All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Introduction and post about Honda Rebel Clutches
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Pardon my laziness, but I don't have the heart to wade through this whole thread again, so let me just ask: What oil are you using in these multiple oil changes?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:07 pm 

Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Rebel
Rebel: 250
State/Province: TX
City: Houston
I am using exactly what Honda and the manual recommends 1.6 qts. GN4 4 10W-40SJ 4 stroke oil per the manual and per Honda Service. I don't think it is much count and I was told it is the same blend as what they used back when they used straight weight oil and it was made for Honda by either Castrol or Valvoline back in the old days. Starting at my next oil change I will be using Vavoline 10W-40. The name Honda does not hold much value as does Harley Davidson which I rode most of my adult life and still do on occasion but not anything newer than '99.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:04 pm 

One last thing, I have removed the water and Ethanol from 5 gals. of gas several different times because you cannot buy gasoline without Ethanol (E10) here and it runs just as well as it does on E10. I have a sample of E10 & my sample stored in a sealed jars and I want to see if it goes bad like E10 does, so far it has been 3 months and it has not changed. The E10 is already turning orange color and ethanol is settling out to the bottom. That is what plugs up carbs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 pm 

Motorcycle: 1999 CMX250C Rebel
State/Province: GA
City: Avera
I tried to warn you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:40 pm 

Like I said, I do not talk BS and ignorance is hereditary. I quit discussing clutch springs and moved on to another topic that should be of interest to any whether it is you lawnmower, power washer, generator and even your motorcycle. I work on these every day and believe me I quit preaching to people because it is a waste of time, just keep believing that additives and leaving gasoline setting around for 2 -4 months and you will find out the hard way. It took me a year to develop a process of cleaning carbs with pure water, yep that is right, it is amazing what you can do if you have the ability. I charge the same price to clean a carburetor as to replace it because it takes time to do it right. Right now my Rebel is winterized due to the summer heat, I am waiting for some cool weather in a couple of months and drive the crap out of it and hope the engine blows, I have a warranty claim with Honda of America for the metal in the oil and I still have 1 1/2 years to work out the kinks.
If it falls apart then I have a power band saw and I will cut it up into pieces in a matter of minutes, it is paid for and belongs to me. I have sent a few to motorcycle H... I have my own part time business doing warranty work on engines so I know how to play Honda's silly game. Anymore subjects of interest or questions, hell I am just getting started.