It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trouble changing Front Sprocket to 15T - Moving Rear wheel
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:20 pm 

I am having trouble moving the rear wheel forward to install the 15T front sprocket with the chain. I have removed the sprocket cover, and loosened the rear wheel axle nut on both sides of the bike and loosened the chain adjuster nuts and lock nuts on both sides. I can't move the rear wheel forward. I have even tried sitting on the bike and while applying the rear brake, rocking the bike backward to try to loosen the chain more, hoping to move the rear wheel forward with no luck. Can anyone provide help? Thank you very much!!! :cry: Kevin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:25 pm 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
Are you able to use the adjusters to move the wheel rearward?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
You will need to disconnect the brake stabilizer arm, and the brake adjuster nut on the right side.
Then it will move for you.
brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:44 pm 

fastpakr wrote:
Are you able to use the adjusters to move the wheel rearward?

The bike only has 600 miles on it. I bought it used in Sept. (2009 Rebel). I haven't had the need to try adjusting the chain. Nothing is binding and when I loosened all of the bolts and nuts, everything came loose fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:53 pm 

Did you try Brent's advice? My first instinct is that he nailed it - brake adjustment bar and/or the stabilizer arm are still connected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:10 pm 

Thank you Brent & fastpakr. Where are the brake adjustment bar and/or the stabilizer arm? If you are referring to the linkage connected to the rear brake pedal, what would I have to disconnect, just the part connected to the rear wheel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:23 pm 

wheezeburnt wrote:
You will need to disconnect the brake stabilizer arm, and the brake adjuster nut on the right side.
Then it will move for you.
brent

Hi Brent,

I got the brake linkage off and moved the rear wheel forward as much as I can but in order for me to get the new 15T on the drive shaft with the chain on it, I still need to move the 15T sprocket about a quarter inch more. I can't get it on the shaft. Do you know any way to get the new sprocket onto the shaft? Thank you for your help!

Sincerely, Kevin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Kevin

Is your chain master link the permanently riveted type, or the clip type that comes apart. If the clip type I would take the chain apart and put the sprocket on loose.
Then thread the chain around it and make sure the rear wheel is ALL THE WAY forward so the axle is touching the front of the racetrack shaped hole. If the chain will not come together on the rear sprocket with the wheel fully forward then you must either add a link or 2 or get a new chain.
Good luck.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:55 pm 

Duckster wrote:
Kevin

Is your chain master link the permanently riveted type, or the clip type that comes apart. If the clip type I would take the chain apart and put the sprocket on loose.
Then thread the chain around it and make sure the rear wheel is ALL THE WAY forward so the axle is touching the front of the racetrack shaped hole. If the chain will not come together on the rear sprocket with the wheel fully forward then you must either add a link or 2 or get a new chain.
Good luck.

The chain is brand new (I bought the 2009 Rebel used). The bike only has 600 miles on it. The chain is in good shape. I have read numerous posts of different people installing the 15T front sprocket and most say that they have had to tap the sprocket onto the shaft. I can't tap anything, it isn't even lined up. I still need about a 1/4 inch more slack for the sprocket to go on.

How would I know if the chain is master link the permanently riveted type, or the clip type that comes apart. Thank you!

Sincerely, Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:01 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
Rebel: 250
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
If it is the oriinal chain then it is riveted. (At least as far as I know, my experience being with my '87)

'61 Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:50 pm 

OK, I got the sprocket on. Does anyone know if it matters which way the new sprocket goes on? I just installed a 15T PBI sprocket and one side has a raised center and the other side is completely flush. I put it on with the raised center facing out (I still have the bike apart). It seemed to fit either way. Thank you again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:30 pm 

It definitely matters. You'll have to compare it to the orientation of the old sprocket to verify that the teeth are now the same distance outwards from the shaft as they used to be. If you flip it the wrong direction, the chain is deflected to one side, causing significant wear.