can slow down the same way.
Once the bike is well underway, the clutch should be fully engaged at all times except when shifting or when using the friction point to go very slowly. There is a lot of potential to get into trouble from locked wheels or being in too high a gear to accelerate once you pull the clutch and coast while travelling at speed.

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:04 pm 

State/Province: OH
City: Creston
Chain tension will also make the bike "twitchy", if it has a lot of slack it will definitely give you a herky, jerky ride.

'07 Rebel 250
'00 Rebel 250
'86 Rebel 450