It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Oh deer!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:57 pm 

Motorcycle: '95 EN500-A6, '80 CB400T (rig)
Rebel: 250
State/Province: WV
City: Brandywine
There were 9 deer on the road at various points during my ~25 mile journey home. I guess it's that time of the year again. D:=

In one place, I slowed while approaching one in the road. She moved off the road just as another bounded out of the forest into the road. So I stopped until that one was out of the way. Then before I even released the clutch all the way, two more bounded out and crossed. X_x

Sometimes I wonder if attaching a deer whistle somewhere would be prudent. Though I have my doubts as to whether those things actually work...

Venison is tasty, but not at the cost of a motorcycle wreck. :3

Post subject: Re: Oh deer!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:11 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
You were wise to slow down and wait. Too many people see a deer cross the road ahead, and just plow on as before. These are herding animals (at least at certain times of the year) and where there's one, there is probably two or three or seventeen!

I understand there are now deer/wildlife 'whistles' available that actually emit an electrically generated sound, and do show signs of working. THey are in the neighbourhood of $80, and are not cheap plastichrome bug catchers that stick on your fender. I believe the latter to be totally ineffective.

brent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:38 am 

Motorcycle: '95 EN500-A6, '80 CB400T (rig)
Rebel: 250
State/Province: WV
City: Brandywine
wheezeburnt wrote:
I understand there are now deer/wildlife 'whistles' available that actually emit an electrically generated sound, and do show signs of working. THey are in the neighbourhood of $80, and are not cheap plastichrome bug catchers that stick on your fender. I believe the latter to be totally ineffective.

Interesting! I'll have to google for these.

This area is really bad with deer. We're right up next to the George Washington national forest and this area is mostly farmland, so there is tons of food for them. They breed like rabbits. I call them the "Rats of the Forest" (just as pigeons are the "Rats of the Air").

Our new executive vice president totaled her car hitting one on her way to the first day of work.... It's an omen, I say. :P

1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
2005 Honda Rebel 250

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:23 pm 

Motorcycle: Suzuki C50; BMW G650GS
Rebel: None
State/Province: IN
City: Scottsburg
My thing with the deer whistles: yes, deer can hear them, but who taught the deer to be afraid of them and run the OPPOSITE direction, if spooked they can run in either direction they choose. Good human idea applied to wild animals who do not think like humans (thank god).
I have seen deer run toward cars with the deer whistles, I have seen deer raise their head and look in the directions of the whistles.