It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Outbox vs. Sentbox
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:14 pm 

Motorcycle: 2009 Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: WA
City: Seattle
I recently received a PM which I replied to via this site. The message I sent is sitting in the "Outbox" and not the "Sentbox" folder. Does this mean the PM was not sent? In the parlance of say MS Outlook, the "outbox" would contain unsent messages which is why I am wondering what it may mean here.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:49 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
From what I know, an outgoing PM sits in the outbox until the other person picks it up then it is put in the sent box

'61 Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:04 pm 

Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Round Rock
Mine does the same and never makes it to the recipient. That's why I'm always saying not to IM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:55 am 

Thanks for the responses. This is pretty frustrating. I now have 2 responses sitting in the "outbox" and no other way to respond to a person who was trying to ask me a question. Unfortunately there is no email attached to the person's name. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:03 am 

C6Silver wrote:
Thanks for the responses. This is pretty frustrating. I now have 2 responses sitting in the "outbox" and no other way to respond to a person who was trying to ask me a question. Unfortunately there is no email attached to the person's name. :x

I received one a week or so ago from a member asking how I was doing. All I could do was make a post to her on the thread regarding my health.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:46 pm 

Wyldman wrote:
C6Silver wrote:

I received one a week or so ago from a member asking how I was doing. All I could do was make a post to her on the thread regarding my health.

Do we know if anyone is looking into this issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:20 pm 

Don't know if anyone else is having the same problem. My 'puters old and I figured it was probably the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:40 pm 

Actually it turns out that Buickguy above is correct. Fridgitator did a test with me and he got my message which did move from "outbox" to "sentbox" after he picked it up. While it seems an odd way to work, it does appear to work nonetheless. So it would seem that your messages should have been sent correctly as well. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:44 pm 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
City: Dallas
It looks like they sit in your outbox until they are opened. That's a nice feature in that you know if it was read without needing a 'read receipt' like in Outlook, but it is a tad confusing if you don't know if you sent it or not.

Loud ties save lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:27 pm 

Fridgitator wrote:
It looks like they sit in your outbox until they are opened. That's a nice feature in that you know if it was read without needing a 'read receipt' like in Outlook, but it is a tad confusing if you don't know if you sent it or not.

I think you are right, however, as you said it is confusing. I think most would be coming from the Outlook based definition. Before posting I read through the help section as well, but it didn't say anything. I do think this should be noted.

Whether someone reads an email you sent, such as the case with Outlook, is much different than tracking someone reading a PM. In the case of Outlook, the sender and the precipitant aren't necessarily on the same system (as is the case with general internet email) and so it doesn't know whether someone read the email or not without doing some kind of permission based email back. In the case of PM, however, it is all contained on the same non-email based system so it is quite easy for the forum software to know what state the PM is in. So it really isn't fair to compare with Outlook other than via the definition of "outbox" as discussed.

Really appreciate you doing that test with me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:58 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
City: Plano (dallas)
C6Silver wrote:
Do we know if anyone is looking into this issue?

It's not an issue if it works exactly as it is supposed to.

"Outbox" is where PMs you've sent go to until whoever they were sent to logs in to read them.

"Sentbox" is where PMs you've sent go to when someone has read them.

If the recipient never logs in to check their PMs, your messages will always sit in "Outbox" as they should, since they haven't been delivered (read) yet.

Most likely if you PM someone and they never read it (I.e. it never moves from Out to Sent), there are 2 reasons:
1) Their email address is wrong, so they never received notice of the PM and haven't logged in since you sent it, or,
2) They're ignoring their PM box entirely.

It works just the way it's supposed to.

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:01 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
City: Plano (dallas)
C6Silver wrote:
So it really isn't fair to compare with Outlook other than via the definition of "outbox" as discussed.

Especially since phpBB has been around longer than Outlook. ;)

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:51 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
The most likely reason that no one has replied to your PM is because they have their profile set so as to _not_ notify them that they have a new PM (if it is set to notify you, you get a pop-up as soon as you log in). Their profile is also probably set so that they don't get an e-mail that notifies them of a new PM. Thus, it depends entirely on them hitting the "messages" tab to go to their PM box and find the new message.

It's difficult to initiate contact with someone whose IM box doesn't give them notice, as you are pretty much stuck until the mood strikes them to go take a peek about their Messages menu.

As for returning a reply, again-- if they don't have notifications, they may well have forgotten that they sent something to you in the first place, and simply neglect looking for a reply.

However, as DJ stated, it's not an issue when it something works precisely as it should. In this case, it works precisely as it should. The problems are with human errors, and there is little that can legally be done about that ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:04 pm 

Motorcycle: 2006 Rebel 250
City: Metro Atlanta
Mine has sent a notification to my personal email but I could not get to the pm to open it--it did not go into my box. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:39 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
City: Vidalia
There shouldn't be a direct link from the e-mail. That way, if the e-mail is sent to an erroneous box, the recipient can't get into your PM box. You'll have to go to the board and log in, etc (unless you have selected "always log me in" or whatever it's called on the log-in screen.

Also remember this:

Up until it actually becomes "Sent," -- that is, the entire time that it is just in the Outbox but not in the Sent box, the sender can opt to delete it. Unfortunately, you don't get notification of that (you don't have a PM; just thought you'd like to know..." :lol: ).

You may have run afoul of something like that.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:58 pm 

Motorcycle: 2006 Rebel 250
City: Metro Atlanta
Duke: I had logged in and looked from there, but maybe it was the other issue (the deleting thing). It's been resolved now for that message, anyway. Thanks!