It is currently Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rebel Left Standing/Unused - Some Advise
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:46 am 

Motorcycle: Rebel CMX250
Rebel: 250
I have a 1999 Rebel CMX250 which I have owned and enjoyed for the last 3 years, however, I recently moved and have not been able to find time to ride my bike as often as I would like and as a result it has been standing for the last 6 months. I went to start the bike last week, but the battery was flat, so put it on charge. After an overnight charge the bike cranked over, sounded good and fired up - but the engine was misfiring and would not rev, then cut out. (it was running perfectly before I stopped riding it 6 months ago).

My research led me to believe the carb must be gunked up with old gas, seemed logical so I stripped the carb. Put it back together and same problem remained, misfiring, not revving properly etc. Figured it must be the mixture screw as I had inadvertently taken this out without counting the turns on the screw, so mixture must be wrong. Messed with the mixture adjustment for some time, then as this was not improving things, decided to strip the carb off again as I thought maybe I missed something and one of the jets was still blocked. Another can of carb cleaner, put everything back together and guess what - still not running right.

I must have removed and replaced the carb 4 or 5 times, thinking I must have either not cleaned it properly or had done something wrong while rebuilding it.

3 or 4 days in and I now get to think there must be another fault, the carb had to be clean and back to original condition, so more research and now I am thinking that the fault must be electronics or maybe the battery as it was discharging quite quickly after cranking a few times. I connected the bike by jump leads to my jeep, it cranked furiously and fired (sometimes) but weak spark and still not running as it should. I had in my mind eliminated the battery (as an immediate purchase) as it was getting 12V from my car battery. More research and now I think it must be the CDI or connections to it, possibly even the coils (both coils???) Messing about with my multimeter trying to check voltage through the HT leads as spark was intermittent and weak, removed spark plug caps, checked connections - but still no clear fault found, multimeter readings were all over the place and quite low voltage.

Almost at the point of giving up and looking for an expert to assist me, I decided that as I was going into town I would pick up the new battery so at least I could work on it away from my jeep and the jump leads.

Fitted the new battery and brrrroooommmm, she fired up immediately and was running like a dream!!!

I believe my initial problem was not a dirty carb at all, it was simply the battery was not producing enough current to send enough juice to the spark plugs, hence the intermittent firing and lack of spark. I still can't work out why the car battery jump did not fix my problem, perhaps an electrician can tell me. My thought is that my old battery was so bad and even with the good battery connected, it was causing a voltage drop to the CDI and not allowing enough current through.

Having spent so many hours on this problem, both mechanically and searching the internet for answers, I wanted to post my experience with the hope that it may help somebody else in the future - make sure your battery is good, it may save you a lot of heartache!!!!

Post subject: Re: Rebel Left Standing/Unused - Some Advise
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:36 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Thank you for this post!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:27 pm 

Motorcycle: 2007 CMX250
State/Province: CA
City: Orange County
I can't answer your question but I would like to share my experience with battery for 2007 250.

I left the bike on over 3 day weekend. The battery was at 8v. I push start the bike and ran it 30 mins. The battery is still 8v completely dead. I figured that this kind of battery could be over taxing charging system (I have no basis to make this judgment). So I took the battery out, push start the bike and rode for couple of days and finally went to store and bought a new battery.

Point of this story is that my Rebel had no issues running other than at full stop at which the lights, especially turn signals, affected the revs slightly.

I hope you'll find your answer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:51 pm 

Motorcycle: 2007 CMX250
State/Province: CA
City: Orange County
Toonuff wrote:
I wanted to post my experience with the hope that it may help somebody else in the future - make sure your battery is good, it may save you a lot of heartache!!!!

I re-read your post and realized that you weren't looking for answer. Thanks for your post about culpability of battery. :kickme1: