It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: gearing mod
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:34 am 

Rebel: 250
State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
ProDigit wrote:
In South Florida, we have no winds.

Wait... there's no wind in South Florida? Why on earth are there so many sailing schools down there, then? I'm sure I have relatives who've sailed down there, and they didn't SAY they needed a motor to do it.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
Not to mention those annual storm seasons involving huge clouds that have eyes.

FWIW this thread is in its final resting place (Joker's Cafe) for a good reason...

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:33 pm 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
Yep. That piece in particular just made me laugh, and I couldn't help commenting on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

There are a lot of precious gems like that in this thread...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:33 am 

Motorcycle: Suzuki C50; BMW G650GS
Rebel: None
State/Province: IN
City: Scottsburg
Hmm, no winds in south Florida, I guess I was imagining I had to lean my bike at a 45' angle for 7 miles to go straight on 7 mile bridge down Hwy 1. I travel to the Ocala/Crystal River/Homosassa/Gainesville area 3-4 times a year. I must be imagining those winds that like to blow me all around on US19, FL24, FL40, US41, US441: have to admit, while I am down there I ride my Kawa KLX250SF which I keep in storage down there, and it does sit higher than the Rebel. I have literally ridden thousands of miles in Florida, around Ocala and in the past 8 years, I may have seen ONE rebel in the area.

Oh Shadow Shack, those clouds with eyes hasn't made an appearance in Florida in at least 8 years (they are knocking on wood, they are due). I make that many trips each year, my wife lives between Gainesville, Ocala, Crystal River area-so does my snow bird riding neighbor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

davidc83 wrote:
Oh Shadow Shack, those clouds with eyes hasn't made an appearance in Florida in at least 8 years

That's only because the current president hasn't figured out how to work the top secret CIA hurricane remote control to send one that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:44 pm 

Maybe I'm just dense in the head, but why is this thread in "Joker's Cafe"?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Well ,, long story there.. If you read the whole thing you'll see that it was a bit controversial in places.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:26 pm 

Duckster wrote:
Well ,, long story there.. If you read the whole thing you'll see that it was a bit controversial in places.

Duckster- Please don't take offense, but I'd be hard pressed to read 11 pages of the most comical, thought-provoking, or erotic prose ever penned, if none of the good parts didn't start until page 10 or 11.
But then again, I'm a "Knuckle-Walker".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:32 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Frankenpickle wrote:
But then again, I'm a "Knuckle-Walker".

I prefer the term "swamp scoggin" myself. :lol:

Short version:

The OP is a known troll (not just here, but on many other fora as well. In most other cases, he runs into typical forum dwellers: people willing to accept pretty much anything they see in print. You know: the folks that copy headlines from the Onion to their Facebook account and begin screaming about how awful it is that such a thing could be true. :lol:

Unfortunately for him, the goal of this board is such that it has attracted a more unusual crowd: people looking for hard, proven, reliable advice and solid facts. So he was immediately questioned.

He responded with more assertions and unsubstantiated claims. He was met with more questions, and additional questions about why he hadn't answered the first questions.

He responded with even crazier claims and assertions.

He has yet to acknowledge a still-standing offer to come and witness any one of these claims (he's a simple day trip from where I live; I'm willing to witness and, if even a single thing he has posted is in fact true, I will happily testify on his behalf. He has never acknowledged this. The only direct replies he has ever made are threats of violence against those who continue to request any sort of verification.

His claims got more and more ludicrous, to the point that they were actually getting really, really funny (consider his most recent claim: there is no wind in Florida. This is hard to reconcile with ocean breezes, magnificent seasonal storms, and of course insane amounts of annual hurricane damage). To sum up the bulk of his mechanical claims (at least up until my most recent assassination), he has modified his gearing so tall that he would need a Detroit marine diesel to get the thing rolling, yet is able to hit redline in top gear as well as go as slow as thirty and pull u-turns without downshifting or in any way lugging the engine.

The things he has posted as "science" are even more hilarious. So, as noted above, the entire thread was moved here both for the laughs it has yielded and as a warning for prospective future visitors to absolutely _not_ take any of this seriously.

"-- and knowing is half the battle!"

(The other half seems to be equal parts red lasers and blue lasers, if I recalls correctly)

;)

------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 pm 

Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Rebel
State/Province: TX
City: Houston
I have to put my two cents in because I changed the gearing on mine three times and I finally landed on one that works for my style of riding and consistently averages 50 - 53 mpg. I will say this much, I have never changed from the factory front 14 tooth sprocket and for good reason, this is minimal clearance for a 15 tooth and if your chain ever breaks then it will ball up in the housing and you can figure it out from there.
I have been hammered about the very same issue, but there are several variables and the most important one is the rider's weight. If you knew how to do the math calculations it is easy to determine a comparable ratio using a 14 tooth front sprocket. With my setup I lost 6.8% torque with the current setup that I have.
I prefer to have a bike that has consistent gas mileage and I just recently pushed it to the limits to find out, I drove 127 miles and it took 2.1 gallons to fill up without using reserve.
I installed a temporary tach and I can use my speedo as a tach because they are that close together, so I am not hammering the hell out my 250 when I am doing 60 because the rpms are 6k not 7k+, I care about my engine and the life of it. The difference is the same as having having high or low blood pressure, at some point in time it will take it's toll on the engine. The 250 is comparable to a one lunger because it may fire both cylinders at the same time but the power stroke is every 540 deg or 1 1/2 revolutions, if I am not mistaken. On e last thing, I do not ride when the ambient temperature is 85 deg.+ because an air cooled engine only gets hotter the longer you ride it. I have been riding over 50 years and I had a '87 Rebel for the hell of it but I kept riding customs until two years ago and decided to downsize because my wife does not want to ride at 70 years old, and I told her as long as I can I am. I am past that point in my life where looks and hp are the most important, I enjoy my 2016 Rebel and with the way it is setup it works for me. Gas mileage is not important, running it too lean at high rpms is detrimental to the engine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
112hp95ci wrote:
. The 250 is comparable to a one lunger because it may fire both cylinders at the same time but the power stroke is every 540 deg or 1 1/2 revolutions, if I am not mistaken..

The Rebel 250 is a 360 degree crankshaft engine. Both sparkplugs fire together on every revolution but only one cylinder is on a power stroke. The other is on the exhaust stroke and the spark is wasted. That is the engine produces power strokes every revolution or 360 degrees of crank revolution apart.

112hp95ci wrote:
On e last thing, I do not ride when the ambient temperature is 85 deg.+ because an air cooled engine only gets hotter the longer you ride it.

Small air cooled engines like the Rebel have over sized finning to radiate and convect heat away in the worse case scenario. These bikes are used everyday in places where the ambient temperature is seldom below 85. As long as you are using the proper oil (20W-50) in high ambient scenarios, the Rebel will run fine for years.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:03 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
I've probably said it before but for me, the main reason for using the OEM drive sprocket is to get the right spline fit. Too many after-market drive sprockets do not fit on smoothly and easily. I do my gearing changes at the rear wheel. My CRF230L has gone from a 39-tooth rear sprocket to a 48-tooth rear sprocket. The little beastie now climbs like a champ.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:03 pm 

Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Rebel
State/Province: TX
City: Houston
I do not disagree with you trying to improve you gas mileage but 100 mpg is not possible. If it was, then your poor engine is suffering one way or another. I modified my gear ratio on my 2016 Rebel and it consistently ranges from 50 - 53 mpg, I drove semi's for almost 12 years and over one million miles, and everyone is going to say what does that have to do with riding a motorcycle.

It has everything to do with it, in a semi it is necessary to have a tach. and to get the most out of your engine then you maintain a certain road speed/rpm for every gear. I started out with a 7 speed, 10 speed, 13, 15, 16 which was an air shift 4 x 4, 16 speed with two sticks and finally a 20 speed with two sticks 5 x 4, and it is no different for my little Rebel I changed the rear sprocket 3 times and finally I achieved my goal and that was to reduce the wear and tear on the engine due to the high rpm's and to spread the rpm's out over all of the gears, it cost me a little torque on the low end and again it is not a race bike. If you weigh 250 lbs versus me at 155 lbs then you would notice the difference, that is why I referred to driving a truck. Driving it loaded at 80k lbs versus empty at 35k - 40k lbs is a big difference, but the mileage never varies much because of the way it is geared and how you manage the throttle.

Yep, I know who is going to be the first to jump in hear and voice his two cents but it really does not matter to me because it is my motorcycle and if you think that Honda had the right idea, then that is your delegated opinion. Every time I go to Honda there are always a lot of motorcycles in the shop being repaired, I wonder why?

I will take a Chev. Surburban over any truck on the road and after owning four of them with 200K miles on each one, I have no complaints. It is all about how you take care of it, I hear the same ----- in my business everyday and I tell them, what did you do with the owner's manual throw it away with the box or eat it?

I just spent 40 hrs trying to help a young and dumb kid restore a 1983 Honda C70. and he would not listen to me, I told him after working on for 6 hours, you either need to find a new wiring harness and components or build a wiring harness but he was dead set on doing it his way. After about 40 hours I called him and told him to come and get it, when he got there I told him unless you can locate or build a new wiring harness this piece of ----- will never start or run because it has too many shorts from old and rotted wiring.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

Duckster wrote:
These bikes are used everyday in places where the ambient temperature is seldom below 85. As long as you are using the proper oil (20W-50) in high ambient scenarios, the Rebel will run fine for years.

I can confirm this, I live in Las Vegas where it finally broke below 80º last week, and we'll see 80+ again by late February/early March. We have five months of triple digit temps with highs creeping upwards of 120º. I run 20W50 for most of the year and have had no overheating issues since our first Rebel acquisition in 2003 (and we still have that bike too).

112hp95ci wrote:
I modified my gear ratio on my 2016 Rebel and it consistently ranges from 50 - 53 mpg

FWIW I regularly hit 70mpg on our all-stock 96 Rebel, with an all-time low of 63mpg. Even my stock 600 Shadow regularly gets 55-59mpg. 50-53 is what I used to see on my Shadow that sports a hypercharger & aftermarket pipes back when I had shorter gearing (more acceleration/less top end), but now that I reverted back to stock cogs it gets 55 or so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11