It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Carb FAQ & Discussion ... cleaning, parts diagram, etc
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:52 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Look up the parts diagram at any oem parts supplier.

http://hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=135521&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2002&fveh=3191

Good luck. "Search" will have carb cleaning threads.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:44 am 

Rebel: 125
msecrest wrote:
One question: Is it possible to take the carberator off without removing the fuel tank or does it make it a lot easier to remove and install?

hmmm nice tips.. :wavey1:

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:40 pm 

erikasha wrote:
msecrest wrote:
One question: Is it possible to take the carberator off without removing the fuel tank or does it make it a lot easier to remove and install?

hmmm nice tips.. :wavey1:

Removing the tank make re-installing easier (see the note about lubing the rubber connector before re-installing the carb (I hit the inside and outside with dialectric grease before shoving the sleeve into itself just prior to reattaching the carb; this provides clearance to get the carb in place, then you've got to get the sleeve to the aircleaner over the carb intake)).

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:12 am 

Motorcycle: 1987 Honda Rebel 450
Rebel: 450
State/Province: CA
I had to be directed to this site!
I just "sold" a 1987 Honda Rebel 450 that I bought new in 1987!
It's in almost mint cond. except for gunked/stuck carbs issues and a chok/cok?? which I didn't know about. Also, I threw in the deal 1 extra new front tire, OEM manuel, new battery, new oil filter, OEM tail lamp pair the box (bought in in '89) just incase, and a gasket kit! I got $1000.00 bartered for it, but although the engine turns over it has the carburator problem. I need to get him a carbs rebuilt/replacement! He took apart the carbs and most of the bike already. I'm now not sure what he's done to it! He dumped the entire carburator parts in a bucket of gasoline and said they needed to soak for a few days then he came back that next day and said he wanted out of the deal and wanted a refund. I told him how long the thing had sat prior to the deal, but he wanted it anyway! It's beautiful and been kept up except for carbs issues and light dust. Everyone I've spoken to says I should have just sold it on the internet and would have gotten even more for it than I got.I think anyone would have known that sitting for so long it would have had to have some money put into it just to get it up and running! I said I'd get the carbs fixed for him and so tomorrow I'm out $ for the stupid thing. I let it go as an "as is", but he's our neighbor! I guess it's the right thing to do, but can't help feel I was taken for the ride here.
What do you think, am I confused or ?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:40 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Based on your side of the story, here's what I think:
He bought a non-running bike 'as is'. I trust it says this on the bill of sale. At that point, pending some other agreement, the bike was unconditionally his.
He dismantled the carbs and soaked them in gasoline, as a form of 'carb cleaning'. If gasoline were a 'carb cleaner', then carbs would likely never need cleaning, and there would be no such thing as 'carb cleaner'. This fellow knows less about bikes and engines than he purports. In any case, he dismantled the bike, so it is, even more so, HIS!
Unfortunately, you have now verbally committed to getting the carbs 'fixed', and so its more or less back in your garage until its running again. You can almost be guaranteed that, following the carb issue correction, he will be back in your yard with every other issue arising from his ownership of a 27 year old bike. Since he has expressed interest in getting out of the deal, I would instead hand him his money back, get the carb issue addressed, clean the bike up (don't sell a dusty bike), and put it back on the market in running condition (if possible). In any case, under no circumstances let him buy the bike again. If any carb or other parts are now missing or damaged as a result of his work on the bike, then you can reasonably deduct their value from the money you return to him. If he objects, explain that you have paid unreasonable tuition at the University of Bike Selling, and he can view his minimal loss as a similar fee.
Sure, he's a neighbour, but it doesn't sound like he's the kind who takes responsibility for his actions.

Now, if you had led him to believe it was a running bike, I suppose that might be a different matter. But those four little words 'as is, where is' should appear on most private used bike sales.
Keep us posted.
brent

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:47 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
I see in your other post you are contemplating buying a new set of carbs. Please be sitting down when they quote you the price....
My guess is that they can be rebuilt/salvaged, so don't worry about that. But (and I repeat myself) soaking in gasoline will not clean residue left behind by evaporating gasoline. Your dealer/bike shop will likely soak the carb parts (without the rubber and plastic bits) in a commercial carb cleaner, and it will come out sparkling.

I see now that you mentioned the bike had sat for 20 years. If your neighbour thought he could buy such a bike and then have it on the road the next day, he probably should not be allowed near anything more mechanical than an electric toothbrush. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 am 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
State/Province: TX
City: Fort Worth
wheezeburnt wrote:
I see now that you mentioned the bike had sat for 20 years. If your neighbour thought he could buy such a bike and then have it on the road the next day, he probably should not be allowed near anything more mechanical than an electric toothbrush. :roll:

I don't know he may find a way to shock himself :teehee1:

Ohh as said earlier. Give him his money back and be done with it. Otherwise you'll have nothing but heart ache from this neighbor from now till the end of time.

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:16 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Athens
Members,
I just finished cleaning and rebuilding the carb on my 2009 Rebel. I used an after market rebuild kit that had the rubber float bowl gasket, a new needle valve, and two small O rings. I cleaned the carb in a hot water bath at a local cycle shop and used a set of carb wires and brushes (bought off the internet) to gently probe all of the holes that I could get to. I blew compressed air through all holes and did the reassemble with new screws (as the ones on the carb had been pretty badly mangled--I had had to use my Dremel to cut new deeper slots in 50% of the screws and then impact them off). I've set the butterfly idle screw to just a crack open but without a manual, I'm in need of guidance in setting the mixture/air screws that got the new O rings. Usually I'd just snug these up and then back them out 1 and 1/2 turns as a starting point, but this is a new machine to me, so without an owner's manual or other guidance I need to ask....
John
Athens, Ga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:53 am 

IIRC, it is 2 3/4 turns from gently snug for the air mixture screw. My shop manual went with the last Rebel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:26 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Athens
Thank you. I appreciate the tip.
John
Athens, GA