It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: General and specific suggestions please! 1400 miles one way
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:10 pm 

State/Province: NE
Since my daughter earned a Marine ROTC scholarship, she got to choose a university to attend. She chose Jacksonville University (Jacksonville, FL). She has an orientation to attend mid-July. She had thought she would fly out, stay overnight and then fly back. We thought about it and decided it would be a perfect excuse for some serious cross country. We'll be giving ourselves extra days and riding on slower, more interesting/scenic state highways/county roads and on the interstate as little as possible.

She is a brand-new rider, about 1 year experience. Started on a 1972 CB100.
She would be riding a 2007 cmx250, saddlebags, sissybar, windshield, 15 tooth. My wife is riding an '06 cmx250, set up for touring.
I'll be riding my BMW F800ST.

For those that have done cross-country motorcycling, please comment. I have ridden 99% of my experience in and around town. I did ride the BMW from Salt Lake City to Lincoln Nebraska when I purchased it. Thats about 900 miles. Oh, and we have done a Kansas City trip once. So, really, not much serious touring.

We'll be buying a decent 3 man tent from cabelas, but plan to eat at restaurants/supermarket along the way. May get a motel or two. Not sure.

What specific tools/supplies should we take?
I know I'll need a 17mm wrench to do oil changes, what else?
If I change the oil before the trip, can I put 2K-2.5K Highway miles without an oil change? I've always done them right at 1K miles, but since it's highway, would it be OK?

Thanks for your advice! :wavey1:

Bruce

2006 CMX250 White Rebel
2007 CMX250 Red Rebel
2008 BMW F800ST

Post subject: Re: General and specific suggestions please! 1400 miles one
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:31 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
Rebel: 250
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
You could run the whole trip on a fresh change, IMO. I'd check oil at every gas stop.
1400 miles, broken in to three days wouldn't be too bad at all. I'd go for motels personally but only because tenting it anymore doesn't hold the appeal it once did.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:43 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
Buickguy wrote:
I'd go for motels personally but only because tenting it anymore doesn't hold the appeal it once did.

More so considering the humidity down south. Even though I was born and raised in that southern climate, 30 years in the dry southern Nevada desert has spoiled me.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:17 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
As Marty suggested, oil change won't be an issue, but I WOULD carry an extra quart or two of oil because long days of running could use a bit of oil on the rebels. Given the bikes involved and the level of experience, I'd be planning on 5 days each way, at least. Sticking to country roads and enjoying the scenery, I'd assume a daily average of 300-400 miles, particularly since you plan to camp. And on that topic, I have to side with Marty and Richard: if you can manage it, consider low end motels instead. At the end of a long day of riding, esp. in hot weather, there's a LOT to be said for a shower, clean bed and air conditioning. If you've spent much of the day riding in rain, it means that much more. Plus, it eliminates some gear from your luggage. then again, I'm not young any more.

I'll start your 'carry' list:
Spare headlight bulb, spare turn signal/running light/taillight bulbs
Spare fuses
Tire plugs, inner tubes
Open end/box wrenches: 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 mm, plus whatever fits your front and rear axles
Screw drivers: blade and phillips
Visegrips (small ones)
Length of clear plastic hose for siphoning
zip ties, duct tape, small roll of snare wire
multi tool or at minimum, jackknife.
CHAIN LUBE
Plenty of extra ear plugs
face shield cleaner
rain gear
spare face shield
...well, there's a starting point. IF you're not overly likely to do the roadside repairs most of the tools imply, you might instead opt for an AAA gold card or whatever level of their membership covers motorcycles.
Best of luck. Multi-day touring is a wonderful experience. the key to success will be good communication among riders during the ride. Work up some signals for letting each other know of needs such as bathroom, food, fuel, (tap the relevant reservoir) rest, slow down, etc. And each night decide if you're pushing too hard, not enough, just right, and don't set too unreasonable goals for the first couple days. The group needs to stop when the first member of the group to fatigue says so.
Ain't it great when the whole family rides? You never have to have those "murdercycle/donorcycle" conversations....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:12 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
City: Fredericton
I love motorcycle touring, but just riding is enough roughing it for me. In the evening, I'm looking for a motel and a hot meal. I find even my BMW limited in the ability to carry stuff, and I can't imagine packing camping gear. I understand some folks enjoy mucking about with tents and air mattresses, but I enjoy the riding part, and a comfortable room at night, especially those wet evenings when its raining cats and dogs . YMMV.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
I would recommend NOT staying in "hotels/motels" that do not have doorlocks (my 1st touring experience with "low-end" rooms).

200 miles per day is plenty when camping as a family. I used a Holofill bag and tarp, but often wound up sleeping under picnic tables, when traveling solo.

Let me support weezeburnt's carry extra oil advice, the rebel 250s will blow it out the breather and you need to check oil level every couple of hundred miles.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
[quote="jsonder"]I would recommend NOT staying in "hotels/motels" that do not have doorlocks

I've never encountered this! Is this a regional phenomenon? :shock: :shock:
And yeah, I can't say I'd be willing to stay in a room without a lock.

Oh, and to the original poster: you'll need a device to re-inflate tires in case of a flat (small portable pump or CO2 cartridge device) and definitely need a tire gauge to check inflation every morning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:39 pm 

State/Province: NE
Thanks guys! That is some great advice. I was planning to get a Scala intercom system so the communication between riders would be easily understood.
You are talking me out of camping! haha well, thats OK, I originally proposed we JUST do motels, NO CAMPING, then I got to thinking about it. I kind of like visiting state parks and really scenic areas. Its probably best to just keep it simple and do the motel thing.

It looks like with the gear listed i will have my saddlebags full, plus personal gear, etc. No room, at least on this trip for tent, fly, ground cloth, poles, stakes, sleeping bags, foam mattresses,etc. Going lighter=going easier.

I have a small 12v air pump wheeze mentioned, got all the tools,etc. will have to get the inner tubes
tools, oil, pump, inner tubes, duct tape, etc.,etc. =20-25 pounds!!!!

2006 CMX250 White Rebel
2007 CMX250 Red Rebel
2008 BMW F800ST

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

jus4fun wrote:
Thanks guys! That is some great advice. I was planning to get a Scala intercom system so the communication between riders would be easily understood.
You are talking me out of camping! haha well, thats OK, I originally proposed we JUST do motels, NO CAMPING, then I got to thinking about it. I kind of like visiting state parks and really scenic areas. Its probably best to just keep it simple and do the motel thing.

It looks like with the gear listed i will have my saddlebags full, plus personal gear, etc. No room, at least on this trip for tent, fly, ground cloth, poles, stakes, sleeping bags, foam mattresses,etc. Going lighter=going easier.

I have a small 12v air pump wheeze mentioned, got all the tools,etc. will have to get the inner tubes
tools, oil, pump, inner tubes, duct tape, etc.,etc. =20-25 pounds!!!!

:bikerthumb: Good call on travelling light.. As long as you have room for a credit card you're good. Considering the unikelihood of a flat, I'd be willing to forego the tire inflation gear too, but I like to live dangerously.

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:21 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
I have to say, I have done a bit of touring. I only ever had one puncture on the rear of my '87 BMW in Traverse City Mi. at the hotel parking lot and that was because of hotel renovations. A stray nail from construction got me.
The on board flat kit got me home.
Those were tubeless tire however.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've never had a flat in all the years and miles I've been touring. However On my trip to BC in '09, my riding partner picked up 2 separate nails in a tubeless rear tire. Neither one flattened the tire, but the first one caused a slow leak which took a plug to fix. The second had not penetrated the carcass and so was pulled out without incident. Tube type tires are more fragile, and will go flat when punctured. Lots of bad stuff could happen I suppose, but i don't carry enough equipment to deal with all eventualities. That's why we have Walmarts.

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:45 pm 

Motorcycle: 2005
State/Province: wa
City: PNW
5000+ mile trip back in 2008. No flats, one oil change ~2600 miles into the trip, one headlight bulb, one qt oil (WOT in 100 degree temps). I don't carry spare tubes or parts for the bike. Checked the oil after every stop, checked the air pressure in the mornings. Bulb burned out on a really nasty 10 mile stretch of road construction, that, had I know how bad it was, i would have found a detour. I ran the bike for ~200 miles with no headlight. No big deal. Auto parts store in the next town we came to had one.

If either bike had gotten an unrepairable puncture, I would have used AAA. The only time I would consider hauling around a spare tire and tube is when we head to Alaska. (and that will be on the GS's)

Spouse actually used AAA this last weekend. Heading to OR, picked up a diamond shaped piece of metal on his NC700, he thinks from a center line rumble strip. He had them haul him and the bike 60 miles to Vancouver, WA to a bike shop. Now I'm glad I pay that membership every year. (and he was less than 200 miles from home). had a patch kit and pump, but it would not have fixed the tire.

no bike to bike communications, we have basic hand signals worked out and if we want to blather to each other, we pull off the road.

Started the trip with new tires (old ones had 15,000 miles on them), fresh oil, plugs, chain, sprockets. Valve check. Other than the bulb and burning oil, the bike ran perfectly.

Camped most nights. hotel'd it after a 700 mile day. :-)

We did carry some tools, duct tape, knife, chain lube, zip ties. AAA card. carried water, peanuts, jerky, string cheese, stuff like that to snack on. Dinner/breakfast was usually picked up at a grocery store (cooked chicken, salad, stuff you can pick up in the deli).

Clothing is micro fiber/quick dry stuff that you can find at REI or such. Jeans and other all cotton items were left at home.

I carried a Big Anges tent, my BA sleeping bag, Thermarest. Plus my clothes, toiletries, food and misc stuff. Packed it all in a set of Ortlieb dry bag panniers and an Ortlieb tail bag. Spouse carried his bag and mattress, clothes and the tools.

Rebel loaded down at the top of Beartooth Pass. I'm going to hazard a guess that all my packed gear weighed less than 25 lbs. Spouse had all his stuff packed into a MotoFizz tailbag (medium sized)