It is currently Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How many miles, and maintenance?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 pm 

Motorcycle: Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: FL
City: Pompano
I've just surpassed the 15k miles mark on mine; without as much as a hiccup on problems.
Absolutely zero maintenance done, aside from regular oil changes and fuelups. Not even a valve adjustment or check up. My first checkup will be in 1k mile, at 16k miles.

I did check up on the fuel filter, but I only ride it in the city/suburan areas, clean (not dusty) air. It was still clean enough and didn't need replacement.

I've installed quite the amount of sprockets on my Rebel.
I found:
Stock 14/33t Not pleasant for city riding; lots of vibrations.
Modified 15/30t: Standard gearing. Pretty blah...
Modified 15/28t: Long gearing (I liked these), best acceleration
Modified 15/25t: Eco gearing. Slightly too long gearing, but excellent fuel mileage. Top speed is somewhat lower.

I'm going to replace the stock chain at 16k miles, as well as the rear sprocket to a 26t one, as it will give me better top speed for the interstate.

Both stock tires needed replacement at 15k miles.
I replaced the front one with a cheap $38 Michelin moped tire, and the rear with a cheap $60 Kenda tire.

I've also installed an inline fuel filter between the tank and the carburetor; very necessary if you ask me...

I've replaced one spark plug at 15k miles, not that it was necessary, but it was the one on the opposite side of the side stand. Turns out rain collects there, as the bike is standing out in the elements, and the plug was a little rusty outside. Still good, didn't need replacement, but changed it anyway.

Little superficial rust formation on the pipes, the sidestand peg, and the rims, but nothing a bit of coca cola could take care of!

For the rest, all electrics still work the way they should.
I do have sometimes that the gearbox jumps out of gear into Neutral, mostly second gear, sometimes first gear... Happens about once per ride...

I mainly brake with front brakes, the pads still seem to have 50% life on them.
The rear brakes have over 75% life on them. I usually press the rear brake lightly, and compensate extra braking with it, when the front brake isn't braking enough (eg: for fast stops).

I usually either baby the Rebel in the city, or go ALL OUT on the interstate (top speed WOT rides for 30 to 45 minutes per ride).

my only complaint about the Rebel is that it's sometimes not fast enough on the interstate, and that I always accidentally hit the horn, when I want to use the blinkers.
The choke also is way too rich, even at the minimum setting. Not that I need it much, just the first 30 to 60 seconds.

Who's got the most miles on their Rebel, and what maintenance you needed?

Post subject: Re: How many miles, and maintenance?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:48 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Are you saying that you have not checked the valve clearance?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
MeeLee wrote:
my only complaint about the Rebel is that it's sometimes not fast enough on the interstate, and that I always accidentally hit the horn, when I want to use the blinkers.

I would hazard a guess and say if this is a problem then it isn't a Rebel issue. If you try any other bike that isn't a Harley you'll find the horn and directional switches are in the same place as they are on the Rebel.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:19 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Hmmm. Maybe this is why, in large cities, it seems no one uses their turn signals but everyone seems to use their horn?
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:33 am 
Forum Moderator

It's rather congested here but I use my signals religiously. The horn, not so much...but using one finger does seem to compensate for that. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:25 am 

The blinker switch on my Rebel is hard plastic, without much grip.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

MeeLee wrote:
The blinker switch on my Rebel is hard plastic, without much grip.

Again, no different from any other non-Harley switch.

Seriously, walk into any Honda dealership and you'll find that exact same Rebel turn signal switch on EVERY model on the showroom floor. Ditto for any used Honda they have sitting outside as well.

If that dealer happens to be a multi-brand/non-HD, you'll find a very similar design in the exact same location on those bikes too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
City: Fredericton
Shack, Just so you don't think HD has a monopoly on odd turn signal switches, you should check out BMWs. My last 3 have a thumb operated blade switch on the underside of each handlebar switch and a third cancel switch under the right grip that is operated by pushing up on it. They also self cancel if you forget.
this setup got a lot of abuse by people who lack the logical minds of German motorcycle engineers, and I think BMW finally got on board with the conventional left handlebar multi purpose switch, but I have to say, I find the left and right blade switches to be perfectly intuitive. Turn left, push left.... sound familiar? :D

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:27 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
The ones I hated the most were on an old Shadow I was working on for a friend, many, many, _many_ moons ago:

One switch. It did left turn, right turn, headlight dip, signal cancel, all at once. It was just a terrible, terrible thing with a nasty hair trigger and a tendency to get staggeringly drunk when no one was looking.....

Second worst was an HD with left-and-right mounted individual buttons that _had to be held in the pushed position_. As soon as you let off the button, it stopped blinking. Amazingly stupid idea, that was, but not as bad as the almost-joystick thingy.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well then you have the Norton Commando. It has a single up and down blade switch. You just have to remember if up is left or right. It keeps blinking until you flip it back to center.

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:46 am 
Forum Moderator

Duckster wrote:
Shack, Just so you don't think HD has a monopoly on odd turn signal switches, you should check out BMWs.

I figured someone else utilized one switch per grip but I couldn't comment with accuracy. I'm sure there are other dofferent methods out there somewhere, I just wanted to point out is that this perceived issue isn't a Rebel issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:15 am 

State/Province: WA
City: Central
I like the ones on a couple of the BMW's I have. Left turn is on the left side, right is on the right side. Paddle switches. Love 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:33 am 
Forum Moderator

Shadow Shack wrote:
Duckster wrote:
Shack, Just so you don't think HD has a monopoly on odd turn signal switches, you should check out BMWs.

I figured someone else utilized one switch per grip but I couldn't comment with accuracy. I'm sure there are other dofferent methods out there somewhere, I just wanted to point out is that this perceived issue isn't a Rebel issue.

Certainly the Rebel type switch is the industry standard today. Left or right, push in to cancel. Very intuitive and simple.

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

The alternative of course is hand signals.

To which nobody today knows what the hell you'd be signalling...seriously, try it once in a while and note the confusion from the drivers seats in your rear view mirrors.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:44 pm 

Duckster wrote:
Shadow Shack wrote:
Duckster wrote:

Certainly the Rebel type switch is the industry standard today. Left or right, push in to cancel. Very intuitive and simple.

It's not in how it operates, but my gloves have hard plastic on the fingers,
The Rebel is the ONLY motorcycle out of a bunch I've ridden, that has a blinker where my thumb seems to auto slide off the binker, straight on the horn.
I don't know if it perhaps has to do with the location of the horn, the smaller handlebars, but my thumb often hits the horn unintentionally.
I don't seem to be the only one. Some other dudes actually complained about it, and it was then that I noticed, "yes, I too am having an issue with this!"

My Shadow had a larger handlebar, and the blinker switch was matte, not glossy. Same with my GS, and even my scooters had better blinker switch grip than the Rebel; although I like the Rebel's feel feedback. Some switches like the Shadow, didn't have that faint 'click' feeling, so I'd never know when I was in neutral or not without looking.
The chinese scooters had a hard plasticky click feel to it, that felt cheap. Honda does a much better job with their Rebels.

The ribs on the black glossy blinker switch, also don't help with grip... just saying...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Maybe you need a different grade of dielectric grease for better switch performance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:22 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
Isn't there some sort of paint-on/dip-in rubber compound that people use on tool handles? Might work to increase the grippyness of your switch.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:44 am 
Forum Moderator

Or get some new gloves. The turn signal switch is just not an issue for most of us. You don't really grip the switch handle as much as just swipe it in either direction.

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:40 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
wheezeburnt wrote:
Isn't there some sort of paint-on/dip-in rubber compound that people use on tool handles? Might work to increase the grippyness of your switch.
brent

Plasti-Dip.

In my own experience, it makes things _slicker_, though. :(

Really great (if you can get it to coat evenly :roll: ) if you've got tools that get exposed to a lot of grease and gunk, as cleaning them up becomes a snap.

However, like any other "liquid vinyl," I find the cons outweigh the pros. :(

Unless you're looking for an easily-reversible paint job, of course. :lol:

Youtube up "dip your car" and have fun. I had the kids convinced that cars molted as they grew and the molting would expose their "adult paint." :D

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:12 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
MeeLee: I am still interested in whether you have checked the valve clearance in this 15K mile history that you presented.

As for the blinker situation, would this help?