It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: "History" Ride with the Cruisers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 am 

Motorcycle: 2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
Rebel: None
State/Province: GA
City: Gwinnett County
Our local chapter of the Southern Cruisers rides almost every weekend, and yesterday we did a ride that I wanted to share with any of the history fans out there.

About six bikes (8 people) met north of Atlanta in Lula, 30 miles from my home. We then rode about 40-45 miles on some twisty back roads up to Taccoa, GA, where we stopped at the Currahee Military Museum. This museum is primarily dedicated the Airborne regiments that trained at Camp Taccoa during WWII. "Band of Brothers" fans would have recognized the mountain we rode past just before we got into town, and there are a lot of exhibits in the museum from the movie or the actual regiments.

After about an hour touring the museum, and a nice home-cooked lunch at BJ's in Taccoa, we rode up to the Traveler's Rest State Historic site. This is an old stagecoach stop and inn, originally built in 1815, and now run by the state historical society. We spent another hour touring there before heading back home.

All together, 150 of great back roads, two interesting historical stops (I actually own the box set of "Band of Brothers" ;) ), a good meal, and good fellowship. It was about 40 degrees out when we met, without a cloud in the sky, and it got up to a high of about 55 before cooling back down in the evening. A great day!
:bikerthumb:

Road Captain & 1st Officer; SCRC Chapter 09

IMPERIAL RED/BLACK 2010 Kaw Vulcan Voyager 1700

RED/TITANIUM 2009 Kaw Vulcan 900 LT (18,500 miles)

RED 2009 Kaw Vulcan EN500C (9,000 miles)

BLACK 2005 Rebel (2,000 miles)