It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 4th Anniversary Road Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:58 pm 

Motorcycle: BMW G650GS
Rebel: 450
State/Province: CO
City: Arvada
It's coming up! 4 years of wedded bliss (preceded by 10 years of courtship :D ). Last year we set a precedent by taking a week off to ride the motos. This year, hubby wants to visit Pioneer Village in Minden, NE. So, we'll be leaving the Denver area on Monday the 25th of July and heading more or less that way. I've been wanting to visit the Nicodemus National Historic Site in Kansas. So, that's more or less the loop we'll take. The Geographic Center of the US is also close. So is the world's largest ball of sisal twine. What else?

I hope the weather cooperates. We've been having some wicked afternoon storms that travel about the same route out of Colorado and into Nebraska and Kansas. Hmmmm....might need a plan B in the back pocket too.

Allaina

Post subject: Re: 4th Anniversary Road Trip
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:23 pm 

Motorcycle: BMW G650GS
State/Province: CO
City: Arvada
Well, our travel plans did change quite a bit. But, luckily we were able to still make a go of it. My G650GS started having stalling issues. So, the week before our planned trip, I dropped it off at the dealership. I usually have it serviced at my local shop close to work but, he'd determined the problem to be warranty related so I had to use the dealership. They had my bike a full week! :waiting1: Unable to reproduce the problem (which I told them they wouldn't) they offered that it was running just fine. :gaah: So, I asked them what should I do when it stalls again. They said to bring it back and they'll try again to diagnose the problem. :huh1: They said, to just keep riding it until it happens again and that I should take it on the trip. :duh1:

They didn't charge me anything for the week of test rides and hooking it up to their computer. It apparently did have issues talking to their diagnostic machine - but nothing is wrong with the bike. :gaah:

So, we decided to change our plans for a shorter trip. We headed south to Taos! Neither of us had been there before so it fit our criteria for an anniversary road trip. And we got to hook up with my father-in-law who rode his Harley up to meet us for one day. The three of us rode the Enchanted Circle together. After that we rode towards Albuquerque to visit my mother-in-law as well. Then, we rode back Saturday, about 460 miles - our longest day ever in the saddle.

During the trip, my bike started behaving as though it wanted to stall on day 3. We'd ridden out to visit the Earthships and on the way back got caught in the stop and go traffic through town. So, instead of waiting for it to stall, I killed it at a stoplight and restarted it again. It seemed fine after that. BMW claimed the bike was having computer issues so I thought maybe a reboot would do the trick.

Then on the drive home, about 411 miles in, it started misbehaving again. We were on the interstate going about 70-75mph so I didn't want to reboot it on the fly. But, then we hit stop and go traffic. For over an hour we were in this 10mph or so traffic. It stalled once and started right back up. Then a mile later it stalled again and started back up. By this time I was fried. We made it through into Castle Rock and pulled over for some dinner and too relax. I was completely wiped out, tired and stressed and needed some fried chicken. It was tasty. Not as good as my mom's but it was pretty tasty.

After that we made it home without incident. The stealership didn't open until Tuesday. So, I took the bike to my local shop for an oil change and it's next 6,000 mile service. Then called BMW. Now, they are telling me they will have to charge me for any time they spend on it if they don't find a problem. :gaah: Seriously?! So, once again I started to feel as though they think I'm some dumb girl with a phantom problem. I'd gotten that feeling earlier as well but brushed it aside when they seemed to have the same attitude toward my husband. They were all sunshine and puppies when I picked it up because they test rode it and it ran fine. No smurf sherlock! I told you it runs fine until it stalls.

So, we've decided it just needs to be ridden until it's broken enough for them to fix it. Hopefully that happens before the warranty runs out in a year or 13,000 miles whichever comes first. I just rolled over 17,000 miles after we got back. :)

Tomorrow we are doing the 100,000 foot ride. Coincidentally, it starts at the BMW shop. Idiots! :sigh1:

I'll post some pics of our Taos trip soon.

Allaina

Post subject: Re: 4th Anniversary Road Trip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:47 am 

Motorcycle: 2002 V Star 650 Custom
State/Province: OH
City: Albany
Oh I feel your pain! There's nothing I hate more than being treated like I'm just a "dumb girl" and I don't know what I'm talking about. Grrr...makes my blood boil! :gaah:

I hope you get it figured out, sounds rather frustrating. My car does that to me sometimes - makes strange noises or stalls and the second I have someone look at it, the darn thing runs/sounds just fine. Hmmmph!

Anyway, sounds like you had a nice trip despite the problems with stalling out. :) Can't wait to see pics!

Therapy Is Expensive...Wind is Cheap!