It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: how much life is in a 1986 250?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:59 pm 

Rebel: None
State/Province: sc
City: modoc
Hi all, I stumbled across this web site looking for a honda 250 rebel. I found one for $850 it has 12600 miles on it. My question is how many miles can I expect to get out of it provided it is in good shape and what kind of things do I need to look for when buying used and on a budget.

Post subject: Re: how much life is in a 1986 250?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
Rebel: 250
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
It depends on care. If those 12600 miles saw regular care, its got lots of life in it. If it was abused, not so much.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:43 pm 

Thank you Brickguy! Will you let me know some things I need to look for to show signs of abuse other than rust and other obvious signs on the body?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:23 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
Rebel: 250
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
All of them, outside of Arizona, get some rust.
Neglect is the number one killer of all things Rebel. Look at the brake fluid through the sight glass. If it is clear to a slight amber tint, its been kept up with. If it is the color of Coca Cola, its never been changed. Its not the end all, be all of things but I've found that people who change the brake fluid regularly are more on top of things.

Another is oil changes. You can't verify oil changes readily. You have to ask the seller. I judge on the response I get. If the response is along the lines "It hasn't gone the four thousand miles in the four years I've had it" they haven't been regular with the oil. If its the original owner and its something similar like, "I change change it when its gets the miles" again, not the best response.
I want to hear "I change it at 1500 miles and in the winter before storage regardless of miles" The oil should be relatively clean.
Look at the chain. Clean and lubed or rusty. Tires, checked and cracked or smooth and supple. Worn out and supple is OK, just know that you'll need tires. Cracked and checked with a lot of tread shows me the owner didn't take care of things.
Is the air filter clean or crumbling to dust. Its inexpensive to replace the washable foam on a first generation Rebel. Not doing it shows a lack of understanding. Of course, to inspect the filter you will have to open up the air box.
Is the exhaust original or hacked up. I don't buy cut exhausts. Do the lights work. Was the engine painted. Some do it for looks but it also hides a multitude or sins. Did the owner know to drain the carb for storage? Most don't seem to. You would think that Rebels have a clog prone carburetor with all the used ones that need cleaning. Truth is the carb can go forever with a little care.
I have had mine since new, never needed to clean the carb just drained it when it was going to sit.
There are a lot of little things.

A little wear with use is normal. Worn brakes or tires are use and in a used bike I'd expect to replace those things.
Gross neglect is another issue.

Now, this is my opinion and how I view things.
Others have different views.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
I'd say Marty gave you some good insights there. Here's a fairly general (in application) but comprehensive used bike evaluation guide that I use a lot:
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:14 am 

Thanks you guys, thats a great list of things I can use to check it out!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:58 am 

I bought mine beat up and neglected, and did an amateur restore job on it, but plan to make it last another 100 years.

And why not? If a part is too far gone it can't be restored, just replace it. Replace as they go out, and eventually you'll have a whole new bike, on a pay as you go plan. Some parts wear out faster than others. Tires, brake pads, chain, sprokets, brake lines, valves, pistons, etc. Some parts should last forever without replacing... handlebars, frame, horn, rims, and so on and so on.

All those parts people say that rust.. fenders and inside tire rims... just take them off, hit them with a whizzer wheel, derust via electrolysis, primer, and paint again. Good as new.