It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:06 am 

Rebel: 450
State/Province: AL
City: Magnolia Springs
battlewagon wrote:
How do you know when to replace the filter? How many miles generally, are they good for?

If you get the clear filter you can see when it needs to be changed.

Howard

Post subject: Re: Any experience with Peko filters
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:19 pm 

State/Province: OH
City: Zinzinnati
soprych wrote:
Saw this on JC Whitney, looks cool, but maybe a bit of overkill for a 250. You can buy little replacement filters to change out the filtering element. Does anyone have experience with these filters?

I tried one on my streetfighter for a short period of time, it kept up with the demand from the 4-28mm pumper's I have on that bike but I didn't like the fact that it was glass and upon removing it I found that the element had deformed a bit. Nothing bad just another reason to switch to a Fram filter (that bike has more room than the Rebel so I don't recommend it).

You might want to consider the "daddy" of filters but be prepared for the cost, Pingel isn't cheap... $28.95 but you don't have to replace the element as often since it's bronze as it can be cleaned a few times before it needs replaced. Note that this is a 5/16" barb, you can get it to work with new 1/4" ID hose but it will be a little tighter to get on the bars. Hose is cheap so I wouldn't worry about that expense.

http://pingelonline.com/powerflo.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:03 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Lancaster
Just did mine. Got a filter at oreilly's for $3.00. Website said the store didn't have any, but the website was wrong.

Estimated installation time: 30 seconds.

Easiest mod I've made yet :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:01 am 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
City: Dallas
I got a filter from my Honda dealer that looks just like the one in the first post, but I can't get it to fit without kinking the line. I'm not nuts about the idea of running the line down below the level of the carburetor and back up. Is it okay to do so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:35 am 

Fridgitator wrote:
I got a filter from my Honda dealer that looks just like the one in the first post, but I can't get it to fit without kinking the line. I'm not nuts about the idea of running the line down below the level of the carburetor and back up. Is it okay to do so?

Get a button type filter, they are shorter.

Howard

Post subject: Re: Any experience with Peko filters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:43 am 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
State/Province: PA
City: Marietta
soprych wrote:
Does anyone have experience with these filters?

I picked up a shorter version at my FLIB with a replacement element for about $10. I do like the idea that I can clean out the element if I am on the road. you can see it in the garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:33 pm 

State/Province: TN
City: Camden
Fridgitator wrote:
You need to remove about an inch from the line. Basically make the line the same length as it was before adding the filter.

86' Limited 250 - 1 of 600 made :rofl:
92' Shadow 1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:07 am 

State/Province: KS
City: City
So does the fuel line need to be changed too? Or is that just what people do...???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 am 

no need to change the line if the current one is in good condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:24 pm 

State/Province: FL
City: Southwest
After reading this thread, I decided to install an in-line fuel filter on my Rebel 250. The auto parts guys sold me a 1/4" in-line filter from the lawn mower section. :oops: The packaging claims it is suitable for all air cooled engines. It looks a lot like what you all have in your photos, maybe not as long. Is it possible for a lawn mower filter to work on my Rebel? I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. :P
Thanks, Pearlish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:49 pm 

The filter don't care if it's on a lawn mower, motorcycle, outboard, pressure washer pump or any other piece of equipment, it filters gas.

Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:57 pm 

I bought my filter from a lawnmower repair shop. By the photos I've seen, it's identical to the ones several others here got from NAPA and other sources.

Loud ties save lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:07 pm 

My thanks to both of you for your replies. Reassurance is a wonderful thing.

Pearlish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:13 pm 

You're welcome. Remember to install it with the pointy end toward the petcock, and don't kink the fuel line. I used some small hose clamps on mine; others have not.

Loud ties save lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:50 pm 

State/Province: TN
City: Camden
Keep an eye on those Napa filters. So far 2 of the 4 I got have developed leaks on the ridge where the 2 halves meet. :evil:
I ordered some real Vis-a-filter ones to replace them. If they fail I'm going to the aluminum Emgo ones next.

86' Limited 250 - 1 of 600 made :rofl:
92' Shadow 1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:32 pm 

:D WooHoo! I did it. It took about 5 minutes. Thank you for all the information contained in this thread, it increased my confidence and took the doubt out of making the first cut to the fuel line. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:43 pm 

Earlier today, I looked at my fuel filter after about 2000 miles of use, and noticed that it looked bent. I thought it was an illusion from the way the house is seated on it, but when I felt the end of the hose, it became obvious that the nipple broke off the pointy end, and the only reason it isn't leaking is because I shoved the hose and clamp on past the nipple as far they would go. I have no idea how long it has been running like this, but it is unsettling. I'd hate to have the thing come loose and run gas all over the side of the bike going down the highway. I guess I'll be driving the cage to work in the morning. :shock:

Loud ties save lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:22 pm 

State/Province: IL
City: Lansing
I installed a filter on mine and had it crack at the pointy end too. I was lucky and noticed the leak just as I was leaving the driveway. I have looked for a filter with a 90 degree inlet or outlet but no luck so far, a 90 would make the install so much easier and would probably prevent any cracking.

1986 Rebel 250

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 pm 

fibersport wrote:
I installed a filter on mine and had it crack at the pointy end too. I was lucky and noticed the leak just as I was leaving the driveway. I have looked for a filter with a 90 degree inlet or outlet but no luck so far, a 90 would make the install so much easier and would probably prevent any cracking.

The thought plickens. I picked up another filter today. When I took the old one out, I found this:

The nipple wasn't broken off; it was just so soft that it felt like it. While it was still wet with gas, I could squeeze it nearly shut with my fingers, and easily bend it to the point of kinking. Now that it has had a couple hours to dry, it has stiffened up some, but it's still fairly soft. I replaced it with a Briggs & Stratton. White plastic body. It will do until I get a stainless and glass type. The only things that have been through this are gas (with ethanol) and small doses of Seafoam. I don't know what to make of this. :o

Loud ties save lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:11 pm 

I just went to get a replacement and all they had were the button types.
Not sure how to tell which way the fuel is meant to flow in a button type. Any hints?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next