All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Flasher relay location/removal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:44 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
I've put three new threads in the FAQ the past couple days. Don't take this as a sign-- while I _do_ want to get in here and start (restart) straightening up, I just don't have the time in the foreseeable future.

I actually put all those threads in because I stumbled across them looking for some pre-writes I could just copy to make this very thread you're reading now.

This is actually the thread that I wanted to put in when I started the other day.

Let me explain:

While getting K's bike ready for the King of West Georgia Rally, I had to swap the flasher unit out for an electronic unit. No biggie. But for reasons known only to Mike, I drew a complete mental blank on where it was located! I've done this I-don't-know-how-many times in the past, and suddenly it was gone!

I've never had the opportunity to unpack my Clymers since moving to Vidalia, so straight off I came in and checked the board, figuring someone would have asked this question before.

Sadly, no one had! No matter what Search I tried-- even Google-- I couldn't get the info I needed. I ended up hopping over to Bike Bandit and getting the pictograms.

Anyway, I decided I'd go ahead and put in an FAQ about where it was, and how to get to it.

The low side of the bike (kickstand side) has a sidecover that trims up the air box. Remove that cover.

Take a flash light and really stare hard at the end of the air box behind the frame (the rear-ward side of the box). If you can get your fingers in there (well then you've got smaller fingers than I do!), you can kind of probe around and feel a tang from the side of the air box with a rubber thingy on it.

That rubber thingy holds the flasher unit.

Essentially, the flasher is a small box-like relay. It pressure fits into a rubber retainer and that retainer squeezes onto the mounting tang.

You'll need to press the relay/rubber retainer upwards until it pops off the tang. Then you will have just enough wire to wish you had more wire-- I mean, just enough wire to kind of roll the flasher around and, if you can get fingers from two hands behind there, you can wiggle the wires off one at a time. Let the flasher more or less fall out the bottom of the bike.

Install the new one by doing your best to reverse that process.

When you're tired of failing at that, here's a little something that might help:

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/view ... 901#106901

That thread goes to an FAQ (with pictures) on removing the seat. I've found that it's just easier to get to everything from the top, though you'll need to come in from the side cover to push the thing free of the mounting tang, and will probably have to come in from the side again to push it back onto the mounting tang.

Note the very last picture in the first post of that thread:

In that picture, you can see the rubber snorkel for the airbox. (between the frame rails, behind the yellowed plastic cover. It's the square looking thing.)

Immediately behind that snorkel is a rubber flap; it's actually a part of the snorkel.

If you lift that flap, you will find a half dozen or so wires in a plastic trough molded into the airbox. Two of those wires are the wires for the flasher unit.

You don't need to do any of what I'm about to suggest just to change the flasher; it's just something I have done more than once in case I ever had to change it again.

If you can unhook the wires from the flasher, you can snake them through the trough and all the way over to the high-side of the bike. Remove the high side side cover (the wires for the flasher actually run from here to that idiotic location where you found the flasher) and find a place you can run a zip-tie or rivet a tang of metal or whatever you want to do. At any rate, you can easily relocate the flasher here. That way, any time you need to replace it, you can simply pop off this side cover and have complete access to it.

There.

We now have a "where is the flasher unit" in the FAQ. ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Last edited by Duke on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:34 pm 

Motorcycle: '02 Rebel
State/Province: OK
City: Sterling
Dont worry about forgetting things , Duke. I'm to the point that I wrap my own Christmas gifts and am still surprised at what I got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:50 am 

Motorcycle: Black 1978 Suzuki GS50E
Rebel: None
State/Province: IN
City: Ossian
Its called mid-life crisis. Lets go riding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:36 am 

MillenniumRebel wrote:
MillenniumRebel wrote:
dadorfman wrote:
You don't have to give "mid life crisis" as an excuse. As the survey released yesterday on geriatric sex shows, you don't have to stop having fun at 40. You are entitled to enjoy riding the bike.

PS - I didn't even know they HAVE geriatric sex shows ... so don't ask me about them - guess I missed the survey too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:01 am 

Motorcycle: 1982 Honda GL500i Silverwing
State/Province: OH
City: Painesville
Dumb question but I purchased the flasher unit from the auto parts store but it does not have the 2 wires coming out as I have seen the ones online for motorcycles. Did I purchase the wrong one. I have not got into the bike to look the the current unit so I cannot compare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:13 am 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
IIRC there should be two posts/spade connectors on the one you need.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:22 am 

There are in an 'L' shape.

So what are the two wires coming out of the other flashers I saw? Not the same but kinda like this:

I guess they take the place of the spades? Thanks again. I really hate buggin y'all but very little experience here with the bike. I guess the size of the one I bought just put me in a panic.

Ike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:51 am 
Forum Administrator

Ike:

what you bought is correct.

What you have in that second picture looks like something from a dirt bikes-- the plug into the existing wiring harness or something from certain Kawasakis or some really old UJMs.

Most bikes-- and your Rebel is one of them-- take a standard automotive type flasher unit, like you bought.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:19 pm 

Got it. Thanks again. Time to get to work. Hopefully my fingers are small enough. Y'all have put my mind at ease and I can move forward with confidence. For now. : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:19 am 

Got er done! Worked like a champ. I also took your advice Duke and rereouted the flasher wiring. Much much easier to get to now. Thanks for everybody's help.

BhamRebel, the pics were of great help.

Ike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:57 am 
Forum Administrator

Glad it worked,

and good luck with the rally!

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject: Re: Flasher relay location/removal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:42 pm 

Motorcycle: 1985 Rebel
State/Province: OR
City: Portland
My turn signal flasher died and this thread helped me replace and re-place the unit. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:27 pm 
Forum Administrator

Any time.

That's why it's here. :lol:

So---

the new location better for you? :D

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:24 pm 

Motorcycle: 1985 Rebel
State/Province: OR
City: Portland
It's great. Unhooking the old one wasn't a problem, but installing the new unit would've been a pain.