It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: help! Carburetor sealed forever on 450
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:56 pm 

Motorcycle: 1987 Honda Rebel 450
Rebel: 450
State/Province: CA
Sold the 1987 Rebel 450 and new owner can't get carburetor open. Do we soak in gasoline, mineral spirits, acetone or what? He said that using acetone could be damaging to rubber. Gaskets are all intact, but gas and engine oil all gunked up and not moving anything inside old gas has stained things inside preventing everything from moving! What does or can anyone suggest in regards to a fix? This bike has only 35k origanal mi. on the engine and almost mint outside! Worth the time and money to try to fix, right? Any help and advice from here we would be very greatful for. Thanks, Dee Dee

Post subject: Re: help! Carburetor sealed forever on 450
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
I assume you mean the 4 screws on the floatbowls are bunged up and seized. If the screw heads are still good, an impact screwdriver will probably remove them. If not, a drill bit will remove the screwheads and then the stumps can be extracted with vicegrips.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:41 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
I've read both your posts here, and its still not clear what the problem is. Is it, as Jim guessed, the screws are seized? or does the piston refuse to move? Since you say that gasoline has stained everything inside, I'm guessing the carb is already apart??? If its the screws, is it the four on the bottom, or the four on the top? Is it just one carb, or both? Sounds like a very badly varnished carb. Any chance the main needle is bent? And yes, acetone will pretty much destroy any rubber parts in there. How about 'carb cleaner'? Its pretty much custom made to do what you want to do.
brent

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:49 am 

Thanks wheezburnt,
I think I'm going to have to replace both carbs for the "new owner"
(right thing to do) he's also my neighbor! Don't know how much it'll cost yet,
but I feel bad for the guy. I told him it was parked for 20 plus years and never really saw the light of day. I was told by the mechanic a couple of years ago all the
gas/oil was drained out, but I guess "not ALL"! New owner was really trying his best to get it cleaned out so he could take it out on a ride this Sunday. I sure hope someone here might know what type of carburetor rebuild /replacement and costs might be. Sure would help me out. (I'd appreciate any)
Thanks, Dee Dee

I'm in So. Cal. high desert.........

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:15 am 

Sorry people, what I meant to say is the carbs are all gunked up and a gas valve switch is stuck shut too and I dunno what it's called, choak cok or something like that, anyway I don't know anything about Honda motorbikes other than, put gas in, ck tire pressure, ck mirrors, go! I posted here because my Dad was a bike enthusiast. Harley's, Hondas, BMW's, and a few other half dozen. He was what the world called a "hard core" biker! He was the go to guy. He's passed on to be with Jesus, but he could customize anything! I really miss him for now. Ohhh...
Well, I hope someone/anyone might give me an opinion about this situation I seem to have now.
Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
For starters, get a bucket of carb cleaner and consider a 24 or 36 hour soak in there. Yes: there's a good chance it will eat up some of the rubber bits, but frankly, if you're carb is lacquered into a paperweight already, you should already be planning on new rubber everything once you open it up. Go ahead and start pricing what a good sonic cleaning will cost locally, too: makes more difference than simple words could ever hope to convey.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."