It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Resetting your password
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:37 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Since the software update, the most common issues that I am hearing about relate to navigating the new profile page(s). As the most common question is "where is my password / how do I reset my password?" I have opted to take a few minutes to do a simple walk-through on changing your password and / or your e-mail address. I'm afraid there is no way to see your current password, so you will need to remember it or have an admin force change it for you.

Step 1: go to the "profile" button: it's one of the white word links in the black bar directly under the header (for those of you who haven't found it yet). This takes you to your main User Control Panel.

Step 2 : Look to your left. You will see a small inset box with a black bar at the top. Inside the bar is the heading "Options." Inside this box is a menu of buttons that gives you more controls and options than were available on the old software. By default, the "Overview" option is open, revealing a sub-menu.

Step 3 : Continue on down past the Overview sub-menu. The next heading is "Profile." Click this button to access your actual User Profile. The Overview sub-menu will close and the Profile sub-menu will open. The options her are "Edit profile," "Edit signature," and "Edit account settings."

Step 4 : Click the "Edit account settings" option. Look back to the main box (center of the page) You will see the options "Username," "E-mail address," "Confirm E-mail address," "New password," and "Confirm new password." This is very much like the old User Profile on the old board; the only difference is it is now in its own little place instead of on your main page.

Step 5 : To change your password, you will need to enter the new password in the "New password" box. Then you will need to enter it again in the "Confirm password" box.

Step 6 : This is a new bit. You will need to enter your _current_ password (not the one you wish to use after the change) in this box or no change will take place. (This is the same if you want to change your e-mail address.)

Step 7 : Click "submit." The change should occur within a few moments. If you wish, you can log out and log back in with your new password (if that's what you changed) to confirm. If not, log back in with your "old" password. If it still works, then the change did not happen and you will need to try again. If you cannot log in with your old password, then the change is still processing (every now and again, the server is doing something else that makes it a tiny bit slower than usual) and you will be able to log in with your new info momentarily.

That's all there is to it. It looks long written out like this, but I was trying to be as thorough as possible to make this as painless as possible.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]