Post subject: Re: Clutch tutorial
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
112hp95ci wrote:
Well, that is your opinion and I have mine, the difference is mine is not theoretical it is the facts.

Hmmm well, opinions are not facts. You and I might well have different opinions, (seems we do) but we don't have different facts.

112hp95ci wrote:
My comment was in regards to my 2016 Rebel having a poorly designed weak clutch system, and if the owner's manual states check and replace every 4 k miles tells me that they are junk. Read the comment and I inserted a link that might shed some light on "clutch burnout."

Yeah,,, I'd suggest checking clutch adjustment every 4000 miles,maybe . I think most Rebel owners are getting much longer than 4000 miles between clutch burnouts. I've got about 8000 miles on mine now and no signs of an issue yet.

112hp95ci wrote:
I am going to quote your comment from above "have the clutch pulled or only partially engaged," this is the worst possible scenario and it is not theoretical because "it is like driving a car with a standard transmission and riding the clutch." This is unnecessary wear and tear and it causes the clutches to wear even faster, but it is your motorcycle not mine. I have came very close to being rear ended several times because I see someone approaching from behind at higher than usual speed and I will pull up between two cars on the left or right, it is one hell of a lot better than being a pancake.
I'm curious about how a seasoned rider like yourself would manage a very low speed obstacle course at less than idling speed in first gear, or perhaps making a U turn without slipping the clutch ? We did have one expert on here who made U turns in third gear... Perhaps that's your method too?

112hp95ci wrote:
Maybe you have never driven a car with a manual transmission because very few cars have been made with manual transmissions for years? A lot of people cannot drive a standard shift or never seen one.

Yeah I've owned a few cars and trucks with manual gearboxes so I do understand what they are and how they work.

112hp95ci wrote:
For as being rear-ended at a light or stop, if you are pulled right up behind someone and not off to one side or the other then your are setting yourself up for a rear in collision. I used to be a safety leader for Exxon and Defensive Driving is one of my responsibilities and regardless of the situation "you should always leave enough for an escape route," staying to the left or right of the vehicle in front of you will give you a place to go, the clutch has nothing to do with it.

So you do agree there might be a situation where you suddenly need to pull away without excessive delay from where you are stopped in traffic? Perhaps you have never experienced a motorcycle transmission refusing to drop sweetly into first gear from neutral. Usually it only takes a little finessing and perhaps rolling the bike ahead or back a couple of inches. Not a problem to waste a couple of seconds unless you are in the process of being rear ended . Much better to already be in gear and ready to shoot up into that empty space beside the car ahead.

112hp95ci wrote:
I went back and found some information regarding how to learn to use the throttle and clutch, read 3, 4 & 5. Read number 5 that is titled "Burnout," maybe you are not aware of what the "friction zone" is. Here is the link to the above for teaching new riders how to use clutch and throttle management: http://lizjansen.com/overcoming-resistance/. Maybe some of you seasoned riders should read this and you might learn something you did not know or maybe ignorant about the subject. Remember that there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.

Yeah, well I've been teaching and coaching beginners on how to use clutch and throttle and the "friction zone" in the Basic Rider's course for nearly 18 years now, so I've almost mastered the skills myself. :P

112hp95ci wrote:
There are a lot of seasoned riders that ride like you and that is your choice. I have ridden and still ride 125 hp motorcycles even at 70 yrs. old and I learned to drive with a standard shift when I was 14 years old.

Well gosh, I won't be that old til next summer. My daily riders are 130 and 110 HP and I manage to keep them both upright most of the time. :cycle: I sold all my really powerful fast bikes though. Too much for me! rofl

Oh yeah,,learned to drive in my dad's '59 Pontiac six cylinder with 3 on the tree up and down the driveway.. I was 12 I think.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate