It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: when to change gears(mph)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 pm 

i just bought an 85 REBEL(my first bike). And was wondering at what mph do you change from 1 to 2 then 2 to3 ect. while you are just
cruising going thru gears and geting on it going threw gears.In mph please
sorry for such a dumb question but, have to stat somewhere and i just dont want to mess anything up, By the way the bike is in absolute perfect running order, just had everything tuned up. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:46 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Try using the SEARCH function.

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=16395&highlight=shift+points

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:29 am 

The red lines on your speedo show you where you LATEST shift point for each gear should be. Stay within those limits, and the rest just depends on how big a hurry your in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:37 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Shadow ACE (2003)
State/Province: DE
I had asked the same question before (which you'll see when you do your search, like I should have done, haha). 1st Gear might as well be considered playing "hot potatoe." There's not much reason to be in it, and you can shift out of it fairly early and at pretty low speeds.

Don't think about mph. You'll feel when you need to shift. Just remember, it's better to be in a lower gear and rev it higher than a higher gear and rev it lower. Apparently, the reb does wonderfully when it's rev'd high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:51 am 

Because there is no tach or gear indicator, a very good thing to do over time is to develop an ear for your engine.

You may make mistakes while shifting, but the sound of your engine will never lie. If your baby's screamin at you you need to shift up lickity split, and if it's sputtering it's last breath's you need to go down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:59 pm 

thank yall thats what i have been doin with her, and have got it dialed now,but yea shoulda used the search function(my bad haha) ,but i guess i just like hearing my questions awnsered personally i know some of yall now what i mean. thanx again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:06 pm 

just used search feature very helpful, thought they were shift indicators but obviously not. even though i never chaged gears at the marking, allways before. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:51 pm 

Do you live near hills/mountains? I don't, but I imagine that you would need to depend even more on your feel for shifting in that case. MPH "markers" would be basically useless, then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:47 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
City: Green Valley
LaFazinator wrote:
Do you live near hills/mountains? I don't, but I imagine that you would need to depend even more on your feel for shifting in that case. MPH "markers" would be basically useless, then.

I'm confused here. speed ~ engine speed x gearing factor

In the hills you may run up a bit closer to the red line indicators before shifting, but not a whole lot. In 4th gear a standard Rebel is pretty happy from 45 mph to 65 mph. I once got a bit carried away doing that. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 pm 

Sonder, wouldn't you want to be in a lower gear while going up a hill? (I have pretty much ZERO gradient experience...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:19 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
That's what he's saying:

The lower the gear, the higher the engine revs to produce similar speed.

Keeping it in a lower gear keeps it closer to the redline ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 am 

Aaah, gotcha ;0) Makes sense :0)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 pm 

City: Gilbert
So the rebel likes to be reved high? and draw out the gears to the max shift point? I kinda liked shifting early and keeping it low and crusing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
The Rebel doesn't mind revving high, but Its probably more accurate to say it would prefer revving high to lugging it down by putting it under a high load (lots of throttle) at a low RPM.
Having said that, the only time you need to go near redline in the lower gears is if you absolutely must have the maximum acceleration available, which is hardly ever. There's nothing wrong with "short shifting" and accelerating at a moderate pace with moderate throttle and minimum noise, fuel consumption and wear and tear.
Its all about developing a "feel" for the engine, so that you aren't "lugging" it by holding a lot of throttle on it at low RPM. Riders should not spend a lot of time fixating on those little red lines on the speedo when their attention would be better spent watching for road hazards.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:18 pm 

I've got some horses around where I live, and whenever I go by them I tend to go at a crawl in 2nd gear...keeps the bike VERY quiet. I don't know how skiddish they would get, but I figure it's a courtesy to the farmers and herders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:56 pm 

State/Province: AL
City: Arab
Quote:
I've got some horses around where I live, and whenever I go by them I tend to go at a crawl in 2nd gear...keeps the bike VERY quiet. I don't know how skiddish they would get, but I figure it's a courtesy to the farmers and herders.

That's very courteous of you, and not something I had considered. I live on a rural road with a TON of horses and cattle (and there is a riding stable across the road from my farm). I didn't even think about whether the motorcycle will startle them. Now I'll be sure not to go tearing down through there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:14 pm 

I always honk when I pass the horses. I think it's much more courteous than ignoring them.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:56 pm 

Motorcycle: Suzuki C50; BMW G650GS
State/Province: IN
City: Scottsburg
As a horse owner, please dont honk at the horses. It can spook them. Especially if someone is riding; if you are passing a horse and rider, slow down (in either direction). If you are coming up behind them, slow down, wait until the rider knows you are there, the go around them, giving plenty of room. Green (not the color, but experience) horses have a tendency to shy in either direction when startled. If you startle them, the horse could actually shy into you and you do not want an 1100 pound horse stomping on you (dont ask me how I know this).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:03 pm 

Now I need to know how you know that ;0)

And don't honk at them to signal you see them, haha. That'd stink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Yeah, just give them the 'wave'. Then, at the very least, they'll know you're part of the 'brotherhood'. And if they wave back, well, that 's just bonus! :wink: :lol: