It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Almost put 'er down today....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:16 pm 

Motorcycle: '95 EN500-A6, '80 CB400T (rig)
Rebel: 250
State/Province: WV
City: Brandywine
Well, I had a bit of a scary moment this afternoon.

On the way home from work, on the Rebel, I may have been being a little, ah... Rambunctious in my climbing of North Mountain. I little scraping of pegs here and there, as it were....

So I was coming around a right-hand corner in a rather hard lean, not-quite scraping, when a sudden mighty gust of wind struck from the right. It must have lifted the bike a little or something, because the front wheel suddenly lost traction and started sliding to the left, and I started into a low-side.

If I'd have had any sense, I probably should have just let it low-side and slid behind it, but it happened too fast to really think. The right peg started folding up and I yanked my foot off of it and put my knee on the seat, while throwing weight forwards to try to get the tire to dig in. It found traction and I twitched the bars to the right to pull the bike back upright.

Pulled off alongside the road and had a little sit-down for a while until various orifices un-puckered.

Post-mortem: I think I got really lucky, and I shouldn't be pushing it so hard on windy mountains. It is easy to become over-confident when I've been riding a particular bike for a while and can be kinda all One with it and stuff, but that's a dangerous trap to fall into...

Post subject: Re: Almost put 'er down today....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:47 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Shadow ACE (2003)
Rebel: None
State/Province: DE
You ever seen the Firefly episode where the pilot says, "I am a leaf on the wind?" If not, youtube it and see what happened next ;0)

Glad you didn't become a statistic!

I had a close call with a few sheets of plywood attached to the top of a minivan with rubber bungee cords. Un-huh... was just a day ago. Will maybe ellaborate another time ;0)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:58 pm 

Were you leaning the minivan too hard into a turn and folded the mirror up? :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:58 pm 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
Gor-ram plywood...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:08 pm 

I was driving the old cage (junky old 3.8L Oldsmobile the color of primer and rust) on the interstate several years ago. In the left lane beside of us is an old chrysler station wagon, the kind with the wood-colored side panels (Aspen wagon, maybe?) with a mattress strapped to the top, being followed by a compact pickup, the kind without much ground clearance. So anyway, the mattress comes off and slides beneath the pickup truck and gets stuck. I slow down anticipating a big pileup. The pickup keeps on truckin', and the mattress catches on fire, from the friction I guess. They pull off, and I pull off to see if they need some help, but they jump out with a fire extinguisher and put it out. Station wagon has disappeared by this time. Nobody is hurt, but we can't figure out how to get the mattress out, and I am late to pick someone up at the airport, so I leave....