It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Gears on a 250
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:31 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Coarsegold
I just got my mom's Rebel 250 running again after years of sitting. I've been riding it but since I don't have a manual I have no idea how many gears it actually has. I've been able to shift into 3rd but if there is a 4th and 5th as I've been reading I'm not sure how on earth to shift into those. I've only ridden dirt bikes in the past and this is my first street bike venture so any help/advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:48 pm 

State/Province: TX
N

In that order on your shifter

To shift to 4th and 5th, you just keep shifting up

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about
-Peter Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:49 pm 

State/Province: NY
City: Bronx
Hi Campngirl,
Congrats on getting the bike up running. I have a 2008 Rebel - it is a 5 speed. You should be able to shift up again into higher gears from 3rd gear assuming there are no other issues. The manual recommends the following shifting points:
at 12 mph - shift into 2nd gear
at 19 mph - shirt into 3rd gear
at 25 mph - shift into 4th gear
at 31 mph - shift into 5th gear

What model year/engine size is your Mom's Rebel ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:02 am 

Rebel: 450
State/Province: AL
City: Magnolia Springs
You start in 1st, four shifts up will put in 5th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:06 am 

unless you don't do a full throw and short shift from 1st and end up counting neutral

nuetral is 1/2 a position BETWEEn 1st and 2nd ... normally you can throw past it to get from 1st to 2nd without noticing it

but if you shift timidly or don't do the full throw - then you can click into nuetral when you don't want to

it's part of the flip side to not being able to find nuetral when you Do want to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:21 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Coarsegold
Thanks everyone for the info.

My bike is a 1987. Engine size...I have no idea isn't the 250 the engine size LOL! Can you tell I'm pretty clueless as to what my bike has, again no manual to refer to. Unfortunately I can't just ask my mom as she passed almost 6 years ago. My license plate says RDN4MOM as a tribute to her. She was never cordinated enough to learn to ride it so I'm doing it for her.

I guess I must be actually getting into 5th and not knowing it because I just rode on the Highway and was up to 60mph. I doubt I could do that if I was only in 3rd without the bike whining like crazy (just like a car would). Next time I take it out I'll pay closer attention to what I'm feeling when I shift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:07 pm 

Motorcycle: Suzuki V-Strom DL650K9
Rebel: None
State/Province: KY
City: Louisville
Actually I believe the engine size is 234cc but it is considered 250cc "class".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:37 pm 

as an '87 ... it could be a 450 too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:33 pm 

I feel better reading your post (even if it is two months later). I can't "find" 5th on mine.
@BronxRebel...I'm a bit puzzled at the recommended shifting points. On my 86 (250cc), the red line markers are very different. When on the bike it's more like 10mph-shift to 2nd, 30-shift to 3rd, 40 shift to 4th, and well, like I said, I can't find 5th. Maybe I'm skipping 4th w/o realizing?
ampngirl...has it gotten any better since your original post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:25 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
gesticulator wrote:
.I'm a bit puzzled at the recommended shifting points. On my 86 (250cc), the red line markers are very different.

The shift points listed in that post are actually the "break in" points during the first thousand miles or so on the engine.

The redline marks on your bike are not shifting points. Those are the actual _red_ _lines_ for each gear. Notice you don't have a tachometer? :lol: They don't mean "shift here." They mean "shift by the time you get here if you don't enjoy shrapnel wounds or large-scale mechanical projects."

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:57 pm 

State/Province: NY
City: Freeport
gesticulator wrote:
I feel better reading your post (even if it is two months later). I can't "find" 5th on mine.
@BronxRebel...I'm a bit puzzled at the recommended shifting points. On my 86 (250cc), the red line markers are very different. When on the bike it's more like 10mph-shift to 2nd, 30-shift to 3rd, 40 shift to 4th, and well, like I said, I can't find 5th. Maybe I'm skipping 4th w/o realizing?
ampngirl...has it gotten any better since your original post?

Better make that a year and two months later!! And welcome to the forum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:00 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Shadow ACE (2003)
State/Province: DE
I've not gotten much more than one nice afternoon riding up and down a street to get shifting done (bike's not with me...yet). I had the same problem. I didn't know if I had gotten it into 5th yet! I brought it up to 50 and kept trying to upshift from what I thought was 4th, but didn't notice ANY difference. It's an '85, but I figure it should be easier to reach 55...that customary "kick-in" that I feel going from 2nd to 3rd to "4th" just didn't exist. I'll have to get back on again soon (my friend who has it right now I only get to see every couple weeks...and the weather's not cooperating for a new rider, haha) and see if I can pay closer attention to my shifting habits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:16 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
Yeah, those have to be the break in shift points, and that is no way to break in an engine anyway. You would never seat the rings that way. I never run my Rebel below 45 in 5th gear. If you slow down to 45, it's time to downshift into 4th. IMO, riding below 45 in 5th is lugging the engine. People just don't seem to understand the Rebel is not a Harley, even though it resembles one. It has a very small engine that loves to rev, and NEEDS to rev. Jerry.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:42 pm 

Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Rebel
State/Province: FL
BronxRebel wrote:
Hi Campngirl,
Congrats on getting the bike up running. I have a 2008 Rebel - it is a 5 speed. You should be able to shift up again into higher gears from 3rd gear assuming there are no other issues. The manual recommends the following shifting points:
at 12 mph - shift into 2nd gear
at 19 mph - shirt into 3rd gear
at 25 mph - shift into 4th gear
at 31 mph - shift into 5th gear

What model year/engine size is your Mom's Rebel ?

I'm a brand new Rebel owner and a new motorcycle rider :hithere1:

I've been having some real issues adjusting to shifting the gears. To make matters worse I never learned to ride a manual vehicle and have only driven automatic ones.

Is this break down accurate?

Also I'm having trouble finding 5th gear... took my bike out this afternoon and could not get it above 40mph

Post subject: Re: Gears on a 250
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:39 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
City: Green Valley
Those are maximum economy shift points; use on flat with a tail wind or going down hill.

Most riders rev it to ~75% of the red line speed (red ticks on speedometer; the ticks are for the first four gears and their maximum speeds) in each gear before shifting to a higher gear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:53 pm 

jsonder wrote:
Those are maximum economy shift points; use on flat with a tail wind or going down hill.

Most riders rev it to ~75% of the red line speed (red ticks on speedometer; the ticks are for the first four gears and their maximum speeds) in each gear before shifting to a higher gear.

I tried to shift the bike according to the red line ticks and where it says 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the speedometer and can't seem to get it down. The bike rides very rough and for whatever reason the shifting points are off.

On my Rebel I shift into 2nd at 5mph because the engine sounds like its gonna blow... then I shift into 2nd at 15 or so, then 3rd at 20, then 4th at 25-30mph... and then I can't find the 5th gear. Since I can't find the 5th gear I have not been able to take my Rebel out on a main road because I would get run down.

I'm going by how the engine sounds now because the ticks on the speedometer are waaaaay off and are unrealistic.

It frustrating :gaah:

Any advice...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:21 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
City: Green Valley
When you say that the shifting point and the ticks are "off" does that mean that you cannot rev the engine close to that speed in that gear?

A quick look at my wife's Rebel suggests that I used to shift my 2001 Rebel at 15, 30, 45, and 60 miles per hour. That is in accelerating mode. If cruising along at 50-55 I would normally be in 5th but would downshift to accelerate. It is a small engine that needs to rev to make it's horsepower.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
What John said.
If you are unfamiliar with the parallel twin engines, and are used to riding, or at least hearing the standard V twin engines of cruisers (like harleys and such), you'll expect to be shifting at around 3000 to 4000 rpms. Same with cars, except they shift at even lower rpms unless you're trying to accelerate vigorously. Yes, those shift points are the maximum speed for that gear, and you should normally shift somewhat lower than the top of the red line, but try for at least 3/4 of the max speed, and don't worry about the engine. It will be fine. I don't have a 250 model, so I don't know what the redline rpm is on it (and they don't have a tach anyway, so that's not gonna be a real useful figure) but I can say with fair assurance that its somewhere near 8500 to 9000 rpms.
If you were to shift at the same rpms/engine thumps that, say, your neighbour's harley shifts, the rebel is gonna underperform. Some of the bikes I've owned don't even begin to develop hp until around 6000 rpms.
hope this helps
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Don't overthink shift points. it's mostly common sense. If the engine is chugging, rough and not accelerating well when you open the throttle, you need a lower gear and more RPM. If the engine is really screaming, you need a higher gear. If its pulling nicely and not too busy sounding, its in the right gear. If you just want to maintain your cruise speed, and the engine is not chugging or bucking (lugging), use the highest gear you can without lugging.
An experienced rider wouldn't even look at those red hash marks. IMO, you should never be running a Rebel up to redline except in high gear maybe, (its no drag racer, and will respond nicely to short shifting at maybe 3/4 's of redline).
New riders may be intimidated by the Honda's willingness to rev higher than hubby's Harley. It's designed to do that, and MUST rev a lot higher than a Harley to make anywhere near its rated horsepower. Take it out on the highway and run it up to top speed on a level open stretch. Note the busy sound of the engine. You can rev the engine that much in any of the lower gears if you choose to do so, but if you feel the need for that much acceleration you need a bigger bike. :D The Rebel is a CRUISER..

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:07 am 

;)

Thanks for the tips... so basically in a nut shell the Rebel engine is made to rev higher in order to reach higher speeds. I have been afraid to keep revving the engine higher while it makes the screaming nose (similar to a chain saw). This explains my issues with getting this bike figured out. I learned on a Harley Dyna-Glyde and a Harley Fatboy so I'm used to those engines and their shifting styles. I wanted a Rebel, have always liked them, just need to get used to their qwerks now.

Hopefully this will also solve the 5th gear issue as well, because I have yet to find it.

I plan on taking my Rebel out today around lunch once the sun heats up the air a bit more. Even though I'm down here in Florida its freezing for us, 54 degrees is like 10-20 to most of y'all.