It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:13 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Bob--

that was likely a server hiccup as opposed to a forum software issue. Every once in a while, I'll spend an amount of time making a long or complicated post, only to 'time out' on submission and lose it.

It's too late now, but because of this, I tend to write my longer posts in word proccessing, then copy them into the text window, just in case.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Last edited by Duke on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:44 am 

State/Province: CA
City: Santa Monica
i just came across this thread because eventually i'd like to post links and photos, but i understand and respect the fact that i must EARN the right to do so.

it's refreshing that there seems to be no spam here, and i think it's reasonable to expect a waiting period before you can post photos and links. i think it's a fair exchange to insure that the forum contains only useful information and not spam advertisements. i have a hard enough time filtering through posts to get the information i need, and would hate to have to filter through advertisements and spam as well!

it's no fun running a forum, especially with NO MEMBER FEES, and i appreciate the fact that the administrators and moderators help out on just about every thread i've seen. i've learned a great deal from this forum and spend hours reading as much as i can.

the only exception to the rule would be if a new rider (like myself) had a problem easily diagnosed with a photo or audio file. for example, "do my spark plugs look okay?" or "does my engine idle sound rough to you?" etc. maybe there could be a protocol where an administrator could allow a new member to post one photo or audio file as a one time exception during the probationary period? just a thought...

i'd just like to say to the administrators/moderators that i appreciate the work that you've put into this forum and am glad that i wasn't around during all the spamming! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:47 am 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: Suzuki SV650, Suzuki DR200
Rebel: None
State/Province: OR
City: Corvallis
When others have had this request, usually someone volunteers to accept your link(s) as a private message or email. Then the volunteer posts it for the new person.

It's really impossible to have your cake and eat it too in this case. There's no way to tell any given new account from a spam bot.

If you really need something posted NOW, ask an admin and they'll post it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:51 pm 
Forum Administrator

Hey--

Thank you both for understanding :D

And yes, we have plenty of helpful folks for those "I just can't explain it without this link" moments.

Plugs are pretty easy, though.
MR has a plug reading guide with a couple dozen examples shot through a couple of dozen posts; maybe more. Try the FAQ for that one.

In an absolute pinch, images can be posted to your Garage, which is available immediately.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:29 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

State/Province: MD
City: Woodsboro
I'm new to the site. I'm posting in an effort to get my count up. I understand the need to limit the accessibility to posting images. My opinion is for the Admins to do what ever it takes to run the site the way they need. I'm loving this site so far and hopefully will become a member in good standing.

As far as scaring off new members... Well, perhaps this will give them more incentive to post a little more often.

I guess one thing I'll be doing is getting a better image hosting to make easier access to my images. It's more than enough work to keep a site like this running. And I'd hate that for any of my posts to cause extra work.

1986 Honda CMX450C - Jola
1978 Honda GL1000 - Piper

Post subject: What a pain, and totally unnessessary
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:33 pm 

I run this same forum software. Most times users have a specific question, as I do. They come in, they post their questions, and pictures really help, and then they are gone. But, the pictures are around for future users to see and many times get their questions answered.

Why don't you just switch to a more effective Captcha? Then you won't have spammers even joining your forum instead of alienating your new users? I would suggest better_captcha101.

--ja

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:40 pm 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
Hello,

Don't know the answer to that one but the garage will allow pictures and if needed others will post pictures for newbie's as we can.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:40 pm 
Forum Administrator

Valid question.

And the honest answer (which is the way I prefer to go) is that I use what I understand, what I know, and what I can handle.

And that ain't much. ;)

The best parts of this are

ease, convenience (I work 2 jobs, DJ works enough hours to qualify as two jobs), simplicity (cause that's a must ;) ) and it's fairly self-piloting.

That, and the hit-and-run type problems as you suggest are up on the board forever, with all the answers etc.

All of them, from every single person who has ever hit-and-run asked it before. Generally, given the tendency of this board to attract long-term membership, someone already knows if and where it's been posted before.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:03 pm 

I'm young enough to be here and old enough to not be bothered by the rules

:wink:

Thanks for the link to this page and all the good work laid down before I got here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:36 pm 

you're more than welcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:48 pm 

State/Province: MD
City: Bowie
Has anyone else had issues posting images to the garage section? I keep getting the error message below when I try to load photos of my bike.

"No GD Configured In PHP Build

Your build of PHP is missing the required GDv2 library that is used for all image processing.
Any item you were creating will have been created but no image attached. Please configure your PHP build with GDv2 and try again."

How do I fix this guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:20 pm 

:?: How does that read in English :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:01 am 
Forum Administrator

You can't fix it at the moment.

It's something we're working on.

Sorry for the nuisance ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:07 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Lubbock
I'm new and wanted to share my bike with other members. I understand the reasons behind these restrictions, no one hates spam junk more than me still...this sucks just as much. I know catch 22.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:36 pm 
Forum Administrator

The difference, though--

is that this sucks for a very short time.
This also sucks for each person, but only for that first very short time.

Spam sucks forever, and it sucks for everybody, each and every time.

Maybe a Catch-11 ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:55 am 

State/Province: CA
City: Santa Rosa
That happen to me once too. It happens.

When I asked Duke about it, he gave me some good advise: write up any lengthy post in your word processor first, then cut and past it to the forum. That way if a glitch does happen and the post gets lost in the ethernet, you can repost it easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:10 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Lubbock
Okay so I'm still waiting to post some pix of my Reb, when this great miracle occurs will I be notified or do I just have to keep trying? Also this delay, is it the same for posting links or adding pix via photobucket? Just curious...can't wait to show her off to everyone, you know how that is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:35 pm 
Forum Administrator

Right.

Any link-- photolink, site link, whatever.

And without saying too much,

at the rate you're going, you'll be there before the week's out ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:11 am 

State/Province: OH
City: Dayton
It's a great policy. A small price to pay for us new people to keep spammers off the site.

Post subject: witless post towards required post count
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:59 am 

your forum, your rules . in order to receive benefits of community, I have to follow rules as well. No fuss from here!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next