It is currently Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: replacing the headlight bulb
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 1985 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: ON
City: Canada
hello can someone tell me if i can replace the original headlight bulb or do i have to buy a whole new assembly light?? the light is very dim at night and i want to replace it. second question if i replace the whole assembly can i get a bigger light? as the rebel light assembly is small.

Post subject: Re: replacing the headlight bulb
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:33 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
You can change the bulb. However, you have an 85, and you will probably find it a lot cheaper to upgrade to a 60/55 H4 (newer style) headlight than to to replace your current bulb, which is pretty much everything but the chrome bucket. :lol: Additionally, you'll be getting far superior light output. It's not bigger, but it's roughly twice the wattage, and a much higher quality light.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:37 am 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Fort Worth
Or you could put a headlight from a Vstar Classic on. It's huge and puts out more light then my grand prix does with two!

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:04 pm 

thanks for the input guys. where would be the best place to buy one? online ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:59 pm 
Forum Administrator

Just about anywhere. Seems like Jack's sold one that was nearly identical to the stock unit in terms of looks. And if that's not good enough, he might have a salvaged stock unit from a newer Rebel (which already runs such a set-up) on hand. This makes the wiring a bit easier, too. ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:16 pm 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
City: Dallas
I recently bought one of Jack's headlights. Slightly different shape, and different mount. I had to buy a bolt to make it work. No biggie. I'm quite happy with it.

The one on the left is stock from an '09 250.

Loud ties save lives

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 am 

Duke, I always thought that the whole unit(chrome bucket included) had to be replaced on 85-87's. You say the bulb can be replaced - can you explain, as I need to do this, as well?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:22 am 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
Rebel: None
City: Fort Worth
Sealed beam is when the lense is part of the bulb. On those you remove the trim ring unplug the light and remove it from a bucket. The new ones you unplug the bulb and remove the bulb the lense stays in place.

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
Classic headlight.

Late model headlight.

The bulb for the classic costs almost as much as a whole replacement unit and puts out less light.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:14 pm 

thanks great info thanks. im going to buy a new one because on my 85 rebel the light is way to dim. i might as well tape a flashlight to the handle bars. or my helmet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 pm 
Forum Administrator

Do the h4 upgrade. A new 35/35 bulb (the original sealed beam headlight) isn't going to be any brighter than what you've got now. ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:00 pm 

State/Province: NE
To get access to the bulb, what screws are loosened? For some odd reason, I was not able to open my headlight bucket.

From the diagram it looks like #19, is that correct?

2006 CMX250 White Rebel
2007 CMX250 Red Rebel
2008 BMW F800ST

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 pm 
Forum Administrator

If memory serves, #19 and # 3. It may not be three, but there is a screw in a symmetrical location to #19.

Once you get those screws out, you have to gently wiggle out the bottom of the bezel (the "trim ring") and unhook it from a tab in the top of the bucket.

I'm assuming you mean on the newer style, because-- while I know my eyes are old!-- there isn't a 19 in the diagram for the Classic. :lol:

Actually, if you look into the drawing of the bucket, toward the bottom on the inside, you'll get a real good understanding of just where those screws come through.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 am 

State/Province: NE
I have what appears to be adjuster screws, located at 5 and 7 o'clock. They turn, but do not retract and from what I can see, seem to be surrounded by a spring or coil, I could be wrong.

An inch or so to the "south" on either side, are two small nuts. The two nuts then, are the ones that open the headlight bucket, right?

#3, according to the diagram, is at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock, but not visible from the outside.

2006 CMX250 White Rebel
2007 CMX250 Red Rebel
2008 BMW F800ST

Post subject: Screws for the headlight assembly on a 2006 Honda Rebel CMX2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:02 pm 

Motorcycle: 2006 White Rebel 250
State/Province: Wa
City: Kirkland
Late model headlight.

Where did the pictures come from? I need the to buy replacements for screw numbers 15 and 16 on the late model headlight. I went down to home depo and picked up something that will hold it together well enough but it doesn't look as nice and so if I can get OEM parts I want to do so and getting the descriptions for the parts would get me one step closer...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1985-honda-rebel-250-cmx250c/o/m151691

Check out bike bandit's parts fiche for part numbers. Also useful for figuring out how things go together.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:34 pm 

Motorcycle: 86 rebel 250, 99 shadow ace to
State/Province: oh
City: Mason
It would also be advisable to replace your regulator/rectifier (2000 and up which is 14.5v stock is 13.5v).
Some folks have gone the H4(55/60w) setup and been fine, others had their starter button over heat and fail. (Headlight draws power through the start button by connecting the power from the headlight fuse to the high/low switch. While the button is out, the headlight is connected. When the button is pushed the headlight disconnects. Higher wattage means more total power must flow through all the headlight wiring.) H4 equipped Rebels have a ten amp headlight fuse. Your '87 has a seven amp fuse. You may also want to replace that with the higher amperage fuse.

recap:
stock
headlight (35/36v)
rectifier (13.5v)
headlight fuse (7 v)

upgrade
h4 headlight(55/60v)
2000 and up newer rectifier (14.5v)
replace with 10v fuse

86 rebel 250 for sale with mods $2500
86 rebel 450
99 shadow ACE tourer 1100
85 elite 150d
85 elite 150

video Channel
http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction
Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/PhillbillyProduction

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:36 pm 
Forum Administrator

Changing the regulator isn't necessary. It's a nice thing to do, but that's regardless of the headlight upgrade. It doesn't add any more power; it allows slightly more efficient use of the high-end charging revs, but it doesn't gain more power. The tradeoff for higher voltage is lower amperage. That is, when all draws are being sufficiently met, the voltage can climb higher. However, as amp load is increased, the voltage will drop accordingly.

With the 13.5v regulator, there is a lower maximum voltage, but it also takes a higher amp load (that is, an amp load equal to what would pull the 14.5 setting down to 13.5, plus enough to drop below 13.5) to drop off maximum voltage.

Amperage and voltage are tightly related to each other. Without actually increasing the over-all output capacity of the charging unit, the only way to increase one is to sacrifice the other. Changing the regulator / rectifier will not increase the capacity of the charging system.

However, I advocate the change out even to those who make no other modifications simply because the newer style component is a more efficient unit, and raising the voltage set point allows for more efficient use of the charging system when there are no major draws significant enough to drop the voltage.

The downside is that a lot of 12v LEDS tend to suffer shortened lifespans when you get to 14v. Granted, a "shortened" lifespan for something that can ideally give 30,000 hours is still pretty impressive. :lol:

The wiring harness in the starter button is identical to every Honda put together since the 80s, including today's machines that come from Honda with 55/60 H4 bulbs.

Doesn't mean it won't fail-- it does. Been through it a number of times. But it will also fail with the old sealed beam, all other circumstances being equal: the wires through the starter button aren't really heavy enough for that, either.

The problem though, isn't the wires by themselves. It's the switch: it's too tiny and too lightweight for the constant arcing. And the design doesn't give it any choice other than arcing, even at half the original load.

Changing the fuse isn't really necessary. Honestly, given the lightweight wiring in the starter button assembly anyway, I'd tend to not due it, just as a bit of protection.

Even at plain battery voltage of 12-ish, 60 watts will only draw 5 amps. At full output of the original rectifier (13.5), it will draw only 4.444-- amps.

If someone does the rectifier swap, then at maximum voltage output, the high beam will draw only 4.1379 amps. Even at ignition, no charge voltage of 12v, the draw of 5 amps must be exceeded by nearly 30 percent just to hit 7 amps. Given that most fuses have a slight over-current allowance (i.e., "slow blow" for small, brief overages), by the time the 60/55 blows the 7 amp fuse, there are much bigger problems at stake. A ten amp fuse would allow _double_ the required current (and 2.25 times the normal 14.5v draw) to pass through the circuit before blowing. That's not a lot of protection, especially if you've just shelled out 60-100 bucks for a full-on conversion.

The only thing upping the fuse is going to do is make it easier to tap the headlight circuit for additional accessories at some future point. Given the lightweight design of the starter button itself, I couldn't recommend that on any sized fuse.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:35 am 

Duke thanks for all your in site on the this and electrical experience.. I think you love to write book..lol
I believe I will change out the rectifier just because.. Any yes I guess if the start switch burns out it burns out.. surprised no one has made a heavier switch to help with burn out yet.
I did pick up a H$ conversion kit from my Honda dealer for 40 bucks. came with light bucket and light and wiring. it did not have the little metal slot at the top of old light. so that means it could rotate in the bucket.

Now my other concern is have added a lot to my rebel to make it look like a cruiser. I have added crash bars and lower running lights 55w on the crash bars. Now with the H4 conversion and the lower running lights will do an over draw on the system and cause the bike not to charge the battery? Or will I have to try it out and see what the volts at the battery are with everything running?

Duke wrote:
Changing the regulator isn't necessary. It's a nice thing to do, but that's regardless of the headlight upgrade. It doesn't add any more power; it allows slightly more efficient use of the high-end charging revs, but it doesn't gain more power. The tradeoff for higher voltage is lower amperage. That is, when all draws are being sufficiently met, the voltage can climb higher. However, as amp load is increased, the voltage will drop accordingly.

With the 13.5v regulator, there is a lower maximum voltage, but it also takes a higher amp load (that is, an amp load equal to what would pull the 14.5 setting down to 13.5, plus enough to drop below 13.5) to drop off maximum voltage.

Amperage and voltage are tightly related to each other. Without actually increasing the over-all output capacity of the charging unit, the only way to increase one is to sacrifice the other. Changing the regulator / rectifier will not increase the capacity of the charging system.

However, I advocate the change out even to those who make no other modifications simply because the newer style component is a more efficient unit, and raising the voltage set point allows for more efficient use of the charging system when there are no major draws significant enough to drop the voltage.

The downside is that a lot of 12v LEDS tend to suffer shortened lifespans when you get to 14v. Granted, a "shortened" lifespan for something that can ideally give 30,000 hours is still pretty impressive. :lol:

The wiring harness in the starter button is identical to every Honda put together since the 80s, including today's machines that come from Honda with 55/60 H4 bulbs.

Doesn't mean it won't fail-- it does. Been through it a number of times. But it will also fail with the old sealed beam, all other circumstances being equal: the wires through the starter button aren't really heavy enough for that, either.

The problem though, isn't the wires by themselves. It's the switch: it's too tiny and too lightweight for the constant arcing. And the design doesn't give it any choice other than arcing, even at half the original load.

Changing the fuse isn't really necessary. Honestly, given the lightweight wiring in the starter button assembly anyway, I'd tend to not due it, just as a bit of protection.

Even at plain battery voltage of 12-ish, 60 watts will only draw 5 amps. At full output of the original rectifier (13.5), it will draw only 4.444-- amps.

If someone does the rectifier swap, then at maximum voltage output, the high beam will draw only 4.1379 amps. Even at ignition, no charge voltage of 12v, the draw of 5 amps must be exceeded by nearly 30 percent just to hit 7 amps. Given that most fuses have a slight over-current allowance (i.e., "slow blow" for small, brief overages), by the time the 60/55 blows the 7 amp fuse, there are much bigger problems at stake. A ten amp fuse would allow _double_ the required current (and 2.25 times the normal 14.5v draw) to pass through the circuit before blowing. That's not a lot of protection, especially if you've just shelled out 60-100 bucks for a full-on conversion.

The only thing upping the fuse is going to do is make it easier to tap the headlight circuit for additional accessories at some future point. Given the lightweight design of the starter button itself, I couldn't recommend that on any sized fuse.

86 rebel 450
85 elite 150d
85 elite 150

video Channel
Facebook Page

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:48 am 

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.????

cant upload pic sorry

86 rebel 450
85 elite 150d
85 elite 150

video Channel
Facebook Page