It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How do I post a picture/change font/make a hyperlink?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:47 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
To post a picture, you must first have it hosted somewhere on the net.
We rent space from a commercial interest, so we don't host them here.

There are a number of places that host photos for free, such as ImageStation, Photobucket, and somewhere around a million others.

It is vital, however, that you find one that lets other sites pull from it. Many websites-- such as anything on Angelfire and others-- will not allow this to happen. But this tends to a be a webpage thing; most photo hosting sites will let pics be copied directly from them.

Then you need to know the address of the photo. If you don't know where it is, neither will this site.

Okay,

this is how you do it. Remember that in the following example, all "*" symbols should be replaced with the "/" symbol, and all "$" symbols should be replaced with ":" symbols.

The substitution is so that I can actually put up the 'formula' as it were, and not just pop up a picture of your bike.

You will type this:

[img]http$**

and then you will type the URL that your picture is at. Do not put any spaces between the first part (above) and the URL.

And then you will type this:
[*img] Do not put any spaces between the URL of your picture and this last bit of instruction.

So when you are done, you will have something like this:

[img]http$**webpages.charter.net*jeffwaters2*[*img]

except, of course, that it will have ":" instead of "$" and it will have "/" instead of "*".

And when you do it completely right, it will look like this:

If you are feeling really suave, you can even put up little italicized captions in different sized fonts, just for that special touch, like this:

Jeff's way cool custom Rebel ground pounder!!!!

But that's all up to how you feel, of course.

It took me some time to notice this, actually, but the actual instructions for everything that you can do in a post are right there on the 'post reply' page. You don't even have to know how to use the buttons.

Just move your mouse (moose if you are from Virginia or Canadia) over to the button that does what you want it to do. Don't click the button; just touch it.

If you look closely, right above the text box and under the font information boxes, you will see an example of that very function written out. Note that there is more than one way to do anything that you might want to do; use only one set of instructions, or you will either goof it up, or do it twice!

Now if you are really careful to bring the mouse back from that button to the text box without touching any other buttons, then the instructions will remain their until either you touch another button or submit your post.

This goes for creating a hyperlink and for changing the fonts as well.

One word of caution about changing fonts:
When you use the buttons to make the changes, the changes will begin _after_ the very last thing typed in your reply. So you need to either be sure that you have stopped typing and are ready now for the font change, or you will need to cut and paste the change instructions and put them where you want them (affected text should be between the opening and closing instructions).

Probably the easiest thing to do is to go ahead and type what you want to say, and then highlight all the text you want affected. Hit the appropriate buttons, and it will change all the highlighted text-- a lot like most word proccessors do.

And that should pretty well cover anything fancy that you want to do in your post.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject: Re: How do I post a picture/change font/make a hyperlink?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:32 am 

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=2879

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=3268

donna wrote:
---- here goes.

how does one get a part of someone elses thread into their reply post? you know, so that others will know what that person's reply is about.

thankyou,

~donna~

to quote ....

1) - read THAT person's post .... then notice in the very upper right corner of that segment is a QUOTE button ... hit it ..... WALA(sic) ...... a reply box with a pre-formatted QUOTE section pops up ... BE SURE that your reply is AFTER the closing /quote switch .... the [ brackets ] are command parameter switches .. [on] [/off] ......

you can DELETE some of the quote sections you do not wish to include and keep the parts that you refer to ....

JoeKewl wrote:
Copy and Paste should do it!

Respectfully,

Joe

not quite ....

you CAN include a manual typed [on] switch*
(subsitute QUOTE for 'on' between the brackets - no spaces inside*)
THEN ..... "Copy and Paste should do it!" ..... BUT
be sure to close the quote section with the [/off] switch
(subsitute /QUOTE for '/off' between the brackets - no spaces inside)

=====

**NOTE: ... the QUOTE [on] switch also requests an additional parameter which is :

QUOTE="membernamequoted"
and yes those "marks" are required

or as seen with command brackets :
[on="membernamequoted"]

(subsitute QUOTE for 'on' between the brackets - no spaces inside*)

=

the closing [/off] /QUOTE switch is unchanged

=====

RELATED NOTES :

A) - you might now notice that on YOUR thread segments you see an EDIT button next to that QUOTE button ..... these are only on YOUR posts and only when you are LOGGED IN .... these allow you to EDIT your previous posts for spelling or other errata or admendum or what'eva ...

B) - and if yours is the very last most recent post on a topic - you can see an 'X' button - which is the DELETE/REMOVE button and pops up a yes/no confirmation window to allow you to second think your postings .....

C) - for the moderators these buttons are on EVERYONES postings along with whatever additional buttons the admin wishes to assign to mod status ....

=====
further notes and information :

additional [on][/off] command brackets switchs are ......

subsitute [x] [/x] for the 'on' '/off' between the brackets
where 'x' is ....

b .... bold
u .... underline
url ... insert a hot LINK to whatever url addy you put between the [on]?[/off] brackets
img ... insert a ONLINE URL for a pic to display - same url bracket deal as above

in the case of a pic url ... you can change it from an active display to a hot link simply by canging the on/off commands from 'img' to 'url' form

differance is you either see the actual pic image - or - a text url link to the pic

PLUS : for more reading......

look to the lower right of the REPLY text typing box for the OPTIONS list
click on the link for BBCode
http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/faq.php?mode=bbcode
or
go up to the top left center of ANY forum page
right before the SEARCH button is an FAQ button
http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/faq.php

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:01 pm 
Forum Administrator

Oh yeah--

I forgot about the quote questions.

And the 'how do I fix' questions.

If you have ever put up a post with an error you would like to correct, pull up that post as if you were reading it nomally. Next to the quote button is an edit button.

Pressing that button will take you back to the post reply screen, complete with the text of the post itself. Make your changes, and click submit. It will not double-post; it will simply apply your corrections to the current post.

Note that you can also delete your posts completely by pressing the x button in that same corner, so long as your post is the last post in the thread. As soon as someone else posts after you, you lose the option to delete (though you can still edit).

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:37 pm 

MillenniumRebel wrote:

FURTHER NOTES :

additional [on][/off] command brackets switchs are ......

subsitute [x] [/x] for the 'on' '/off' between the brackets
where 'x' is ....

url ... insert a hot LINK to whatever url addy you put between the [on]?[/off] brackets

[ url=theACTUALurladdresshere]text you want to SHOW[ /url]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:39 am 
Forum Moderator

State/Province: MN
City: Fergus Falls
I don't want to add too much else to this post, but here's another good example for posting a link and a picture:

Posting a link:
[url=http://www.someurl.com]Text users see goes here[/url]

Posting a picture:
[img]http://www.your-pictures-host.com/mypicture.jpg[/img]

This is the exact way to write out the code. It shows up properly in this post because I disabled the bbcode in this post.

Tom O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:19 am 

MillenniumRebel wrote:
Millennium Rebel wrote:
give me time to do a outline and I'll explain about p-numbers and t-numbers for linking and quoting

it's from an other thread - but here we go :

MillenniumRebel wrote:
jeff schenkel wrote:
this is the official reminder announcement, folks!

unfortunately, we kind of rambled into the ride information this year on an on-going post.

you can see it here for the info but you have to scroll down a ways to actually find anything:

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=8460

bottom line -- the ride is saturday morning may 26 to palm springs, with a short run up through the mountains to oak glen through apple country.

come on down -- this is year four in the series and we're looking forward to the best ride yet.

take the thread url

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=8460

find the specific post you want to link to ...
open in new window - Quote it - stop - look for the LAST PART of the url for the p=#### post addy - snag that 'p=####' end part

cut/copy/paste to the end of the t=#### thread addy url above so that it now looks like this

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/view ... 1562#91562

ie: remove the 't=number' from the view thread requester
subsitute the 'p=number#number' to tell it to view the post - and to start at that post (rather than page top)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:23 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Lubbock
I guess I'm just not getting it, I'll try some other time. Still hopeful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:37 pm 
Forum Administrator

You've still got a couple days.

You'll be fine ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:46 am 

Quote:
I guess I'm just not getting it, I'll try some other time. Still hopeful

why New Members can't post pics ...

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=9404

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:14 pm 

State/Province: FL
City: Edgewater
hmm, I'll have to go over all this info slowly. I'm just a Kentucky boy.
We do good just turning on a computer.