All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trip to Texas Hill Country, July 4th Weekend *LOTS OF PICS*
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:33 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Plano (dallas)
Well, I reckon I've procrastinated posting this trip report for long enough.

I took SO many pictures while on the road, it's been a bear to get them all sorted out, rotated properly, shrunk down to a managable size, etc.

So without further adieu, on with the show... I apologize in advance to interested dialup readers, it may take all night to load this thread. ;)

It was a long weekend, and I wanted to be prepared for ANYTHING that fate may have dealt me. I wanted no surprises on this trip, as almost every mile of it passed down two-lane highways, most with no shoulders, with scores of miles between towns, of which only one or two had any motorcycle shops and/or hospitals.

I packed a bit more than I needed, and probably with better planning could have come up with a better way to load the bike... However, everything fit on the bike, and handling was not adversely affected, although U-Turning radius was affected by my overstuffed backpack mounted as a tank bag.

What I brought:

Myself, the clothes I was wearing, my riding gear, etc.
Rain Suit
Laptop Computer, charger
Three pairs nice jeans
Three pairs underwear
Three pairs shorts
Three stretch tee undershirts
Swim Trunks (Grandma's swimming hole at the river is #1 in all of TX)
Softball jersey Tee
Work clothes (in case of breakdown)
Camera, Charger, CF Card Reader
iPod, headphones, charger, adaptor cable
Mini TX Road Atlas (not that I needed it, I know the route by heart)
Bottled Water (It is Texas, after all... gotta stay hydrated)
Lowtop Sneakers
Cowboy Boots (for riding and/or boot-scootin', did both)
Metric Socket Set & Ratchet & Extensions
Metric Combination Wrench Set
Klein 10-in-1 Screw/Nut/Torx/Square driver
Tire Guage
Sharpie Marker
Three Shop Towels (blue paper)
Standard Pliers, Longnose Pliers, Dykes
Quart 20w50 Motor Oil
Silkolene Spray Chain Lube
Small First Aid Kit
Tinted & Clear Helmet Visors
Selt-inflating insulated bedroll
Wool Blanket
Pillow

Yep, that's a LOT of stuff. Yes, I brought all those tools AND the stock toolkit in the cubby under the battery box.

Departure (from my home near Dallas) odometer: 10,914.7 miles 07/02
Arrival (to my home near Dallas) odometer: 11,713.5 miles 07/05
Total Trip Distance: 798.8 miles

Tools:

Near Dallas, it's mostly flat land:

Evant, Texas, one of the larger small towns I pass through on my way "back home"... The "Main Strip":

In Texas, as is probably true in other states, our highways are peppered with Historical Markers. They make for a great place to pull over and stretch, and give you something interesting to read while you work the kinks out of your muscles. Here's a pic of the bike, loaded to the hilt, in front of a marker that briefly explains how Evant, TX came into existance:

Log Cabin on the side of the road. Sorry, don't know the story, but got a pic as I zipped on by:

Zipping along, enjoying the scenery, you slowly become aware that you're not in Kansas anymore (or anyplace flat, really...):

Then you start noticing all the roads get a little more curvy:

Then, after several miles of going up and down, left and right, they decide it's time to warn you!:

Back in the old days, they figured if a hill was too steep to build a road over, just blast it, and build a road THROUGH it...:

By this point in the journey back home, my card filled up on the camera, and I was only about 50 miles from my destination, and my posterior was SCREAMING at me to hurry up and get there so I could stand up for a few hours...

But, by sunset, it became clear to me it was time to go shoot some pics of the beautiful sunsets on the strip of blacktop that runs from Utopia, TX (nearest town about 5 miles from the house) to Garner State Park.

I think these pics speak for themselves, so... here ya go...

The sky goes on for miles and miles... That's the sort of thing you NEVER see in Dallas, it's just too darned FLAT!

After a few days of much needed R&R, lots of quality time spent with friends and family, it was time for me to say my goodbyes and hit the blacktop back to the Big City...

My most favorite stretch of highway in texas is Ranch Road 337 between Leakey (If you visit, say "Lake-Eee" or the locals may lynch you.. :lol: ) This particular stretch of road has many tight bends, steep grades, and scenic overlooks.

This sign says it all...:

My second favorite strip of highway here in Texas is on Farm Road 16 between Medina and Kerrville. Mostly this area is gradual grades and long sweeping curves, but right in the middle of it is a gnarly set of curveswith decreasing radius bends, off-camber angles, major grade changes, and all kinds of fun sports-bike terrain

It was REALLY hard to take any decent pictures on this strip of road, what with me snapping with my left hand, jockeying the throttle and steering with my right hand, and trying to keep the rubber side down with all my gear packed on.... But this photo, if you study it closely enough, may explain why this road is so much fun on a bike that isn't loaded down, with a sane rider who isn't snapping pics like mad behind the bars... Note the foreground curve warning arrow in contrast to the ones in the background which point the opposite direction... That is a tight bend that gets tighter after as you follow through...:

I didn't take a whole lot of pics after passing through that fun bit of FR16... If these bored you, the ones I'm not showing you of the rest of the trip back home would have REALLY bored you.

Texas is not all flat. Texas is not all desert. Texas isn't covered with sagauro cactus (but there is alot of prickly pear cactus in the hill country). And I'm sorry to disappoint, but everyone in Texas doesn't wear a 10-gallon hat and ride a horse... :lol:

But those of us who are lucky enough to have family in the hill country get to reap some added benefits... like my Grandma's Swimmin' Hole on the Sabinal River...

That Cypress tree across the river in that shot is well over 200 yrs old. Probably over 300 yrs old. The ladder that is tacked onto the side of it going into the water is about shoulder-width. It would take 6+ people holding hands to completely circle it... and while I was there, we went tubing down the Frio river near Garner State Park, and saw one Cypress tree that the property owner said had been measured to be in excess of 500 years old, and would have easily needed 12 people holding hands to completely circle it.

Anyhow, hope you enjoyed my slideshow as much as I enjoyed making the pics. It was a fun ride, almost 800 miles in about 3 days.

The Rebel handled well the whole time, I never needed anything from my Auxilliary Toolkit except for one shop rag, my chain lube, some oil, and my pressure guage. It kept up amazingly well through the hills, and I routinely had traffic ahead of me that would pull over onto the shoulder for me to pass in the no-passing zones. (Legal, and considered neighborly, btw)

I only had one "close call", and that was regarding my fuel level. There's a tiny little gas station in Adamsville, TX, nicest old man runs the place. It's called "The Store in Adamsville" on the mailbox, has two old dial-numbers gas pumps, and a movable type sign out front that usually says "Yes, We Are Open. Yes, We Have Gas and Diesel." I always like to stop and chat with the old man when passing through, and I hit my reserve just outside of the town south of Adamsville, and put an even 2.0 gallons in the tank when I got there. *phew!*

Ride safe!

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

Post subject: Re: Trip to Texas Hill Country, July 4th Weekend *LOTS OF PI
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:15 am 

Dj,

Great trip write-up and fab pics!!!

THATS what its all about, Man. I enjoyed it muchly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:19 am 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
City: Fort Worth
Sweeeet!!!

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:53 am 
Forum Administrator

Thanks!

If anyone's interested, here's a couple more pics of the bike loaded up:

Yes, it was a tight fit. NO, none of this gear weighed much. I had about 10-15 lbs in the backpack, about 10 lbs in the rear bag, and the blanket, bedroll and pillow combined were maybe 5 lbs.

The yellow bag looks like it's really wedged in there, like the handlebars couldn't turn at all. Not the case. Like I said earlier, it did affect my u-turn radius, but if I could U-turn even tighter if I let the bag honk the horn all the way thru the U-turn. :)

2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:45 pm 

Nice write-up & pics...well done!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:29 pm 

City: Fort Worth
Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and your trip! Some friends and I have been wanting to ride to the Hill Country this fall, and now I want to more than ever.

I can't believe the Rebel can hold all that stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:15 pm 

State/Province: CO
City: Colorado Springs
Thank you for the great pics, and storyline. From one Rebel Rider to another.
Rebelrouser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:23 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Folsom
Man DJ am i impress with all that gear. I do alot of road trips, however i never camp and can't imagine having enough space to actually pack all that camping stuff on my bike!!
Hey, but i always have a dress or two and a sleeping bag and pillow. Ya never know...heheheheh :P
Great pix and write up. Thanks!!!
cheers,
d

ISRA#20634
Donna's Truisms
Laughing at yourself will always serve to amuse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:10 am 

"You're Just A Lucky Guy From Texas"!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:57 am 

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/mil ... Texas.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:05 am 

State/Province: CA
City: Laguna Niguel
Thanks for the list!

I'm planning on getting away next week and I had no idea as to what to take with me.

I've taken the liberty to modify your list by removing bedroll, computer, extra pair of jeans and replacing with fruits vegetables and some dry meats. :D

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:37 am 

State/Province: CT
City: Glastonbury
GREAT TRIP!!! Thanks for sharing your photos. I really enjoyed reading about your trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:55 pm 
Forum Administrator

Well, after all this time... and it has been quite a long time since anyone even thought about this trip (well, I think about it often, my laptop screensaver still has many pics of the trip on it) and I wanted to provide some insight into Hwy 337 and it's "twistitude".

About a year ago, I took a trip down there in the truck to drop off my Jeep for storage, and I made these videos on the way back.

The first is a timelapse that starts as I leave out of town and all the way to Garner State Park, Leakey, up the middle section of 337 to Vanderpool (where there is a great motorcycle museum if you're ever planning to be in the area, PM me, and I'll put you in touch with my Pop, he'd love to meet you out there and take you for a spin thru the twisties!), then up the northern stretch of 337 to Medina (where Kinky Friedman lives) and out 16 thru the gnarly switchbacks and ends just south of Kerrville. It's set to a cool tune by Johnny Nicholas called "I'm From Texas."

The second is excerpts of the same, done in realtime, so you can see how great the hills and twists and scenery are.

Timelapse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLnEGoPHItA&fmt=18

Real-time clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZkbN03CTc&fmt=18

2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:36 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
aw man--

and here I am, all outta drool...

(been lookin' at bikes again ;) )

------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:38 am 

Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Goldwing GL1800
State/Province: GA
City: Gwinnett County
Dang, dj, you really made me miss Texas. :cry: But thanks for all the great pictures.

I've tubed on the Frio and camped at Garner. It's even better than the Guadalupe.

But that was before I had a bike. Now you've got me thinking about a trailer for the bike when we come to visit the family next summer. :D

Road Captain & 1st Officer; SCRC Chapter 09

METALLIC GRAY/BLACK 2016 Honda Goldwing
IMPERIAL RED/BLACK 2010 Kaw Vulcan Voyager 1700 (Sold with 35,000 miles)
RED/TITANIUM 2009 Kaw Vulcan 900 LT
RED 2009 Kaw Vulcan EN500C
BLACK 2005 Rebel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 pm 

Motorcycle: 1982 Honda GL500i Silverwing
State/Province: OH
City: Painesville
Making me homesick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:08 am 

Motorcycle: Nighthawk
Rebel: Nighthawk
State/Province: WA
City: Seattle
Great pics man, there's nothing better than hitting the road and going on a trip.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:40 pm 

Rebel: Nighthawk
State/Province: NJ
City: Parsippany
Dj wrote:
The first is a timelapse that starts as I leave out of town and all the way to Garner State Park, Leakey, up the middle section of 337 to Vanderpool (where there is a great motorcycle museum if you're ever planning to be in the area, PM me, and I'll put you in touch with my Pop, he'd love to meet you out there and take you for a spin thru the twisties!)

I would love to see the great motorcycle museum and I'll be there in mid-September. Would surely love to meet your Pop. I'm ready for a spin thru the twisties! Will PM you once the dates are finalized.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:48 am 

Motorcycle: 1986 Honda rebel 250
State/Province: FL
City: Venice
Looks like a great trip. Nice roads and scenery, how I wish Florida had great scenery like that to enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:30 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
One of the roads I ride when I visit the son in Flagstaff.