It is currently Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How many miles on your stock tires?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:24 am 

Motorcycle: Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: FL
City: Pompano
I've got mine for 15k miles.
At 10k miles, the dealership said I had to change them, but I saw no reason why.
Now they start looking like slicks, and the rear tire is more looking like a car tire, with a flat surface from the long highway miles, instead of rounded off...

I think I can still do about 2 to 3k miles on them, but not a lot more.
I'd say they where rated for 20k miles at best.

Your tires?

Post subject: Re: How many miles on your stock tires?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:30 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Given that bike manufacturers tend to put low quality ( but brand name) tires on their new bikes, I'd say those tires don't owe you much.
How do the wear indicators look? (or are they gone?)
Do you ever ride in the rain?
I'm kind of a big believer in the 'wear bar' concept when it comes to automotive tires, but particularly when I'm riding on only two at a time, and the contact patch is so small.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:26 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
City: Fredericton
Once the tread is gone, bike tires will hydroplane on wet pavement just like a car. Perhaps more importantly, the tire carcass becomes thin and more subject to puncture and sudden failure. Tube type tires can go flat suddenly at highway speed, resulting in possible loss of control of the bike. I once lost the front tire on a Honda 305 at 50 mph and it was quite exciting getting stopped.

A third reason to change tires when they reach the wear bars is the flattening off of the tire profile that you refer to. Conservative riders who use very little of the sides of their tire treads when cornering will develop a very flat profile with sharp edges that makes cornering less stable. When new tires are fitted, it restores the original handling of the bike.
Tires are in the same category as drive chains in that it's not good to try to squeeze the last few miles of life out of them, since failure in service can be catastrophic.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:29 pm 

I still have profile on them, a few millimeters.
The front is still rounded off, so hydroplaning is less of an option there.
More of an option on the rear tire, where I have little thread left, and am basically riding a 'slick' tire.

By the way, if you ride conservatively, you'd probably be happy to know that the bike hasn't had a single valve adjustment in 15k miles; but is starting to show that it needs it (harder starts in cold weather, and idle below 900RPM without choke cold).

My last issue is when I turn the handlebars to the right (completely) the bike stalls.
Anyone has that issue as well?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
MeeLee wrote:
Now they start looking like slicks, and the rear tire is more looking like a car tire, with a flat surface from the long highway miles, instead of rounded off...

You have already exceeded the tire's lifespan. You are past the point of needing new tire(s) and if you continue to ride as such, you'll eventually come to the point where you'll need other parts that get wrecked as the result from NOT getting the new tire(s).

The full lock turn/stall sounds like a binding choke cable, try re-routing that.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:39 am 

Shadow Shack wrote:
MeeLee wrote:

You have already exceeded the tire's lifespan. You are past the point of needing new tire(s) and if you continue to ride as such, you'll eventually come to the point where you'll need other parts that get wrecked as the result from NOT getting the new tire(s).

The full lock turn/stall sounds like a binding choke cable, try re-routing that.

Could happen even with new tires.
Despite it looking almost like slicks, I have a friend who rode the tires all the way down to the thread, before replacing them.
Mine still has quite an amount of rubber left on them, but I'm already ordering new ones.
It'll be a job for me in a few weeks, when they arrive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:00 am 
Forum Moderator

Sounds like a good plan. Hope you enjoy those new tires.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:29 am 
Forum Moderator

MeeLee wrote:
I still have profile on them, a few millimeters.
The front is still rounded off, so hydroplaning is less of an option there.
More of an option on the rear tire, where I have little thread left, and am basically riding a 'slick' tire.

Even if your bald tire has a perfectly round profile, (like a racing motorcycle slick) it will hydroplane. Watch some motorcycle roadracing in the rain. They run rain tires with a grooved tread to channel water away from the contact patch and allow the rubber to make good contact with the road. Standard racing slick tires are very dangerous on a wet road. This is why street tires need tread, to channel water away and allow the rubber to make good contact with the pavement.

MeeLee wrote:
By the way, if you ride conservatively, you'd probably be happy to know that the bike hasn't had a single valve adjustment in 15k miles; but is starting to show that it needs it (harder starts in cold weather, and idle below 900RPM without choke cold).

The need for valve adjustment has nothing to do with how you ride, and there is no virtue in running as long as possible without one. You should not be riding until the engine is showing symptoms of badly adjusted valves, because that means the valves may already be damaged. If the valves get too tight, the seats can be burnt by escaping gases causing permanent damage. It's better to adjust too often than not enough.

MeeLee wrote:
My last issue is when I turn the handlebars to the right (completely) the bike stalls.
Anyone has that issue as well?

As noted previously, sounds like your choke cable is misrouted so it is binding and applying choke when the handlebar is turned.

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
MeeLee wrote:
Shadow Shack wrote:
MeeLee wrote:

The full lock turn/stall sounds like a binding choke able, try re-routing that.

Could happen even with new tires.

What could happen with new tires?

Exceeding the lifespan? Sure, but not before logging a few years/thousands of miles in order to wear them out first.

Past the point of needing new tires? Not if you have new tires, methinks. Unless of course you bought new to you used tires that is. Or unused tires that sat on a shelf for a decade perhaps.

Riding on new tires will cause you to crash? Only if they're underinflated. Otherwise it will be rider error that causes the crash.

Cause the choke cable to bind? Only if you have a really long choke cable threaded between the front tire and fender.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:29 am 

I have handlebar risers, and think that this could be the cause! (necessary for anyone over 6" on a Rebel, or new handlebars, not to bump the knee on the handles).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Then I'd suspect the cable routing/distance as the culprit. (you meant 6', not 6", right?)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:31 am 
Forum Moderator

MeeLee wrote:
I have handlebar risers, and think that this could be the cause! (necessary for anyone over 6" on a Rebel, or new handlebars, not to bump the knee on the handles).

Well not strictly necessary. I've learned to simply roll my knees out of the way when maneuvering at low speeds. The stock handlebars are fine for all other riding.

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:50 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
MeeLee wrote:
I have handlebar risers, and think that this could be the cause!.

It's possible. Depends on the height of the risers; you might have put the chock cable in a bind. Still, it won't hurt to check the routing, etc.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."