It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Upgrade 250 to 450
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:04 am 

Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Rebel
Rebel: 250
State/Province: CO
City: Denver
I have a 250. Is it possible to get a 450 engine and install it into a 250? Are the frames the same?

Post subject: Re: Upgrade 250 to 450
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Frames are very different. Can't be done without significant frame revisions, and the 250 frame isn't designed to support the heavier engine.
Oh, and welcome.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:36 am 

Thanks. I just learned how to ride and I got this 250 Rebel just to gain muscle memory but I love it. I'd like to outfit it to comfortably go from Colorado to Kansas and back again twice or three times a year and possibly further on occasion. Perhaps it would be better and easier to just get the Triumph I want, either an America or Speedmaster.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:39 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
City: Fredericton
Perhaps so..... The easiest and cheapest way to transform a bike into something it isn't, is to trade that bike in on something more like what you want.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:47 am 

Especially on Craig's list. I got this 1985 250cc for $1,100 and then had it checked out for about $300. In my opinion very cheap and easy. Thanks for your expertise.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:52 am 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
There is no reason a Rebel can't make the trip. I've taken mine on several long trips like that.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:00 pm 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
State/Province: PA
City: Marietta
^ ditto.. Did 4800 miles (PA-FL-TX-PA) in 10 days on my 250 a couple of years ago. It'll do it...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:37 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
A Rebel 250 will take you anywhere you want to go, on road. Comfortably is another matter. I'm 6' 225 with a 34" inseam, and simply did not fit on it for more than a few miles at the time. I modified the pegs and controls to make them 4" forward of stock, and removed a part of the seat so I could sit farther back. That made it a lot easier. Moving the pegs/controls requires some fabrication and some mechanical ability. But there is an easier way, for highway use. Just put an engine guard on it, and bolt some highway pegs to that. Somewhere on here is a "how to" on how to remove the steel plate from the seat.

However, if you are not yet a Rebel fanatic, you're right, it would be easier to get a bike that fits you properly to begin with. Those Triumphs are nice bikes, wouldn't mind having one myself, though I'd be more inclined toward the standard Bonneville. Used to own a '66.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:46 pm 

I'm about 5'5" so it's the right size for me. My concern is pushing it in 5th gear high in the rpms for hours. I know they're famous for toughness and longevity but...I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:29 am 
Forum Moderator

They are indeed known for their toughness and longevity. But I would caution you to avoid running at top speed for long distances on ANY machine. I would recommend that you select a route that will allow you to ride at 55 to 60 mph without impeding traffic, carry an extra quart of 10w40, and be sure to check your oil frequently. You WILL burn a little more oil on those long, faster runs.
Not to say you should avoid the superslab; lord knows its probably impossible or impractical to do so. Just try to avoid running for hours at wide open throttle. Keep your crankcase full, your tires inflated and your chain lubed, and your bike should be fine.

I'm sure you know this, but you'll need to work yourself up to this extended riding. A couple of 10 hour rides in your local area will give you a good idea if this is really what you want to do. Multi-day touring is a lot of fun, but it can be taxing, both mentally and physically.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:01 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
wheezeburnt wrote:
I would recommend that you select a route that will allow you to ride at 55 to 60 mph without impeding traffic, carry an extra quart of 10w40, and be sure to check your oil frequently. You WILL burn a little more oil on those long, faster runs.

And swap the spark plugs out for the cooler ones for long distance/higher revving. Check your owners manual for that info.

Support your FLIBS - they're more valuable than you realize

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:38 am 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
NGK CR7HS is the cooler plug recommended in the manual for the first generation Rebel.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:10 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
JerryH wrote:
A Rebel 250 will take you anywhere you want to go, on road. Comfortably is another matter. I'm 6' 225 with a 34" inseam, and simply did not fit on it for more than a few miles at the time.
<snip>

However, if you are not yet a Rebel fanatic, you're right, it would be easier to get a bike that fits you properly to begin with..

With one exception, I completely agree with this.

wheezeburnt wrote:
They are indeed known for their toughness and longevity. But I would caution you to avoid running at top speed for long distances on ANY machine. I would recommend that you select a route that will allow you to ride at 55 to 60 mph without impeding traffic... <snip>

That's the exception.

If you can make it entirely on roads that don't require you to exceed 60-65, you'll be fine. If you wind up on a road where the average speed is 75 in the slow lane, you'll have trouble. That's the only reason I'm in the process of moving to a larger bike. I still have the Rebel, but it's just not practical for most of the routes to anywhere from where I now live. I used to be able to get anywhere on smaller highways, now I'm bounded by two of them with speed limits of 65, and frequent averages above 75. I just don't feel safe on that with the Rebel.

The other issue is physical size: I did a ~75 mile run on the Rebel last summer. Just a long loop, with a short break in the middle. It started out fantastically comfortable, but by the end I felt like I was trying to sit on a toy trike; my legs were cramped, and I ended up sitting on the back seat. Now, I'm about 6', and I like having a lot of legroom. If you're shorter (which it sounds like you are), you shouldn't have that problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:46 pm 

Google maps has an option for avoiding highways and another for tolls in finding directions.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey, I ride a 1250cc touring bike, and I use the 'avoid highways' function, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:39 pm 

Ok so i won't go through the trouble and expense of replacing an engine but I do want to get a bigger gas tank, high forward footrest, windshield, sissy bar to bungee down waterproof duffle bags. That kind of thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:45 pm 

Motorcycle: 1999 Rebel CMX
State/Province: FL
City: Summerfield
Greetings vonachen,

Touring on a Rebel, can be a very exciting Adventure. Or your worst Nightmare. For me, the engine vibrations and the seat required some minor modifications. My wife and I spent 30 days on an Adventure to the Ozarks Mountains in Arkansas. July and August, 2009. Total miles for the Trip was 8,612. We were both on Rebel 250's.

Do some daily trips. Start with a 100 mile trip first. Then increase by 100 miles on addition Trips. The goal is 300 to 500 miles, in a 10 hour day. This will answer the Question. Am I enjoying the Trips on a Rebel.

1999 Honda Rebel VQR234se
. . . . . 42,000+ Miles . . . . . .

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:10 pm 

Took a trip from downtown Denver to Mt. Evans, or at least as far as I could go. They don't open up the final 5 miles until May 24th. It's the highest elevation paved road in the United States, one of the 52 14ers. Experienced pretty extreme reduction of power due to lack of oxygen, myself included. It was a two hour trip there and two hours back through twisty mountain roads. Legs really needed to be stretched out. Pretty uncomfortable. The last hour I just wanted to be home. Overall it was the adventure I wanted.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel
State/Province: MO
City: Leadwood
amckenzie4 wrote:
The other issue is physical size: I did a ~75 mile run on the Rebel last summer. Just a long loop, with a short break in the middle. It started out fantastically comfortable, but by the end I felt like I was trying to sit on a toy trike; my legs were cramped, and I ended up sitting on the back seat. Now, I'm about 6', and I like having a lot of legroom. If you're shorter (which it sounds like you are), you shouldn't have that problem.

I believe the size thing is well over-hyped. I am 6'6" (36" inseam), and as one could imagine, the 2007 Rebel I have is not custom fit to my size. That said, the Rebel is a Cruiser, which means the pedals are forward. My cousin has a Ninja, and I would not want to drive over 15 miles on that thing. I drive my Rebel a lot, and after 120 miles of riding on it, I do want a break from it. That said, after driving 120 miles in my Silverado I would want a break too, but with my bike I have an excuse, fuel, to pull over and rest.

Yes, the Rebel is a smaller bike, but even if you are a taller person, I would still recommend at least starting on a Rebel before getting a different bike to fit your size. I am quite content with my Rebel, I get 70mpg hauling my 250lbs body around and I can cruise down the highway 60-65 with ease. Perfect bike for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
City: Fredericton
Just a niggling point here, you don't DRIVE a motorcycle, you RIDE it. There are no such things as motorcycle drivers.. only RIDERS.
Oh and at 6' 1" with a 32 inch inseam I find the Rebel pretty small. It must look really tiny under you. I would think your would be migrating to one of those tall dual sports eventually if you decide to move up.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate