It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: First long ride on the CM450C
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:38 pm 

Rebel: 250
State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
Well, getting it home was long, but that wasn't for fun. That was just for transportation. I'd been hoping to get in one good ride before it got cold or I got too tied up in moving to get out for fun, and I managed it today.

I finally got the bike registered, insured, and inspected a few weeks ago... just before the temps dropped too low to be fun to ride. Today I got a decent day; lots of sun, and up into the mid forties. Luxury!

I ended up putting about 66 miles on it, according to Google maps, and it looks like I burned about a gallon of gas. not bad for an '82 450! (The speedo is still totally useless, but the odometer seems to work. Google and the odometer agreed that the trip out was about 42 miles, and I put .64 gallons in when I turned around.)

This was by way of being a test: the route I took has been the short version of my favorite run since I got the Rebel. For those who want to follow along on Google maps, start out in Amherst, MA, and take Pelham Road/Amherst Road to Rt 202. Then follow Rt. 202 north until you get to 202 -- then turn around and come back. It's a beautiful run, with occasional views of the Quabbin Reservoir, and lots of hills. When the weather's warmer, I take a left onto Rt 2 West, and ride it out to Greenfield, where I take Rt 5 back. Today I was cold, so I just came home. The map doesn't really show what the road is really like... there's a long section of Rt 202 that's heavily wooded, and where you never have more than about 100 feet of visibility before the next turn. On top of that, there's a lot of up and down -- there just aren't any flat points between where Amherst Rd meets 202 and where 202 meets 2. There are enough cops around that traffic is mostly fairly reasonable, though; average speed is probably around 50-55 most of the time.

Even with a busted speedo and a slipping clutch, it was a fantastic ride. While I still love the Rebel, I think I have a new favorite; the CM had enough power to keep up with traffic in the hills, something the Rebel always had trouble with, and was still nimble enough to ride around in the parking lot of the storage unit where I'd left the windscreen, and a couple of small store lots where I stopped to warm up or buy a snack. And I was a lot less sore when I got home than the Rebel usually leaves me... that's a plus too.

Post subject: Re: First long ride on the CM450C
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:52 pm 

Motorcycle: SHADOW, REBEL, NIGHT HAWK
State/Province: AR
City: Forrest City
Sounds like you had some fun. Cool
:bikerthumb:

85 REBEL 250
93 NIGHTHAWK 250
83 NIGHTHAWK 650
"Semper Fi Do or Die Devil Doc ALWAYS Tries"
"Through the Gates of Hell for a Wounded Marine"

Post subject: Re: First long ride on the CM450C
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:00 pm 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
Yep! I just wish I'd been able to get the thing on the road when I bought it. ;-)

Next up, figure out how to add some luggage...