It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: First time caught riding in snow storm
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:55 am 

I've had tryied to ride in the snow before, near home, no traffic.
If you ride very very slowly you can do it.

But yesterday was the first time that I get caught in a freeway in a REAL riding trip (getting back home) in a snow storm.
It is very uncommon here to have such a serious snow storm in April, I reallly didn't expected it.
I was returning to my house from the capital, it started with some snowflakes falling, but as I approached home (and increasing the altituded > 100m) things got worse, and got really nervous, not only for the snow, but for the cars (though they were running slow), the road was still quite black, but the snow was floating around, as it was levitating.
Then I arrived to the last and biggest slope and my rebel barely could reached 80Km/h, (I usually get there 100km/h), maybe the wind, my nerves... passed the last tunnel and..
Then I arrived to the exit I took the slip road and felt relaxed, riding the secondary roads, the countryside was beautiful all the meadows in white, it was snowing even harder and the road was getting fully covered in snow but I could ride better not so nervous, no cars, slower.
Arrived home... wife worried, kids dad is hero... me quite satisfied :D

Today is still snowing and no way I'll take the rebel to the road until all the snow dissapears, but I feel good about yesterdays' trip. :winter:

Post subject: Re: First time caught riding in snow storm
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:15 am 

Motorcycle: 2005
Rebel: 250
State/Province: wa
City: PNW
I've ridden the Rebel while snowing, but only if there is no ice/snow build up on the roads. Don't do it very often, as once the snow starts falling around my house, it is pretty much impossible to get the bike from the garage up the two driveways to the road. Tried it once. Steep driveway + 2" of snow = bike falling over.

Post subject: Re: First time caught riding in snow storm
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:32 pm 

Today my rebel is parked and resting :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us