It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ignition System Wiring Diagram - Classic Rebel *
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:21 pm 

State/Province: NC
City: Raleigh

This is an isolation wiring diagram for the the Ignition System on the Classic Rebel. From the Official 1985 Honda Shop manual. (Click will enlarge pic).

The Alternator tag (6) actually points to the Exciter coil which is located within the Alternator housing. The Exciter coil is completely separate from the alternator/stator.

This Exciter coil is what provides the power for the CDI box and then output from the CDI feeds the ignition coils. This complete isolation from the battery and charging circuit is what allows you the ability to push start the Rebel with a dead battery.

Note that the classic ignition system has TWO (Bl/Y) wires on the CDI box output side. Each of the Bl/Y wires goes to a different coil, for built in redundancy. On newer Rebels that second wire is omitted and there is only one feed wire that goes to the coils and a jumper wire connecting those two terminals at the coil side. The reason for the change, in this part of the circuit on newer Rebels, is because a kickstand safety interlock was added; and they used up one of the wire terminals on the CDI box for that (meaning the CDI box has a slight change as well).
Ron

Post subject: Ignition System Wiring Diagram
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:41 pm 

hey ron123, do you know if the excitor coil on a 86' 450 rebel works the same way as described for the 85' 250 in this post. I was told that on the 450 i can not change the excitor coil without changing the stator. I am not sure if the fellow i was going to buy one from just wanted me to spend a bit more or not.
(This Exciter coil is what provides the power for the CDI box and then output from the CDI feeds the ignition coils. This complete isolation from the battery and charging circuit is what allows you the ability to push start the Rebel with a dead battery.)

Thanks
paul101

Post subject: Re: Ignition System Wiring Diagram
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:01 am 

City: Raleigh
paul101 wrote:
hey ron123, do you know if the excitor coil on a 86' 450 rebel works the same way as described for the 85' 250 in this post. I was told that on the 450 I can not change the excitor coil without changing the stator. I am not sure if the fellow I was going to buy one from just wanted me to spend a bit more or not.
(This Exciter coil is what provides the power for the CDI box and then output from the CDI feeds the ignition coils. This complete isolation from the battery and charging circuit is what allows you the ability to push start the Rebel with a dead battery.)

Thanks
paul101

Wow -- long overdue for a reply :shock:
Both the alternator stator and ignition excitor coil on the Rebel 250/450 are mounted together as a single assembled unit and hard wired/soldered in to single wire harness bundle that leads out of the engine case. The assembly is replaced as a unit. There are special insulation and coatings which bonds and protects both. With a rotor/magneto spinning a fraction of an inch away, at speeds of up to 8,000 r.p.m., it needs to be one solid unit.

The Rebel self powered simple ignition system is similar to lawn mowers and airplanes ... Rebel is easily push started; much more reliable than a battery/coil system.
Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:52 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Dallas/ft Worth
Has anyone experimented with an adapter that would allow you use the new CDI ignition unit on a classic Rebel 250?

It looks like the only difference in the wires is that clutch switch wire that is not on the classic. The clutch switch wire could either be left open or tied to ground as needed. Then run the two wires to the coil on the classic together and to the single coil wire on the new CDI.

The other wires look like they are the same. It appears that it might work.

I have and 86 250 that looks like the ignition unit is dead. I am trying to find one that works but have considered an adapter as an alternative.

07 Ninja 250 (daughter's)
04 250 Rebel (gas saver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:49 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
A couple of people have made it work, but I don't recall just what they did.

Jack might know; I think they got the units from him.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:47 pm 

State/Province: FL
City: Mt Plymouth/ Penna
give it a go, gary .. see what happens .. i am too close to retiring to keep trying new things with rebels .. i am passing the torch to you ...

jack b.

- capt. phil harris, f/v cornelia marie -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:15 am 

I am rewiring my 450 and it is my first time doing something like this. Does any one have a super simple wiring diagram that they can shoot my way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:59 am 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
Rebel: 250
City: Newport
Just the schematic.

Dan