It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: How do I make my Rebel sound loud and vicious?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:59 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
112hp95ci wrote:
that is the problem with the gear ratio on a Rebel, it has to be designed as a "one size fits all."

Which, again, is based on many factors...and this concept is no different for any other bike: the final ratio is a "one size fits all" for each and every model that rolls off the line. Sprocket swaps happen on any bike that comes from the factory with a chain & sprockets, from the smallest 49cc bike all the way up to the big automotive displacement bikes: owners of each/every model are futzing around with the cogs in an effort to achieve, well...whatever it is they're trying to achieve.

See, the thing with a sprocket mod is that it achieves a goal for THAT particular person, it's not a "one size fits all" formula. What might work for you in your typical riding environment won't necessarily work for me in my particular riding environment. Meanwhile the stock ratio tends to work well in most environments, which is why the engineers stuck with it. Any effort beyond that is tailoring it for one particular environment: the tailor's.

Quote:
Well let's define heavy, it is someone that is stupid is as stupid does.

For someone complaining about ball-busting, let's take a look at what's REALLY going on here: I opened with a civil response to you and you immediately took it in the opposite direction. Which opens yet another door for ball busting: obviously you like to throw the ball but pretend to dislike having it thrown back. Your ball just got busted.

That said, let's continue this direction that you voluntarily took the topic towards. You equate "heavy" with "low intelligence"?!? What's next, a discussion of racism and bigotry? I swear this is turning out to be another ProDigit/MeeLee effect --- we are discussing sprocket mods after all. ;)

Apologies, that was an inside joke for those of us that have been here for a bit. Retracted if you actually are PD/M. :lol:

Either way, credibility just took a severe hit with that one and continues to take more hits from there:

Quote:
It like the difference between being ignorant and arrogant, so whatever category you fit in then suck it up and quite whining like a baby.

Who's whining? Or is that being directed elsewhere, much like the rest of the post following that comment? It helps to make use of any forum's quoting feature so the recipient(s) knows exactly who the rant or rave is being directed to.

While we're on the topic of weight versus IQ/ignorance/arrogance --- that should be "It's" not "It" & "quit" not "quite." Since the aforementioned remainder of that post isn't directed to me (or maybe it is? It's tough to tell considering a paragraph break didn't equate to a direction of recipient break), I won't continue through it and point out more of that weight vs IQ angle. That is, I won't do so unless 150lbs is also considered "heavy." :D

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

112hp95ci wrote:
I could care less what MCN states,

<sigh>

Here we go again, weight vs IQ --- it's "I couldn't care less." When you say "I could care less" it indicates that you actually do care somewhat about the subject in question --- meaning since you DO care it's entirely probable that you can, in fact, care a little less than you currently do. Meanwhile if you couldn't care less it indicates you do not care at all, and there is no possibility of caring less since the care is already non-existent.

Quote:
People just beat the Rebel into a dead horse, just quoting the max gross carrying weight is 345 lbs, if you honestly believe that is true, then you are ignorant.

No, what is truly ignorant would be taking "max safe load rating" and mis-translating it to "max gross carrying weight". Those are two completely different things.

This point was already discussed but since you feel the need to attempt making one into the other, it needs to be pointed out. Like I inferred the first time around, that safe load rating has NOTHING to do with engine power and/or torque. In other words, any of those bikes CAN exceed their safe load rating by means of available power and/or torque (i.e. carrying capacity). It's just not a good idea to do so as the brakes & suspension aren't as effective at those above-rated weights. But those bikes certainly CAN pull the extra loads if so called upon. Thus, to anyone who doesn't believe the 345 pound max safe load rating to be true: it's posted on a sticker on your chain guard. Just make sure that you read it carefully, because it does say "max safe load rating" not "max gross carrying weight". To ignore that would be, well...ignorant.

Do you see where the "ball busting" comes into play now? Anytime someone places a "bust me" sign over their balls, there will be someone willing to do just that. Make that sign prominent enough and you'll get more than one candidate...your sign happens to be larger and brighter than any neon sign on the Las Vegas Strip, hence all the resulting traffic.

Are you ready to retract your continually self-proven invalid "weight vs IQ" point now? If not, here's your sign: :kickme1:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:08 pm 

Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Rebel
State/Province: TX
City: Houston
Don't ask a foolish question or you will receive a fool's bashing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:22 pm 

Put you Dead Horse to pasture, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:46 am 

For as what to do about you wanting loud exhausts, just take the pipes off completely and let it exhaust straight out of the exhaust ports, that makes sense to me. Regardless, it will yield you the same results, I had a stupid customer ask me yesterday to extend his exhaust on his generator with 6' of flexible exhaust pipe. I said, If I was stupid, then I would but I know what the end result would be. I said why don't you move your generator to a different location.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

112hp95ci wrote:
Don't ask a foolish question or you will receive a fool's bashing.

Perhaps you might consider your own advice with that stellar statement. My heart pumps with pi$$ over your pathetic "ball busting" whine, you have brought this all upon yourself.

112hp95ci wrote:
Put you Dead Horse to pasture, if that makes sense.

It was put to pasture, YOU are the one that brought it back to life after six+ years of dormancy. Go look at the date stamped on the post prior to your resurrection of the thread: July of 2011. So, no...it doesn't make sense, not coming from you anyways.

BTW --- it's "Put your dead horse to pasture." That would at least help it to make some sense. 150 pounds is definitely heavy by your own definition, and it's out there for the internet population to see.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 am 

What is the difference between a broken toilet and this Thoroughly Dead Horse Post?

One thing about it is, at least I know how to line up chains & sprockets, why you should not modify your exhaust, and the reasons behind changing sprocket ratios.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Don't feed the trolls folks.. :yapyap1:

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 pm 

Yes I might be a Troll, but I am not arrogant and stupid. It does not bother me in the least, I have seen some real ...............comments right here from the Trollers. At least, I do not believe everything I see, hear or read, some have a very limited knowledge and depend on others to hold their hand and guide them, sorry I don't meet that criteria. I have the latest Honda Rebel Manual and it has several mistakes in it, and it is outside the scope of your ability to comprehend and understand it, and do not care because that has to be right because Honda said so. It is just like the comment in regards to the Judder Spring and seat, they do not come with one because they serve no purpose. You would have to tear it down and examine it, but I am sure most still would not understand, just like I redesigned my clutch springs because Honda springs are junk, unless you understand how compression springs are designed then .............. No different than using boards, broom handles and bed rails to line your sprocket and chain, there is only one correct way that is still the only way. You rely on a little label on the swing arm to insure of the alignment?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:45 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Well you certainly have strong opinions. This discussion is over however, and consider this your warning that gratuitously disrespectful posts will not be allowed in the future. Its fine to disagree but its not fine to be disagreeable.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate